Contact Me

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Review: Firewalker by Allyson James




Title: Firewalker
Author: Allyson James
Series: Stormwalker, book 2
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Berkley
Format: E-book


“Janet Begay's Crossroads Hotel has attracted the supernatural ever since it opened. But a new, dark power is rising, this time inside Janet herself. Her boyfriend Mick, a sexy dragon shapeshifter the Navajo call a Firewalker, know what terrifying magic is threatening to overwhelm Janet and her Stormwalker powers. He watches over her, ready to fight for her, to do anything to keep her safe.
But then a mysterious corpse is found near the Crossroads Hotel-and Janet becomes the main suspect. Now Janet and Mick must uncover what really happened, and their investigation leads to the most perilous decision of their lives...”

Firewalker is the second book of the series Stormwalker by Allyson James.
This books starts couple of months after the end of book one (Stormwalker) with Mick been trapped inside a mountain by the dragons for breaking the dragon law when he didn’t kill Janet. Janet rescue him with the (force by blackmail) help of Nash Jones.

Little after their return to her hotel a body is found, super pain in the ass Sheriff Jones starts his investigation and of course Mick and Janet are the primary suspects.

Janet is trying to find out who was the killer, while dealing with all the stress of the Dragon “court date” that will decide Mick’s fate. Also her Beneath magic that was latent in the previous book is awaken after her visit to mommy’s land (Beneath); this is a dark magic that is trying to control her, she needs to learn how to deal with it and with her Stormwalker magic inherited from her father.

In this book we see previous characters as Maya, Coyote, Nash, and of course the devilish mirror and new ones as Cassandra a witch with a past that Janet hired as the hotel manager, Pamela a shapeshifer and Cassandra’s love interest and other dragons.

Janet is stronger and is not waiting for anybody to rescue her. She is growing up magically and emotionally. Mick, oh my God Mick (Can I have him?), he’s a kick-ass dragon when he needs to be and the loveliest man when he’s with Janet... Oh my! The things he said to her, the way he talks to her...Wow! 

The mirror had me cracking up, “it” is a great supporting character. I love its wittiness.

My favorite quotes:
  • My magical cherry had been broken at age eleven (Janet)
  • Nash stare at me. “That thing was your mother?”
“We are not responsible for our parents” I tried to joke. (Janet)
  • “Shit, Mick. I don’t want this. I don’t want any of this. Why can’t we just have a normal relationship?” (Janet)
  • “You really don’t know what he was?” (Janet)
“No, hot pants. Sorry” (Mirror)
“Well, if you remember anything else, let me know.”
“Sure thing. Tell you what, give me a little tongue, and I’ll see what I can think of.”
The thing never stopped “You’re a mirror.” I reminded it. “You don’t have body parts.”
“Hey, honey. I can dream.”
  • “Because I love you. And because I want to feast on you whenever I see you.” (Mick)
  • I put my hand over the glass. “What is it with your obsession with sex?” (Janet)
  • “I’m a mirror. I can only be a voyeur, so I have to go for it.”

In general I really like the book, it was a page turner for me and can’t wait to read book 3 of the series “Shadow Walker.”

I strongly recommend you read Stormwalker before getting into Firewalker. You won’t regret it.

Verdict: 4 ½ Paws

Other books in the series:
StormWalker
Firewalker
Shadow Walker - June 2011

Other Reviews Goodreads 
Visit Author's Website

2 comments:

  1. LOVe this series. Nash has to be my fav character. lol Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment.
    By the way it is the first comment on my blog. Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...