Contact Me

Friday, April 29, 2011

Friday's Short Review: The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale by Christine Bell


Title: The Twisted Tale of
Stormy Gale
Author: Christine Bell
Genre: Historical Romance, Steampunk, Time travel
Publisher: Carina Press
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“I'm a time pirate—born in 1810, now a 21st-century woman. I travel through time trying to right wrongs without disrupting the fragile balance between what is and what can never be.
That's why it's vital that I go to 1836 and find the man who conned my brother out of his Time Travel Mechanism as quickly as possible. If the technology falls into the wrong hands, it could change the world as we know it. The notorious Duke of Leister definitely qualifies as the wrong hands. An amateur scientist of the slightly mad variety, he's bound to figure out how to use the TTM sooner rather than later.
I knew this wouldn't be easy. But I wasn't counting on him being as sexy as hell. Or winding up chained to his bed…”

Stormy Gale was born in 1810 in London. Her childhood was lived begging in the streets along with other children. Until she had the fortune of meeting Gilly. He was a time traveler from the XXI century who took pity of her and her closest friend Bacon (Yes, that is his name) and offered them a better life with him in the future. They didn’t consider the offer twice and accepted. Gilly adopted and treated them as his own children. He also taught them the art of time traveling.
Now Stormy and Bacon are time-traveler pirates. Who go back in time to change little things that won’t affect the future and to acquire small artifacts to sell in ebay.
In one of those trips to the year 1936, Bacon lost his TTM (Time Traveler Mechanism). He lost it in a game of cards against the Loony Duke of Leister.  Now they need to recover it. A TTM in the wrong hands could be disastrous.
They schemed a plan to trick the Duke and recover the TTM; but things don’t go according to plan and the trickster is the one surprisingly tricked.

The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale is a short story, with an original plot. It was also quiet entertaining. But it was a little bit off pace; the first part of the story moves in a nice pace while the last third felt rushed.
I loved the contrast shown from life in the XIX century to the commodities of the XXI. I think the author did a great job explaining these differences in the lives of Stormy and Bacon. And loved it even more when Stormy is explaining them to Devlin, especially the part about dog’s grooming, LOL.

Stormy is a great character; she is compelling, caring, loyal and funny. Bacon is a young man with a good heart, and a little bit too innocent. He is always getting in trouble or screwing up. And Stormy is always rescuing him from these circumstances. They are not blood siblings but they love each other as if they were. Life’s circumstances had tied them together more than blood could ever have.
Devlin, I don’t know what to say about him, we see glimpses of him but nothing to deep to really get an impression. Ok, he is a good man and has been since he was a child, but further than there is not much we know about him.

My final thought: The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale is an entertaining story, with some good aspects and others no so good. As I said before I loved its original plot and I also loved the world created. But, yes there is a but here, and it’s with Devlin and the way things developed between him and Stormy, here is where I had some problems with the book. Devlin is an X person, we don’t know anything about him, who comes to Stormy life (again), they have a talk and suddenly they are in love… mmm… sorry, but no. I know The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale is a short story, but this could have been done a lot better. It was too much, too fast. This doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoyed it, because I did, maybe if it was a little bit longer Mrs. Bell could have done it better, without rushing events at the end.
If you want a fast, entertaining, original story with a touch of Steampunk, The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale is a good option for you.
I hope to see a longer sequel of this book.

My Verdict: 3½ Paws


Other reviews Goodreads


2 comments:

  1. This one sounds different and unique!
    I find many novellas tend to have a great pace in the beginning and end up feeling a little rushed at the end. I love the heroine's name, but Bacon? I would giggle every time I read it as it would make me think of either Phinn the horny unicorn in A Brush of Darkness or Tori! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, Yes Bacon is a weird name. In the book they explain the why of it and it's a cute explanation.
    I was very happy with the book, until the last third of it where so many things happened in a blink. :(

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...