Contact Me

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Review: Enclave by Ann Aguirre



Title: Enclave
Author: Ann Aguirre
Series: Razorland, book 1
Genre: Dystopian YA
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Format: E-book
“New York City has been decimated by war and plague, and most of civilization has migrated to underground enclaves, where life expectancy is no more than the early 20's. When Deuce turns 15, she takes on her role as a Huntress, and is paired with Fade, a teenage Hunter who lived Topside as a young boy. When she and Fade discover that the neighboring enclave has been decimated by the tunnel monsters—or Freaks—who seem to be growing more organized, the elders refuse to listen to warnings. And when Deuce and Fade are exiled from the enclave, the girl born in darkness must survive in daylight, in the ruins of a city whose population has dwindled to a few dangerous gangs. As the two are guided by Fade’s long-ago memories, they face dangers, and feelings, unlike any they’ve ever known.”
Enclave is the first book in the Razorland Series by Ann Aguirre.

The above description of the book pretty much summarizes it. I also don’t want to give much away; Enclave is a book you need to discover for yourself.

I’m not a fan of dystopian novels, with just the exception of The Hunger Games, but further than that I haven’t like any other book in this genre, until I read Enclave. And I did not liked Enclave, I LOVED IT!

To be honest, I wasn’t planning to read Enclave. All the previous dystopian novels I had read were predictable and repetitive. But last couple of weeks everywhere I was looking (Twitter, Goodreads,…) people were talking about it, so I said to myself, ok let’s see what’s all the noise about. And let me tell you that since the moment I started reading Enclave I didn’t do anything else until I finished it at three in the morning. I couldn’t do anything else. I was completely lost in its pages and the world Mrs. Aguirre created.

Talking about the world, it was magnificent. Sometimes I think about the book and for seconds I’m not sure if I read the book or watch the movie. My recollections of the scenes are so vivid that my brain gets confused and doesn’t know the difference.

I loved how real Mrs. Aguirre depicted every little detail within the world, the characters and the way their surroundings affected them.

Now getting to the characters: Deuce is a girl with an extraordinary endures. She is willing to sacrifice herself to save her friend. Her world was literally moved from under her feet, and still she prevailed. It’s not that she was not scared, because she was, but she is determined to do what was needed for her and Fade to survive. She also experienced a big cultural shock; almost everything in which she believed was false, and instead of falling apart she strengthened and matured.

Fade is a young man touch by tragedy and loss. For these reasons he is perceive as a very mysterious character. He has a secret and a painful past, he has never shared with anyone until he met Deuce. He is a protector, and somebody you can rely on. Slowly we learn more about him, and everything we learn about him makes us love him even more. He is a survivor in all the sense of the word.

Deuce and Fade depend on each other for their survival and the circumstances make them develop a very close relationship, where there may be feelings involved. But Deuce was never taught to love just to be a fighter (Huntress), so they will need to have a process of discovery and acceptance. I just hope when the time is right, they have their HEA; they are good for each other.

The secondary characters that standout the most are Stalker and Tegan. Both had a very difficult life, and because of that they have done horrible things. Stalker to keep the leadership position in a gang and Tegan because she was weak and was forced to. 
I wanted to hate Stalker, but his circumstances made me impossible to do it, he is the product of the society in which he grew up, and doesn’t know any better. But when he is given the opportunity to change and become someone better he grabbed it with both hands and began his improvement.

Other characters that standout are the Freaks. The Freaks are zombie like creatures that eats anything that is alive. They were very primitive in the beginning but slowly they are acquiring some level of intelligence and are becoming a bigger danger. I have my guesses about to them. I will see if I’m right in future books.

Enclave is a novel of survival, pack with action; with a plot that will have you glue to your seat. It has also a touch of romance, promises and possibilities.
Ann aguirre writing is spotless and entangling. And it will leave you wanting for more.
The first thing I did after finishing Enclave was to contact Mrs. Aguirre and ask her when was the next book in this series going to be available. She kindly let me know that Outpost will be release in Fall 2012. Is still a faraway date, but one I’m looking forward to.

I recommend this book to all dystopian lovers, same as YA lovers or any one who wants to read a great book.

My favorite quote:

“I never belonged anywhere until I met you,” he said, resting his cheek against my hair.
“I thought I did.”

My Verdict: 5 Paws



Other books in the series
Enclave
Outpost (Fall 2012)


Other reviews Goodreads


3 comments:

  1. I just got this book so I don't want to read the review yet..I don't like to know anything going in! But 5/5!!! YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Enclave lovers have convinced me. I ordered this today and should get to it...eventually. Very nice review Marcela!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandi, I really liked it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

    Julie, Thank you. I hope you like it... when you get to it. :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...