Contact Me

Monday, May 30, 2011

Review: Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione



Title: Pleasure Unbound
Author: Larissa Ione
Series: Demonica, book 1
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Format: E-book
“In a place where ecstasy can cost you your life . . .
She's a demon-slayer who hungers for sensual pleasure-but fears it will always be denied her. Until Tayla Mancuso lands in a hospital run by demons in disguise, and the head doctor, Eidolon, makes her body burn with unslakable desire. But to prove her ultimate loyalty to her peers, she must betray the surgeon who saved her life.
Two lovers will dare to risk all.
Eidolon cannot resist this fiery, dangerous woman who fills him with both rage and passion. Not only is she his avowed enemy, but she could very well be the hunter who has been preying upon his people. Torn between his need for the truth and his quest to find his perfect mate before a horrific transformation claims him forever, Eidolon will dare the unthinkable-and let Tayla possess him, body and soul...”

Pleasure Unbound is book one of the Demonica series by Larissa Ione.

Eidolon is the director and founder of the Underground General Hospital (UGH). A hospital specialized in provide care for Demons. Eidolon’s species is a kind of incubus demon called Seminus. He has also the power to heal. But his time is running out, he is about to turn hundred and with that age his final maturity change called the S’genesis will occur turning him into a vicious being powered with the need to impregnate every available female in his close proximity. They only thing that will prevent his fate is to find his mate.
When an injured human, nothing else than a demon slayer is brought to his hospital he decides to treat her against the wishes of his staff and his two brothers, Shade and Wraith, who also work for the hospital. His excuse for sparing Tayla’s life is that he is a doctor and he is sworn to provide treatment to a patient in need. But there is more to that, Eidolon finds the slayer intriguing and wants to know more about her.
When Tayla wakes up in a strange hospital she realizes there is something wrong, especially after the circumstances in which she wakes up.
Tayla remembers to be involved in a fight were her partner lost her life to a demon; she was also injured by the same demon and was dying, she doesn’t remember anything else after that.
Tayla has fought demons for over 8 years, since the day her mother was killed by one of them. She now belongs to an elite group of fighters called Aegis, their mission is to kill demons, vampires and all the other creatures that go bump in the night.
Tayla has been taught all demons are evil but now she owes her life to one of the creatures she lives to hate and kill and doesn’t know what to make of it.
Eidolon wants to trust Tayla, and wants to show her that not all demons are bad. Tayla wants to use Eidolon, now she has the opportunity to get valuable information for the Aegis.
But when things stopped to be black and white and become different shades of grey she starts to question her beliefs and everything she has based her life upon.

Even though Tayla is a compelling character I wasn’t completely drawn to her. Don’t take me wrong, she is a kick ass heroine but sometimes she was a little bit frustrating for me. She has a dark and turbulent past and has done all kind of things to survived.  Because of all those things that have happened to her, trusting is a very big issue. But she is smart and knows to accept when she is wrong.

Eidolon is a steamy, sexy, smart, charismatic doctor. He is a “good” demon, who is always trying to find a balance, not just for him but to help others.  He is very caring and loves his brothers deeply.

I loved the secondary characters in this book, specially Shade and wraith. I can say I sometimes liked them more than Tayla, although Tayla improves at the end of the book.

The world building is really good. There are hundreds of species of demons, all with different shapes, forms, powers and qualities. There are also vampires, were-animals, fallen angels and many more weird creatures. The plot is also different and interesting. The demons are not evil, at least not all of them. Things are not always what you expected, sometimes you find good where you thought just evil exist and evil where you thought it was all good. 
I had a little bit of a problem getting into the book, I think it was because all the weird names and demon terminology at the beginning, but after the first twenty pages or so, I got really into it and it became a page turner, I didn’t want to put down.

Pleasure Unbound is the perfect example of a well-written paranormal romance novel. It has complex characters, action packed pages, sizzling scenes and a well paced plot.
Pleasure Unbound was my first book by Larissa Ione and it will not be my last. I can’t wait to read the following books of this series.

Favorite quotes
  • The doctor had one hell of a bedside manner.
  • “So I didn’t get off. Tuck your ego in your pants and deal with it.”

My Verdict: 4 Paws


Other books in the series
Pleasure Unbound
Desire Unchained
Passion Unleashed
Ecstasy Unveiled
Sin Undone

Other reviews Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. I still haven't read book 2! Shame on me ;) I read this one a while back

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blodeuedd, I read the second one yesterday. It was better than this one. I'm planing to read book 3 soon, Wraith's book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I've read from book 3 onwards I don't know why I missed books 1 & 2! This makes me want to read them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ally, I think you should read them to know Doctor E. and Shade's story. I want to read book 3 but I won't be starting any book until I've finished with Kiss of Snow and Magic Slays... I can't wait for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once you get into the Demonica world, it's hard to get out of it. Larissa wrote one of the best PNR world out there - in my opinion. The brothers are great! I am happy you are reading these books! They are all awesome, but they get better and better with each book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie, Once you go Demonica you'll never go back? It looks like it. I already read book two and can't wait to start book 3. :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...