Contact Me

Friday, June 3, 2011

Friday's Short Review: Catch a Mate by Gena Showalter


Title: Catch a Mate
Author: Gena Showalter
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Harlequin
Format: E-book
“Jillian Greene is always getting caught in the act—it's her job! Working at Catch a Mate, Jillian gets paid by suspicious wives to smile, flirt and prove that no man can be trusted around the opposite sex. But she never gets physical—until a heart-stoppingly gorgeous male walks in.…
Marcus Brody has just been hired to test female fidelity. But the last thing Jillian needs is a partner…especially an infuriating, irresistible man who doesn't plan to let her get away with anything -- not even letting him go…”

Jillian Green hates men and thinks they are all pigs. She works for Catch a Mate (CAM) as bait for unfaithful men. Her feelings towards men started when she caught her father with another woman and her job haven’t help a bit to change her impression of men. 
Marcus Brody is the male version of Jillian; he hates women and thinks they are all sluts. When he comes to work for CAM there is an immediate attraction with Jillian. Attraction they want to avoid at all cost been the haters that they are. And here is when things get explosive and interesting between these two. 

I love Gena Showalter’s Lords of the Underworld series, but never thought about picking up a contemporary romance from her until Julie from Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks and Deanna from Paperback Daydreamer told me about Catch a Mate. And after reading Deanna’s review I knew I had to read it. The only think I can say to them is THANK YOU! 

Jillian is a hater but she has her reasons to be like that. Men had always behaved badly around her, with the exception of her brother, but the rest... Her hatred for men is so high that she even classified them by a scale called the pigometer. At the same time she is loving and caring with her family and friends. She is also very smart and witty. 

Marcus is a sarcastic god look alike; he is sexy as hell and a jerk with women. He thinks women are all cheaters. He also has his reasons for this; his wife left him for another man and his father cheated on his mother countless times. 

Jillian and Marcus fought the sparks since their first encounter. They don’t want to feel what they are feeling for each other because is “not right”, men are pigs and women are cheaters. Their way to avoid their attraction is by insulting each other, but there is a problem, they are “liking” their fighting-banter too much. 

The characters in Catch a Mate are interesting and entertaining. There is also a nice side story between Jillian’s brother, Brent and her best friend, Georgia. I also loved the pick up lines at the beginning of each chapter; they were hilarious. 
Another factor I liked a lot about in this book is how Mrs. Showalter shows the influence a parent can have on a child’s life. 

My final thought: I really loved Catch a Mate. I don’t remember laughing out loud this much with another book. I was planning to take Catch a Mate with me to the gym, but after couple of pages of non-stop laughs I decided it would be a hazard for my health to read it while exercising. 
Catch a Mate is one of those “pick-me-up” books you keep in an especial place in your bookcase to "read in case of emergency", when you are feeling down. 
This book was so good that I already gave one to my sister; I know she will love it as much as I did. 
As Julie and Deanna recommended it to me, now I’m recommending it to you.

My Verdict: 5 Paws

Other reviews Goodreads

5 comments:

  1. The book sounds fun and cute :D And yes I do enjoy when the couple do not like each other at first

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Catch a Mate is one of those “pick-me-up” books you keep in an especial place in your bookcase to "read in case of emergency", when you are feeling down."
    Yes. Very well said! The pick up lines at the beginning of each chapter cracked me up. I mean, do people actually use these? Hmm...there me a post somewhere there...lol I am SUPER happy you loved this book. Well, I knew you would since you enjoy Julie James and this book has heart like Julie's books. Very nice review Marcela!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blodeuedd, This book was hilarious. My stomach hurt from laughing while reading it.

    Julie, Thank you for your comment and thank you for recommending me this book. I didn't like it. I loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you enjoyed this book so much. I remember seeing that you had posted this review but I hadn't been able to read your review. :-( God, I sucked this past month at reading reviews! I'm so happy you enjoyed it as much as Julie and I did and I'm glad you're telling everyone else to read it as well! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deanna, Don't worry about not been as much in the blogs, you had some difficult days and is completely understandable.
    I loved this book a lot, I laugh a lot with it. Gave a copy to my sister and she loved it too.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...