Contact Me

Monday, June 6, 2011

Review: Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews


Title: Magic Slays
Author: Ilona Andrews
Series: Kate Daniels, book 5
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Penguin Group
Format: E-book
*Warning: This review contains spoilers from previous books of this series*
“Plagued by a war between magic and technology, Atlanta has never been so deadly. Good thing Kate Daniels is on the job.
Kate Daniels may have quit the Order of Merciful Aid, but she’s still knee-deep in paranormal problems. Or she would be if she could get someone to hire her. Starting her own business has been more challenging than she thought it would be—now that the Order is disparaging her good name, and many potential clients are afraid of getting on the bad side of the Beast Lord, who just happens to be Kate’s mate.
So when Atlanta’s premier Master of the Dead calls to ask for help with a vampire on the loose, Kate leaps at the chance of some paying work. Turns out this is not an isolated incident, and Kate needs to get to the bottom of it—fast, or the city and everyone dear to her might pay the ultimate price…”
Magic Slays is the fifth installment in the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews.

After events in Magic Bleeds Kate has resigned to her position with the Order of the Knights of Merciful Aid and has accepted Curran as his mate. Now, with the financial support of the Pack, she is starting her own business, called Cutting Edge Investigations. Things have been very slow thanks to the bad reputation the order and others had created for her, in the month she has been opened not one client has cross her threshold.
Kate is approached by members of the Red Guard; they want to hire her to find and rescue a kidnapped scientist and his invention. Kate knows there is more to the story but with her current situation she cannot be too choosy and accepts the job.
During her investigation Kate learns the invention she has been looking for is a powerful device that destroys magic, including beings who posses magic like shifters, witches, vampires (The People), mages...  She also discovers that a cult type group called Lighthouse Keepers is behind all this. Their only purpose is to eliminate magic from the world. This might be the biggest treat Kate has ever encounter because now she has a lot to lose, she has a family and friends. 
And if this was not enough, Kate as Curran’s Consort (Kate doesn’t like to be call mate) has to deal with Pack business and their schemes. 

Kate has come a long way since we met her in Magic Bites. She has grown and changed becoming a better person, but in essence Kate is still the same kick ass, snarky, witty heroine we adore (I think she is my favorite UF heroine). Now she has opened her heart to others and with that came more responsibilities for her.
I loved how she is a badass when she needs to be, despite feeling insecure deep inside her. She knows she can’t show any sign of weakness and does her best to keep the façade up for others even though inside she is breaking apart.
In this book Kate learns hard truths about her mother (Kalina) and her stepfather (Voron). My heart broke for Kate when she learns about these revelations.

Curran or as Kate calls him His Furriness is still the same Alpha male, overprotective, controlling and now more in love with Kate than ever. I love him so much, he is one of my favorite UF heroes, he even purrs so what is not to like about him.

When Kate and Curran became an item I got worried about the future of this series, I didn’t know how Ilona Andrews was going to do to keep this couple going and interesting now that they were together, but after reading the great job they did with Magic Slays my worries are a thing of the past. Now Kate and Curran are together but there relationship is never dull. They are learning to live together, they still fight, their banter is endless and their attraction is ever present as was during their courtship.
I loved how Curran is always there for her, how he knows her and understands her needs. They are perfect for each other. I loved and laugh at their endearments, Kate calls Curran sugar woogums and Curran calls Kate babycakes. LOL

We also see some of our favorite supporting characters but not all of them. The ones I loved the most were Andrea, she is another one that has come a long way. She has always been the perfect and best friend for Kate and I loved her for that. I was expecting to see Raphael but he doesn’t make an appearance in this installment, we just heard about him.
Another important character was Julie. She has become an important part in Kate’s life. One of my favorite scenes was when Julie is having a fight with a young shifter and Kate is secretly watching them. Kate was a very proud mama, that scene was hilariously cute. Something big happens with Julie in this book, I won’t tell you what because I don’t want to give too much away in a manner of spoilers. But I think this situation with Julie will be of great importance in the books to come, I think it might be even crucial in the fight with Roland.
I also loved Doolittle, I loved his conversations with Kate, he is always very calm and composed, additionally to this he is a very wise man and always gives Kate great advice.

The world in this series is top notch, is one of the most originals worlds I’ve seen in UF, and the world in this installment keeps the same quality as previous books, bringing even new things making it better and more interesting.

The duo of Ilona Andrews has done again. Magic Slays is an action packed, page-turner, impossible to put down book. The narrative is spotless, the plot interesting and enthralling. And the characters are so good is impossible to categorized them.
I didn’t read Magic Slays, I devoured it, and as always with this series it let me wanting for more.
Kate Daniels is one of my favorite (if not my favorite) UF series. If you haven’t read it you don’t know how much you are missing out. Magic Slays is not a stand-alone book; these books should be read in order. I don’t have enough words to recommend you this book and this series in general. Just let me tell you that these books are magnificent.

Favorite quotes:
  • “When you offered me this business, did you think I would stay in the office all day baking cookies?” – “Nobody ever died of being shot by a cookie.” – He had me there. I groped about my brain for a snappy comeback. “There is always a first time.” Oh, now that was a brilliant response. No doubt he’s collapse at my feet in awe at my intellectual magnificence. – “If anybody could manage to being shot by a cookie, it would be you.” Curran shrugged.
  • “You can’t tell me what to do.” – Curran roared. The blast noise erupting from his mouth was like thunder. I clenched up, fighting the urge to step back.  – “Yes, I can,” he snarled. “Listen: this is me telling you what you will not do.” – I raised a cookbook and tapped him on the noise. Bad cat.
  • “It’s hilarious. It’s almost as funny as your snoring.” – “I don’t snore.” – He nodded with a wide grin. “It’s a quiet peaceful kind of snoring. Like a small cuddly Tasmanian devil. Kind of cute when sleeping, all claws and teeth when awake.” 

My Verdict: 5 Paws

Other books in the series
Magic Bites
Magic Burns
Magic Strikes
Magic Bleeds
Magic Slays

Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. Yum yum yum. I seriously need to get cracking on book 4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blodeuedd, Yes, you should. These books get better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are perfect for each other! Really truly! And I totally agree with you and your thoughts on Kate's character growth. I love Kate. She may just be my most favorite female character ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, Yes, they are perfect for each other [His Furriness will be perfect for me too ;) ]
    I've always loved Kate, but after reading this book she is also my #1 UF character.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...