Contact Me

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Review: Feast by Merrie Destefano


Title: Feast (Harvest of Dreams)
Author: Merrie Destefano
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: HarperCollins
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“Madeline MacFadden ("Mad Mac" to fans of her bestselling magical stories) spent blissful childhood summers in Ticonderoga Falls. And this is where she wants to be now that her adult life is falling apart. The dense surrounding forest holds many memories, some joyous, some tantalizingly only half-remembered. And she's always believed there was something living in these wooded hills.
But Maddie doesn't remember the dark parts -- and knows nothing of the mountain legend that holds the area's terrified residents captive. She has no recollection of Ash, the strange and magnificent creature who once saved her life as a child, even though it is the destiny of his kind to prey upon humanity. And soon it will be the Harvest. . . the time to feast.
Once again Maddie's dreams -- and her soul -- are in grave danger. But magic runs deep during Harvest. Even a spinner of enchanted tales has wondrous powers of her own.”
I don’t know where to start with this review, I really wanted to like Feast but instead I felt disappointed and had serious problems reading it, I even considered a couple of times not finishing it. I pushed myself to continue reading it because I know how much work an author puts on her/his work and I really hate to DNF a book.

I was very excited when I first read the blurb about this book. I thought it will a very interesting and dark book and had great expectations for it, expectations it didn’t meet. This book is 300 pages long and it took me over 180 pages if not more to get a little bit into the story. This book is told in so many different points of view that it gets confusing. Every chapter is told from a different character point of view and the chapters are not longer than couple of pages. This writing style cuts the fluidity of the story making it even harder to get into it. In my opinion some of the characters points of view were completely unnecessary, I didn’t care about the sheriff or Joe, those pages could had been use to better develop the main characters and their relationship.

The characters felt two dimensional and were difficult to connect with. We get lots of information about them, but not the important and necessary to the story. This book is about Darklings, but not even once we are explained what a Darkling is, what they do or where they are coming from. We are told about The Hunt, The Feasting and The Harvesting, but we are never explained what those things really are or what encompasses during them. There is a character called the Legend Keeper, he/she is supposed to be important but his/her business is never explain, what was it his/her job? Not a clue.
Ash is Cursed, but why? What does the curse means and what are the implications? Sadly that is another no clue. Ash is bounded to Ticonderoga Falls. In the beginning of the story it feels Ash is been punished and that is why he has to stay in the town, as his penalty, but at the end he gives the town to his daughter Elspeth as her inheritance, like if it was a good thing to have. So I don’t understand, was the town a punishment or a blessing?

The whole story occurs in the span of 2 days. In the first day we met Maddie who is heartbroken because her cheating husband left her for her best friend, and in the course of two days without mayor interactions with Ash she falls deeply in love with him, so in love that she is willing to give her life for him, mmm, what can I say? No, I don’t believe it. Same with Ash, he is been pining for his dead wife for over hundred years and in two days everything changed, he can forget about her and be with Maddie. Sorry but I don’t believe their romance.

The idea Mrs. Destefano had for this story was a great one. This book could have been an amazing and original book but the way the idea was developed wasn’t the most successful one. So many questions were left unanswered that it was not funny. I might understand this if this book was part of a series, but it is supposed to be a stand alone book. And even though if it was a part of a series there were still so many questions unanswered and so many topics left completely open that the story didn’t wrap up neatly.
Feast was not for me, but maybe some fantasy or paranormal lovers might enjoy it.

My Verdict: 2 ½ Paws


Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I hate books that you can't connect with and even when you really want to you can't and then on top of that you have several moments when you just want to put the book down and not finish it. :-( I'm sorry this was so tough for you but I'm with you...only 2 days and you go from being heartbroken from you husband cheating on you to being head over heels, I'll die for you in love with someone...yeah I'm not buying it either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh noes! You are allowed to not enjoy a book sometimes. Kudos for finishing it. I don't think I would buy the whole idea either. And I really don't like too many questions left unanswered. Nice review though Marcela!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great honest review. Blurb sounds really interesting then to read your review it just sounds like too much trouble to read it especially if it took 180 pages to get into it! Nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deanna, Yes, the worst part is that the idea was really great and I could have been a great book. :(

    Juliei Thank you Julie, I really wanted to like it though...

    Ally, The writing style was not for me, maybe somebody else would enjoy it, sadly that wasn't me.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...