Contact Me

Monday, August 15, 2011

Review: Merciless by Diana Palmer


Title: Merciless
Author: Diana Palmer
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Mystery
Publisher: Harlequin
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“Tall dark and eligible? That’s all that matters to the women of Jacobsville when it comes to handsome and aloof FBI agent Jon Blackhawk. But if it were up to him, he would never settle down. Luckily, Jon has the best gatekeeper: his efficient and reliable assistant, Joceline Perry. Without her help, he’d be at the mercy of husband hunters – but the more he comes to rely on her, the more he notices how invaluable she really is…. While Joceline can’t deny that her boss is attractive, as a single mother with responsibilities she’s determined to be professional. But when Jon is accosted by a criminal seeking revenge, she comes to his aid – fueling the spark that is growing between them. As the attempts on Jon’s life increase, Joceline stands by his side. But when the smoke clears, will the man who avoided love realize that all he ever needed was right there all along?”  
The blurb describes pretty well what Merciless is about so let’s not add much to it. 

After hearing so many good things about Diana Palmer I was very exited to read this, my first book by her, sadly Merciless didn’t fulfill the big expectations I had for this author. 

First I didn’t see anywhere that this book was part of a series, but after I started to read it it was very apparent that there was a lot of back history, there was even an investigation of a criminal case still open that was coming from a previous book, so I was lost from the beginning.

I liked the main characters, especially Joceline. She is a smart woman with a fun and quick tongue. She is also a single mother of a sick child, a woman with a hard life and many difficulties for being a single mother. She has a tough job, with long hours but still she finds the time and strength for her kid. She is a hard worker and is trying to do her best to help her son overcome his illness, so what is not to like about her.
Jon is a workaholic who loves his job and is really good at what he does, that being an FBI Agent. He is also funny and intelligent. I liked how he avoids the women his mother throws at his feet. I also liked how he values and appreciated the job Joceline does for him.

There was a perceptible connection between them since the beginning of the book. Joceline has been Jon’s assistant for over 5 years so they know each other and are very comfortable in each other company. What I almost couldn’t believe is that Jon is supposed to be a caring boss but he didn’t know anything about Joceline’s son. He barely knows she has a boy and that’s it, never asks for him or nothing, if he was one of those asshole bosses I could understand that, but it doesn’t go with the way his character is personified. Not to give many spoilers away, Joceline is keeping a big secret from him and his reaction when he learns about it was completely unrealistic for me.

About the second characters, between good guys and bad guys there were so many that I lost count. The ones that shinned the most were Detective Sergeant Rick Marquez and the South African Roarke. Marquez was a very interesting character; there were many hints of secrets in his life, secrets I would like to know more about. 
Roarke and his pirate look did it for me, the way he cared for Joceline and her son was super cute, so much that sometimes I even thought it would have been better for Joceline to end up with him instead of Jon. If Mrs. Palmer gives Roarke a book I’m pretty sure I’ll read it. 
Jon’s brother McKuen Kilraven and his wife Winnie were also interesting characters, for what I could deduce they were the protagonists in the previous book of this series. One character I could not stomach was Jon’s mother, OMG with a mom like her I would have move to another country, she improved a little bit at the end but sadly her change didn’t felt real at all and her double standards were a little bit too much for my taste.

One of the problems I had with this book was that there were so many characters coming in and out of the picture that it was very confusing. I had to write down names and add a little description no to get more lost than I already was.

Another thing I really didn’t like and I could even say that I hated it, it was the way Joceline was discriminated for being a single mother, like if it was the biggest sin ever, people look down at her and treated her like garbage just because she had a son and wasn’t married. I really couldn’t believe people in these times could behave like that. I guess for many she would have been a better person in their eyes if she was an assassin instead of having a child out of wedlock. They talk all the time about God and religion and pretend to be all rightful and perfect when more than one had skeletons in the closet. Not good at all.

Another thing I didn’t like was how Jon’s is portrayed as a very conservative man of 31, so conservative that he was still a virgin at his age… ok, let me tell you something, I don’t freaking believe it, don’t tell me our hunk, handsome, smart, rich hero hasn’t got any in his not so young age, I might have believed it if he was in his early twenties but the guy is over 30! This twist in my eyes make the story seems laughable, making it lose veracity at the same time.

Merciless wasn’t a perfect book for me, it was just an ok read, but it may work for others. I don’t think it’ll be my last book by Mrs. Palmer, especially is there is a book about Roarke.

My Verdict: 3 Paws

Other reviews Goodreads



1 comment:

  1. I've never read this author before but I know she's got quite the following. Maybe this one isn't the best one to start with. Nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...