Contact Me

Friday, September 23, 2011

Friday's (Not-So) Short Review: Lord of Rage by Jill Monroe


Title: Lord of Rage
Author: Jill Monroe
Series: Royal House of Shadows, book 2
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Harlequin
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“Princess Breena had been dreaming of her warrior lover when she was ripped from her Elden castle and thrown into a strange, dangerous realm. Lost and alone, she prayed for survival and vengeance for her stolen kingdom. She found both in a woodland cottage…in a dark bear of a man.The golden-haired beauty had eaten his food and slept in his bed when Osborn found her. Though he wanted to awaken his virgin princess to carnal pleasures, Breena wanted more—including his warrior skills. Skills the once-legendary mercenary had long buried. Now Osborn had a choice—risk his life or deny his princess her fairy-tale ending.” 
Lord of Rage is book two in the Royal House of Shadows series, this installment is written by Jill Monroe.

Ten years ago Osborn and his father are away from home, it’s Osborn’s initiation as a warrior. They belong to a tribe of Berserks who are famous for their fighting skills. After Osborn’s successful initiation as a Berserk they return to the village to find chaos and death. Taking advantage that fathers and sons were away because of their sons initiations, vampires wearing the military uniform of the kingdom of Elden have attacked and killed everybody in the village including Osborn’s mom and sister. As fathers return with their sons they are also eliminated. The last survivor of the fight is Osborn who later finds his two little brothers, Bernt and Torben, alive and hiding in a cave. Since that day Osborn has taken them under his care and has swear to avenge his family from the Kingdom of Elden. Osborn has done all kind of things to survive and to provide to his brothers. Things he is not very proud of.

Princess Breena of Elden has magic as her mother, she can go into others dreams and for a while she has been dreaming about an unknown sexy warrior.
The palace is under attack. The king and queen know they are going to die, but just before that happened they used their last magic strength to send the princess and princes away for their protection.
Breena awakes in an unknown place and with not recollection of events; the only things in her mind are Survive and Avenge. She doesn’t know where those thoughts are coming from or what had happen to her. After wandering aimlessly for days she finally arrives to a cabin. Osborn and his brothers live in the cabin. Breena and Orborn recognize each other for their dreams. Breena is sure she has find Osborn because he is the key to solve her mystery but Osborn doesn’t trust easily and wants her to leave. After some time and talks he agrees to teach her how to fight but still he doesn’t know she is the princess of Elden.

I really like Breena, she is a very strong character and doesn’t take no for an answer. She knows her limitations but also her attributes. She is ok with Osborn not fighting her fights for her, and she does her best effort to become the warrior her people need.

Osborn is a very alpha male with a tortuous past and an unknown future. He took responsibility for his two little brothers when they were 4 and 5 and he was just a 15 years old boy. Since then his life has been about caring and protecting them as best as he has known. And the only thought in his head has been revenge his family.

I really like Breena and Osborn's relationship, theirs is also a Mine-At-First-Sight but what I loved the most was that they don’t jump their bones immediately; both fight their attraction, increasing the tension between them making it more interesting and fun. And at the same time making it more believable.

I really love Osborn brothers, they are very cute and behave like kids their age should. Life with Osborn hasn’t always been easy but they know he is doing his best for them.

My final thought: If you have read my review of Lord of the Vampires by Gena Showalter (book one of this series) you’d know that sadly that book wasn’t for me and I couldn’t finish it. I’m happy to inform you that Lord of Rage was different not only I finished but I liked it.
I didn’t know these books were going to have a children stories theme, but while reading Lord of Rage I could easily discerned it in the story and I can say I really like the take on Goldilocks and The Three Bears.  Lord of Rage was my first book by Jill Monroe and I’m sure it won’t be my last.

My Verdict: 3 ½ Paws

Other books in the series
Lord of the Vampires by Gena Showalter
Lord of Rage by Jill Monroe
Lord of the Wolfyn by Jessica Andersen (10/25/2011)
Lord of the Abyss by Nalini Singh (11/22/2011) 

Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. I liked this much better than Lord of the Vampires as well. I liked that the attraction between the H/h was prefaced by her dreams, so they "knew" each other before they really even met.

    This was also my first Jill Monroe, and like you, I'd be happy to read her again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I agree with you, there was some kind of a previous relationship even though it was in dreams. Have you read the next installment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...still not gonna read it, but you have made me feel a little bad for giving up so soon. Maybe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not reading your review since I'm reading this book as soo as I'm done with The Darkest Surrender. However, I'm VERY VERY VERY happy that you gave this one a shot and you enjoyed it a lot better then book one!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...