Contact Me

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Review: Archangel's Blade by Nalini Singh


Title: Archangel’s Blade
Author: Nalini Singh
Series: Guild Hunter, book 4
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Penguin Group
Format: E-book
“The severed head marked by a distinctive tattoo on its cheek should have been a Guild case, but dark instincts honed over hundreds of years of life compel the vampire Dmitri to take control. There is something twisted about this death, something that whispers of centuries long past...but Dmitri's need to discover the truth is nothing to the vicious strength of his response to the hunter assigned to decipher the tattoo. 
Savaged in a brutal attack that almost killed her, Honor is nowhere near ready to come face to face with the seductive vampire who is an archangel's right hand, and who wears his cruelty as boldly as his lethal sensuality...the same vampire who has been her secret obsession since the day she was old enough to understand the inexplicable, violent emotions he aroused in her. 
As desire turns into a dangerous compulsion that might destroy them both, it becomes clear the past will not stay buried. Something is hunting...and it will not stop until it brings a blood-soaked nightmare to life once more...”
Archangel’s Blade is book four in the Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh.

I usually write a small summary of the book but in this case the blurb will have to be sufficient because I don’t want to give too much away. Also I’m going to try to write this review as spoiler free as possible. Let’s see if I can.

When I learned Mrs. Singh was writing Dmitri’s book I was excited and to tell you the true a bit skeptical too. I couldn’t picture Dmitri as a hero in love and caring for anyone. Dmitri is a very dark character who punishes and enjoys the suffering of others, so how was Mrs. Singh going to makes us like him, how was she going to makes us change the image we have of him from Angel’s Blood (book one of the series)? But, she did it. She took us on a trip to his past in which we see his core and the events that transformed him, making him the “person” he is now days.
Saying Dmitri is a tortured soul is putting it mildly. He has live for thousand years in anger and resentment to others and towards himself for events that were completely out of his control. The way he lives his life is almost as a defense mechanism against his past and his memories. And seeing him letting “his walls” crumble because of a woman was a very nice experience.

Honor is also a survivor, she was the victim of a very traumatic experience involving vampires, one in which not many will survive with his/her mind intact, but Honor is a fighter and everyday is a milestone to her recovery. Spending time with Dmitri is not an easy task for her on the beginning. He is a vampire to start with, but also he has fascinated her since the moment she arrived to New York, years back, but now after the attack she associates vampires with her attack, so when she is with Dmitri the conflict of emotions is palpable.

Since their first meeting the tension between these two is off the charts. At the beginning Honor is just a prey for Dmitri but when he learns about her past he takes it as his duty to help her find her revenge from her assailants. With every moment they spend together they get closer and closer and start to open to each other about their lives and their past. I really like this approach to their HEA; honesty is the base for any good relationship but sadly after this highlight in the story is when I started to have a problem with a book that was perfect. There were some hints about Honor that I wasn’t sure where they were going but was suspecting it, and when the end came and my suspicions were confirmed I felt a very big disappointment and cheated. I thought the ending didn’t make justice to the romance. It’s also an ending in which the HEA is very subjective therefore not real (in my opinion). I want to tell you more but if I do I will spoiled the book for you. And that is the last thing I want to do. Also my reaction to the end was a very personal one and it may not be the same reaction you would have. 

We see some glimpses of Elena and Raphael, they seem to be doing great and I’m happy for that. We also see more of Illium, Jason, Venom and Holly, now called Sorrow. I don’t know if it was me and my wild imagination but I felt there was something between Venom and Sorrow, we’ll see… Illium worries me a bit, he is still too attached to Elena and I have a feeling that is not going to end up well. I hope I’m wrong because Bluebell is one of my favorite characters and I want him to be safe and happy.

Janvier from Angel’s Pawn (0.5 prequel of the series) is mention couple of times I think we will see more of him and Ashwini in the future. It was also said that Aodhan is moving to New York, he is one angel I would love to know better and I can’t wait to see what Mrs. Singh has in store for him.

In general I loved Archangel’s Blade, as always Mrs. Singh writing is spotless, sexy and fluid. If it weren’t because of my disappointment with the end this would have been a 5 Paws book. Anyway Archangel’s Blade is a great book, a book I recommend you to read. It could be read as a stand-alone but I recommend you to read previous books first to have a better image and understanding of the characters. 

Favorite quote

“Honor?”
“Yes.”
“I’m going to do things to you now that a good girl definitely shouldn’t let a man do to her.”

My Verdict: 4 Paws


Other books in the series
Angel’s Pawn (Prequel)
Angel’s Blood
Archangel’s Kiss
Archangel’s Consort
Archangel’s Blade


6 comments:

  1. You know one day I am gonna try a guild book, I must! Totally must

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great honest review! Loved what you said and have to agree with it all :)
    I'm falling more and more for this series the more I'm reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blodeuedd, I agree, you totally must!

    Ally, Thank you. I love this series too and I can't wait to see what is coming next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Sniff, sniff* So many good books and series, so little time. This series is on my TBR list and I really hope to get to it some...day?!?! :-P Good review and I'm glad you're still enjoying the series Marcela.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally felt something between Venom and Sorrow! Maybe it is our imagination, but I like that. And I like the idea of them. Loved your review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I jus posted my review of this audiobook, I loved, loved the book, but like you I was disappointed with the ending, still think is the best written book so far.
    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...