Contact Me

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Review: Where Demons Fear to Tread by Stephanie Chong


Title: Where Demons Fear to Tread
Author: Stephanie Chong
Series: The Company of Angels, book 1
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: MIRA
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“Fledging guardian angel and yoga teacher Serena St. Clair dares enter Devil's Paradise nightclub on a mission—to retrieve the wayward Hollywood "It Boy" she's assigned to protect. But she's ambushed by the club's owner, arch demon Julian Ascher. The most powerful demonic entity in Los Angeles, Julian is handsome as sin, a master of temptation who loves nothing more than corrupting pleasure–seeking humans. He won't release the lost soul Serena is supposed to guard. Unless she accepts his dangerous wager…After the disastrous way his human life ended, Julian vowed that no woman would get the better of him again. Yet this sexy–sweet angel, smelling of fresh ocean air and happiness, triggers centuries–old feelings. Now, their high–stakes game of seduction, where angels fall from grace and where demons fear to tread, will lead them either to an eternity in hell.or a deliciously hot heaven.”
Where Demons Fear to Tread is book one and the debut novel of The Company of Angels series by Stephanie Chong.

Serena St. Clair has been a guardian angel for almost a year; her latest protégé is Nick Ramirez, a prominent raising Hollywood star who loves to party hard and too often.
Serena is trying to stop Nick’s debauchery, for that reason she follows him to the Devil’s Paradise nightclub where Nick has been partied a lot lately. But Serena didn’t know she was getting into a demon’s den. Devil’s Paradise is one of the clubs own by the L.A. Arch-demon Julian Ascher.
Julian is one of the most powerful Arch-demons, one who is famous for corrupting young souls, especially those of innocent women.
As soon as Julian notices Serena in his club he knows he wants to have her, she too pure and innocent to let her pass. After meeting her he realizes she is a fledgling angel, an angel he wants to make fall and hard. As any good demon he uses all kind of deceptions and traps to manipulate her and get her to accept to spend a week with him in Las Vegas, also known as Sin City.
Serena is attracted to a demon, she knows she shouldn’t be but Julian is just too sexy not too feel anything. Now Serena has made a deal with him and has accepted to spend a week in Sin City with Julian in exchange for the protection of somebody precious to her. A week in which many things could happen…

When I saw the beautiful cover of Where Demons Fear to Tread I knew I have to read it. Who can resist that cover?
Lately we are seeing an increased in the Angels/Demons’ books. I guess angels and demons are the new werewolves and vampires. 

I had some problems with Serena and this made me enjoy Where Demons Fear to Tread a little bit less than if I would have liked her better, as you may know it is very difficult to connect with a story when you don’t connect with one of the main characters.
My problem with Serena was that she was too innocent, too selfless, too self-sacrificing, too pure, too beautiful… in summary she was too good to be true. Also I prefer strong heroines and this was not the case with Serena, completely the opposite.

Julian was different and I liked him a lot better than Serena. He is a demon and behaves like one. He is a wicked, sexy alpha who wants to make women paid for what one did to him years ago.

For me their relationship had its up and downs, I blame this in my difficulty to relate with Serena. Also she is supposed to be innocent and pure but almost immediately after meeting Julian she is thinking about going down and dirty with him; this is contradictory with how her character is depicted. Despite this there are very nice and sexy moments between these two. At the end Serena found her strength and her actions got a bit better.

The secondary characters are very interesting, especially Lucianna, she is twisted and evil, a villain in all the sense of the word. She brought the drama and the danger to the story. I would love to know more about her and hope to see her in future books.
Nick was an immature, spoiled rich kid who just wanted to be love. Sadly when our main characters were getting what they wanted poor Nick got forgotten in the middle of the drama and got the worst of a bargain. The end about Nick “future” is left open and I’m sure he will be an important part in the books to come.

Even though I had some issues with Serena I can say I enjoyed reading Where Demons Fear to Tread. Mrs. Chong writing is spotless, solid and fluid, with an interesting world building. Where Demons Fear to Tread is a story in which love conquers all. The only complaint I have about the story is that sometimes it was a bit too religious (for me), this may have been a problem for me but it may not be a problem for others.
All in all Where Demons Fear to Tread is a nice debut novel. If you are into angels and demons or good against evil this is a book you may enjoy.

My Verdict: 3 Paws


Other reviews Goodreads


8 comments:

  1. Our thoughts on this book are so alike, it's scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I just went to your blog to read your review and you are right, freaky!
    For what I've seen in our reviews we like the same kind of books and like the same kind of characters and stories. I'm pretty sure any book you'd like I'd like too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great honest review Marcela! This book sounds so interesting but I'm still on the fence about Angel's being the hero and heroines in books whether they're YA or romance or anything really :/ yet I do love Nalini Singh's angels and Gena Showalters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. when we have some problems with a character, I think it's always difficult. I have this one on my TBR, I'm curious to know if I will think the same things. Thanks for your review !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ally, I love Nalini's and Gena's book too. The different is that their angels are not written in any religious context. When religion is included things tend to change.

    Melliane, Let me know what you think after reading it. I'd love to learn your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same problems with this book! I didn't connect with Serena at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read quite a few reviews for this book and most are pretty much like yours. I think I'm going to wait to see what people think of the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen this book floating around blog land as well. I'm so behind in trying to catch up with everyone it's so hard for me to read new releases as they come out unless they're in a series I'm already reading. Hmmm...this one still sounds interesting even though so many people had the same thoughts and it's making me very apprehensive...I'll just wait till book two is released and see what people think then. :-P Great review and I'm glad you enjoyed the world and writers style!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...