Contact Me

Monday, October 17, 2011

ARC Review: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa


Title: The Iron Knight
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Iron Fey, book 4
Genre: YA Fiction, Fantasy
Publisher: Harlequin Teen (October 25th, 2011)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
*Warning: This review contains spoilers from previous books of this series*
“-Ash, former prince of the Winter Court, gave up everything. His title, his home, even his vow of loyalty. All for a girl… and all for nothing. 
Unless he can earn a soul.-

To cold, emotionless faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought. 
Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl— smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive. 
With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side. 
To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale. 
And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.”
The Iron knight is fourth and last book in the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa.

The Blurb of the book describes pretty well what this book is about, I’ll add more details in the review but I won’t add a summary, not just because of the book’s blurb, but because The Iron Knight is a book you need to discover and experience by yourself.
The Iron knight is NOT a stand-alone and should be read in order as a part of the series. If you haven’t read previous books I recommend you to stop reading this review right now.

If you know my love for this series you have to know I’m Team Ash all the way, and to say I was very excited to read this book is an understatement. But despite my eagerness I had a little trouble getting into the story. I don’t blame it on the book I blame it on me; I guess it was because this book was told by Ash’s point of view therefore had a different feeling compared to previous books of the series. After couple of pages I got used to this new feeling and without realizing it I was completely immerse in the magnificent world Mrs. Kagawa has created.

After much investigating Ash learns that the only place where he can find a soul is at the End of the World. The journey to get there is not through an easy road, it’s a journey of many dangers where he will have not just to fight others but he will also have to battle within himself. Additionally it’s not a one-man’s journey. Ash will need all the help possible from his friends; it’s good he has Puck, Grimalkin and other two unexpected characters from his past helping him along the way.

During Ash’s Quest his emotions, dreams, and fears are laid bare before our eyes. We learned all kind of details about his past, things we didn’t know and wanted to know are not secrets anymore, making Ash a stranger no longer.
His journey is a heart-wrenching one, one that will have you laughing, crying and wishing will all your being for a positive resolution even though you don’t see how it could be possible, but here is where Mrs. Kagawa’s magic come through and makes everything not just possible but realistic and believable.

As always Puck is there for Ash, their relationship though difficult is one of those that transcend frontiers. Puck also brings the humor to story, when the situation was most dire he knew how to break the tension, even though sometimes I wanted to scream at him and tell him to stop joking, I also knew that that was him and he was doing it to make the journey if not an easy one at least one a little bit more enjoyable.

Grimalkin is Grimalkin, he doesn’t change or evolved, but he is one of those characters who doesn’t need to change. He is perfect the way he is. I guess by now you have noticed I love him. I loved how he tried to pretend not to care but his actions were obviously those of somebody to cares, and a lot.

There were two other characters with Ash in this journey. From the first one to arrive to the group what was unexpected for me was to learn who was the person that has sent him/her to help Ash. That was a surprise I liked a lot, it almost made me tear-up a bit (I blame it on my crazy hormones).
The second character that joints them in their journey was a character that my first reaction was “No this can't be possible”, but it is. Even though I didn’t want to like this character and was doubting his/her real intentions all the time, at the end I couldn’t help it but feel bad for him/her and the difficult life and decisions this person has to take. I won’t say anything else because this is one of those super twists in the story that you have to discover for yourself.

Meghan is not present much in this book as this is Ash’s story and his journey, but Mrs. Kagawa works her magic again and gives us some glimpses of Meghan and her new life as the Iron Queen.

The Iron Knight is a book that after you get into it you won’t be able to put it down until you reach its last page. It’s not just a roller coaster of emotions with an impressive development of characters, but a non-stop adventure page-turner that will have you submerge in the amazing world Mrs. Kagawa’s unlimited imagination and creativity has created. In The Iron Knight you will follow the River of Dreams to the Deep Wyld and the Briars, passing through the strange and creepy town of Phaed where the Fey go to die when they are forgotten. From there you will continue down the River of Nightmares to the End of the World to finally arrive to the Testing Grounds where our hearts will break for Ash and where we will learn the requirements to own a soul. And from there… wherever you heart takes you.

I’m sad to see this series come to an end but at the same time I’m glad it finished in a high note and with such a perfect book as The Iron Knight.
As I said before this is one of my favorite YA series and one that I cannot recommend you enough to read. Even if you think you don’t like YA give this one a chance, I guarantee you won’t be disappointed. Don’t forget these books should be read in order and they are not stand-alones.
I’m looking forward to spin-off series about Megan’s brother Ethan.

My Verdict: 4 ½ Paws

Other books in the series
The Iron King
Winter Passage (Novella)
The Iron Daughter

Other reviews Goodreads

5 comments:

  1. Skimming, just checking if it the book is good...it is :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking about listening to this series next, I've been seeing it a lot, I didn't read the review, since I have not read the first one yet, I'm going to check your blog for your review of the first book, but I did see the rating for this one,so I'm sure it's a good book.
    I'm so glad you like Anna and the French Kiss,it was such a cute book..aww!
    BTW way I really liked Unclaimed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blodeuedd, LOL the book was great, a great addition and a perfect ending to a great series.

    Lupdilup, I didn't review the first book but I can tell you it was good. This series in general are great, I'll give a 4 1/2 score to the whole series. You should give it a try.
    I'm glad you liked Unclaimed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the warning that Meghan isn't around that much in this one. I still have read the one before this one~I need to catch up fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ash's journey leads to the perfect ending for characters whose lives have just begun. I look forward to any and all of Kagawa's books. Her writing style and characters flow so well and are so easy for me to love. I have added all of her future books to my "to be read" pile and anxiously await every one of them.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...