Contact Me

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Review: Spider's Revenge by Jennifer Estep


Title: Spider’s Revenge
Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Elemental Assassin, book 5
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Pocket
Format: E-book
“Old habits die hard. And I plan on mur­der­ing some­one before the night is through. 
Killing used to be my reg­u­lar gig, after all. Gin Blanco, aka the Spi­der, assassin-for-hire. And I was very good at it. Now, I’m ready to make the one hit that truly mat­ters: Mab Mon­roe, the dan­ger­ous Fire ele­men­tal who mur­dered my fam­ily when I was thir­teen. 
Oh, I don’t think the mis­sion will be easy, but turns out it’s a bit more prob­lem­atic than expected. The bitch knows I’m com­ing for her. So now I’m up against the army of lethal bounty hunters she hired to track me down. She also put a price on my baby sister’s head. Keep­ing Bria safe is my first pri­or­ity. Tak­ing Mab out is a close sec­ond. 
Good thing I’ve got my pow­er­ful Stone and Ice magic — and my irre­sistible lover Owen Grayson — to watch my back. This bat­tle has been years in the mak­ing, and there’s a chance I won’t sur­vive. But if I’m going down, then Mab’s com­ing with me...no mat­ter what I have to do to make that happen."
Spider’s Revenge is the fifth installment in the Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep.

The blurb of the book is very explicit and summarizes pretty well what Spider’s Revenge is about, adding more to it will be spoilerish and I don’t want that.

Let’s start by saying this book is not a stand-alone book and this series should be read in order.

Gin is ready to her final showdown with Mab Monroe, the woman who killed her family and tortured her many years ago. She has come a long way to be ready for this moment but Gin rushes things and misses a big opportunity to get rid of Mab, now she is having second thoughts and she’s not sure she’s “good enough” to kill Mab. The problem Gin has is that she is used to do everything alone and in this case if she wants to succeed she will have to trust and accept the help of her friends. 

I fell in love with Gin since the moment I met her in Spider’s Bite (first book). Yes, she is an assassin but she has a heart and in Spider’s Revenge we see it more clearly than ever. Gin has grown through the pages and everyday she is becoming a better person, her love for her friends and family doesn’t have limits and she is willing to do anything to protect them. And she proves us that and more in this book.

The characters are what made of Elemental Assassin series one of my favorite Urban Fantasy series. All of them from the good guys to the villains have become a favorite of mine.

In this installment we see all our favorite characters from previous books, some have bigger parts than others but at the end it doesn’t matter if they have hundred pages or two lines, they all have a very important part in the story.

As always Finn has a big part, not just as a support for Gin and her endeavors but also as a love interest for Gin’s sister Bria. Finn is the same women-lover but tamed thanks to his attraction to Bria. Finn also brings the humor to the story even though he did something in this book I wanted to kill him for, something that fell completely out of character for him and something I’m still trying to grasp my mind around. Still I love him and I’m trying to forgive him for what he did.

Once I pulled the mask down over my face, I turned to stare at Finn.
“You ready to do this?”
“Just like Bonnie and Clyde.” He grinned, his teeth a gleaming white against the black fabric. “Although let’s try not to get shot to pieces tonight, okay? This coat is imported leather.”

Bria is also a big part in the story, she has been trying to accept that Gin, her only sister is an assassin, it haven’t been easy but in Spider’s Revenge circumstances have got them closer to each other. There was a very emotional scene between them, I won’t give it away but you’ll know what I’m talking about when you read it. 

I have always loved Owen but after Spider’s Revenge I adore him. Mrs. Estep couldn’t have written a better man than him for Gin. He is caring, loving and the best part he accepts Gin without reservations. He knows what and who she is and he doesn’t care, he loves her and understands her no matter what. Their relationship is also evolving, becoming more, and that made me very happy. They are just perfect for each other. *swoon*

Jo-jo and Sophia as always are a big part of the story. In this book we learned about how and when they met Fletcher and the story about Sophia’s past. And let me tell you is a gut-wrenching story.  *cries*

I loved to see that Roslyn and Xavier are still together and stronger than ever, and also loved the devotion they have for each other. 

I cannot leave behind the evil bitch Mab Monroe. She is a really great villain, she is powerful, bad, dangerous and unscrupulous. Mab is one of those characters that you would like to kill her yourself or at least you would have loved to help Gin.

Spider’s Revenge was a roller coaster of adventures, it started at a very high point but one third into the book went down and stalled for a while, after that it got momentum again and from then on it was an non-stop action-filled-page-turner.

Overall Spider’s Revenge is a great addition to a great series and a really fantastic conclusion to a story arc. As always Mrs. Estep does a great job in this installment with its action and tension packed pages and the perfect sequenced fighting scenes that will have you on the edge of your seat. But the best part is the importance of love and the acceptance real love brings; not just the love between a couple but the love of a family, it doesn’t have to be blood related family but the family that circumstances in life has chosen for you.

The next installment in this series By A Thread will be release on February 2012. I can’t wait to see what Mrs. Estep has in store for us with this new story.

My Verdict: 4 Paws

Other books in the series
Spider’s Bite
Web of Lies
Venom
Tangled Threads
Spider’s Revenge
By a Thread

Other reviews Goodreads


5 comments:

  1. Oh no! another series that sounds fantastic, a this rate I'll never get to Acheron, I'm sold! guess I'll add it to my TBL list, I think I'll read the first then listen to the rest before it gets to deep into the series.
    Great review as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic review! Gin is such a great heroine and the characters really make this series shine.

    (And I agree about that lapse in judgement you mentioned. It felt out of character for me as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lupdilup, You "must" read (listen) this series. These books are great. Acheron is also a great book though, I know... so many books, so little time.

    Jen, Thank you :)
    I wanted to kill Finn, I just couldn't believe he was that stupid. *headdesk*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd so like to give this series another go, but when book 1 was just ok and there are other ones I want to try, well you get teh point

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just read the first one but this series sounds so great ! I'm glad you like this one, I really need to buy the second. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...