Contact Me

Friday, January 6, 2012

Friday's Short Review: Blood Rights by Kristen Painter


Title: Blood Rights
Author: Kristen Painter
Series: House of Comarré, book 1
Genre: Urban Fantasy
PublisherHachette Book Group
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book

“Born into a life of secrets and service, Chrysabelle's body bears the telltale marks of a comarré -- a special race of humans bred to feed vampire nobility. When her patron is murdered, she becomes the prime suspect, which sends her running into the mortal world...and into the arms of Malkolm, an outcast vampire cursed to kill every being from whom he drinks.

Now, Chrysabelle and Malkolm must work together to stop a plot to merge the mortal and supernatural worlds. If they fail, a chaos unlike anything anyone has ever seen will threaten to reign.”
Blood Rights is the first book in the House of Comarré series by Kristen Painter.

There was a lot of talk on Twitter and in different blogs about this book and this series in general and some of my friends recommended it. When I saw it available in NetGalley I knew I have to read it. 

I have to be honest, it took me some time to get into the story, the first chapters are packed with information but don’t go anywhere, but after chapter six or so the story picks up the pace, halfway in it becomes a book difficult to put down. 

There are so many stories about vampires, but even though this is a book with vampires the premises and the characters are somehow refreshing. The complex world Mrs. Painter created in Blood Rights is different and interesting making of this read a more entertaining one. 

I really liked Chrysabelle; on the beginning she fells like a damsel in distress but boy was I wrong. Her as other Comarrés are hiding a big secret, they are not the docile and fragile persons they pretend to be, they are a race of warriors waiting for the moment when their services to humanity are needed and soon they are going to be needed. 

Malkolm is the epitome of a torture hero, he not only has a dark and sad past but is the carrier of a deadly curse, a curse that makes him lose control of himself to a point he becomes a killer monster.

The chemistry between them is palpable, but they are fighting it all the time. Chrysabelle doesn’t want to feel what she’s feeling for Malkolm and Malkolm doesn’t want to take the risk to get to close to her because of his curse, also he does’t feel worthy of a Comarré. But circumstances got them together and now they need to work close to each other. Despite all the buildup of the attraction between them nothing happened. There were many scenes in which I was sure something was going to happen but sadly it was just more buildup of their attraction. 

This book is told from many points of view, not just our many characters but others as well. And here is where I have a complaint. I think it was unnecessary to show/tell us the villain’s point of view. Actually I thought it would have been a lot better if it hadn’t been included. I got to a point that I skimmed over the parts with the villain’s POV.

My final thought: Blood Rights was a entertaining read, with complex and likable characters, a plot with some twist and turns along the way and written in a nice and easy style. Blood Rights also has an elaborate world building and a beautiful cover. Although I had some problems with its pace and the different POVs I can honestly say I liked Blood Rights and I’m looking forward to read the following books of this series Fresh and Blood and Bad Blood

My Verdict: 3 ½ Paws

Other books in the series
Blood Rights 
Fresh and Blood
Bad Blood

Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. I am sure I will give it a go one day, I just can't say when that day will come

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven this book in my TBR pile since its release but didn't read it yet. I confess I'm afraid now that the different point on views would disappoint me too. But I think I'll know when I'll read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this and will read it soon. Actually, our non-UF loving friend sent it to me telling me I had to read it. I'll take her word for it. And yours too even though you didn't like it as much as her, you finished it. Good enough for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one sitting on my self as well. I am happy that while it wasn't completely a book you LOVED that you are looking forward to continuing on with the series and that makes me less apprehensive about checking it out before AAD. :-D

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...