Contact Me

Monday, March 26, 2012

Early Review: A Perfect Storm by Lori Foster


Title: A Perfect Storm
Author: Lori Foster
Series: Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, book 4
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Romantic Suspence
Publisher: Harlequin
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“He never saw her coming…  
Spencer Lark already knows too many secrets about Arizona Storm, including the nightmare she survived and her resulting trust issues. But in order to expose a smuggling ring—and continue avenging his own tragic past—the bounty hunter reluctantly agrees to make Arizona a decoy. Yet nothing has equipped him for her hypnotic blend of fragility and bravery, or for the protective instincts she stirs in him.  
Arizona wants to reclaim her life, which means acting as bait to lure the enemy into a trap. Sure it's dangerous, especially with a partner as distractingly appealing as Spencer. But as their plan—and their chemistry—shifts into high gear, Arizona may discover there's an even greater risk in surrendering her heart to a hero…” 
A Perfect Storm is the fourth book in the Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor series by Lori Foster.

Arizona Storm is a young woman with a very difficult past. She was sold to human traffickers when she was just seventeen and even though she was able to escape months after, the ordeal she had to live was something that would have broken anyone. But instead of breaking, Arizona didn’t gave up and found in helping others a way to help herself.
Spencer Lark knows Arizona’s past, he admires what she has overcome but at the same time he knows that deep inside she carries the scars left behind by her past. Scars that doesn’t let her get close to people, even less trust or love anyone. Spencer wants to help her heal, she is young and deserves to be happy, loved and cherished. The only problem is that despite their age difference (Arizona 21, Spencer 32) Spencer can’t help himself but feel attracted to her. He doesn’t want to hurt her, he just wants to show her that there is more in life that just be an avenger. At the same time he doesn’t want her to get too attached to him. He can’t have a serious relationship with anyone because he hasn’t been able to forget his dead wife.
When Arizona comes to Spencer for help to bring down a ring of human traffickers he knows he has to help her because knowing Arizona she will do it with or without his help. The only problem is that now they will have to spend more time together and fighting their attraction while being that close won’t be an easy task.
The question is should they fight their attraction? Or should they leave their pasts behind and find peace and solace in each other arms?

I have always wanted to read Lori Foster but for some reason had never done it. When I saw this book in Netgalley I knew this was it, the now or never. What I didn’t know was that this book belonged to a series. I realized it before reading it, I considered reading previous books first, but there were three books and I didn’t have the time. After asking around I was told it could be read as a stand-alone, so that’s what I did. Now that I finished it I can say, yes, this book could be read as a stand-alone but there is lots of background story about Arizona, Spencer and the rest of the “gang” that I think it would have been better to read previous books first. Don’t take me wrong, I wasn’t lost or anything like that, but there were many references to past events that I would have love to know more. I’m sure if I had read this book as part of the series my enjoyment would have been higher even though I really liked this book.

I loved how Mrs. Foster took a very difficult topic as human trafficking and gave it life in the pages. She doesn’t write specifics but just enough to know what had happened making your heart break in many pieces.

In A Perfect Storm she gives us with Arizona and Spencer a broken heroine and a broken hero that find in each other the peace they didn’t know were looking for.

 I loved how Arizona is a mix of strength and fragility; she is also socially awkward and doesn’t know how to relate to others. All this made her more real, endearing and believable to me.

Spencer is a dreamy hero. I loved how caring and protective he was; one of the things I liked the most about him was his resistance on the beginning to get involved with Arizona, when he had not yet realized that because of Arizona’s experiences she was more mature than her years. I really admired him because of that; he didn’t want to take advantage of her even though he could have done it many times.

The secondary characters (Jackson and Alani, Trace and Priss, Dare and Molly) were all great, I really want to go back and read their stories. But one character that I stole my heart was Chris, I loved how he was the only one that was able to see Arizona for what she was and what she really needed before anybody else did and his words of advice were wise beyond his years. I really want to know more about him and hopefully Mrs. Foster gives him a nice and deserving HEA.

All in all A Perfect Storm was a very enjoyable read, with great characters, a complex word and a fast moving plot that will have you glued to its pages. As I said before I’m planning to go back and read previous book of this series. I can also tell you that all the hype about Lori Foster writing is truth, her writing style is spotless, fluid and engaging. She is an author you cannot miss.

My Verdict: 4 Paws


Other books in the series
When You Dare
Trace of Fever
Savor the Danger
A Perfect Storm (3/27/2012)

Other reviews Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. I've been curious about this series too.
    It sounds real good.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. <I must say that the series name is quite a mouthful, still, yes I would like a bit more rom sup n my reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that I've read the first 3 books in the series and I can't wait for this one to be at the store. The men are so strong and tough but they are pussy cats where their women are concerned. I agree with you on Chris. He may be gay but he is just as tough a he-man as the other three are. Especially where protecting the women comes up. Don't get in that man's way cause he will whup your butt and more. But he does have a softer gental side, too. And such a smart alec. You had to love him. Maybe some day, Chris can have his book?

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...