Contact Me

Friday, March 2, 2012

Review: Time Out by Jill Shalvis


TitleTime Out
Author: Jill Shalvis
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Harlequin
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book

“Sign up for recreational adult programs now!

Class: How to Drive Him Crazy

Instructional program for women unexpectedly facing the totally dishy guy from their past. Everyone Welcome!

NHL coach Mark Diego’s plan to spend his off-season volunteering in his hometown goes awry when he learns that not only is he coaching teenage girls, but that the program is coordinated by energetic (and five feet two inches of trouble) coordinator Rainey Saunders, his childhood friend–and the woman he could never stand to see dating any other guy…

When their tempers flare, Mark and Rainey discover their fireworks don’t just burn angry–they burn very, very, hot! But that’ll just sweeten the victory. Because Mark always plays to win. And with Rainey, he’s planning on playing very dirty too…”
It’s not a secret I love Jill Shalvis' books; when I saw this book in NetGalley I knew I have to read it. Time Out was a fun and sexy read, but one that let me with a feeling that something was missing. 
If you know me you know I love Alpha heroes and Mark is the epitome of one, even though I loved his alpha personality sadly sometimes his treatment of Rainey felt a little bit high-handed, so much that I wanted to hit him on the head more than once. He thought he could come in her life and pushed his way in without care of her feelings, he cancelled her dates and made decisions for her that he shouldn't have made. Ok, no everything is bad about him, he is also caring, sensitive and all around he has a good heart. I really liked that despite now being famous and rich he hasn’t forgotten his humble origins.

I also liked Rainey, she is sweet, funny, smart and very caring and protective of her friends and the kids at the recreation center. 
The chemistry between Mark and Rainey is there since the beginning. Rainey was sure of what she felt for Mark, she has been half in love with him all her life and every man she has dated she has unconsciously compared him to Mark and of course they all fell short because non of them were Mark. So now that he’s back regardless of her feelings she tried to act thinking with her head but her treacherous hormones betrayed her more than once. And in Mark’s case he is very attracted to Rainey but he is just thinking about living the moment, he lives a very crazy life, moving city to city from hotel to hotel. He thinks not woman would put up with his lifestyle, and here is where I had a problem with the story, this was Mark’s biggest concern and it was a topic they never talked about; they go back and forth countless times without talking about their real concerns or what was real important for their relationship to work out, this let me feeling unsure about their future together. 

Time Out is perfect for a beach read or one of those days when you want something fun and easy to read. As with all of Mrs. Shalvis' books the writing is spotless. If you are looking for a fun, sexy quick read with a very alpha hero Time Out is a book I’m sure you would enjoy.

My Verdict: 3 Paws


Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. I am in the middle of reading this book and I'm not really liking Mark! I'm like you I usually love her books but so far I'm having a few issues with this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Mark was too overbearing for my taste and I love alpha heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love easy, it takes no time at all, and my brain relaxes ;D Sometimes that is a must

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's too bad that Mark is getting on people's nerves a bit. But I like the idea that this is a quick read and if the writing is spotless... I'll think on it. :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...