Contact Me

Friday, March 30, 2012

Review: The Unseen by Heather Graham


Title: The Unseen
Author: Heather Graham
GenreParanormal Romantic 
Suspense, Mystery
Publisher: MIRA
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“1800s. San Antonio, Texas: In room 207 at the Longhorn Saloon, in the long shadow of the Alamo itself, a woman renowned for her beauty was brutally murdered. Her killer was never found. One year ago: In that same historic room, another woman vanished without a trace. Her blood was everywhere…but her body was never recovered. Now: In the last month, San Antonio has become a dumping ground for battered bodies. All young women, all long missing, almost all forgotten. Until now.

Texas Ranger Logan Raintree cannot sit by and let his city’s most vulnerable citizens be slain. So when he is approached to lead a brand-new group of elite paranormal investigators working the case, he has no choice but to accept the challenge. And with it, his powerful ability to commune with the dead.
Among Logan’s new team is Kelsey O’Brien, a U.S. marshal known for her razor-sharp intuition and a toughness that belies her delicate exterior. Kelsey has been waiting all her life to work with someone who can understand her ability to “see” the past unfolding in the present. Now she has her chance.
Together, Kelsey and Logan follow their instincts to the Alamo and to the newly reopened Longhorn, which once tempted heroes with drink, cards and women.
If the spirits of those long-dead Texans are really appearing to the victims before their deaths, only Kelsey and Logan have the skills to find out why. And if something more earthly is menacing the city’s oldest, darkest corners, only they can stop it – before more innocent women join the company of San Antonio’s restless ghosts...”
The Unseen is the latest book by Heather Graham. I can say this book belongs in some part to the Krewe of Hunters series or at least it runs parallel to that series.

Jackson Crow, the leader of the original Krewe of Hunters is in Texas organizing a second crew, since his original group is already too busy working many cases and they are not enough for all the demand of work they have. They need more people and here is where Texas Rager Logan Raintree and U.S. Marshall Kelsey O’Brien come. Raintree will be the director of this new group and will work with Kelsey and other members that will come along the way.

After that blurb I think adding more than this will be telling the whole book.

There were things I liked about this book and others I wasn’t so sure. Let’s start with what I liked.
I really liked the historical facts and the description of the locations. I have never been in Texas let alone in The Alamo, but after reading this book I feel somehow as if I’ve been there and seen it. I did know about the Alamo, but not with much detail, what I didn’t know about it I learned with this book; I loved history so that was good, maybe if you already know the history of The Alamo all the historical mentions can be too much for you, but for me it was just perfect. Another thing I also liked was the Native American references, especially when the difference between Comanche and Apache beliefs were explained. I’m an admirer of Native American culture, so for me this was a special treat.
Another thing I liked was that the whodunit wasn’t predictable. I had my suspicions but I wasn’t a hundred percent on it. I liked that very much, I liked when an author surprise me a leaves me with an “I didn’t see that one coming”.

Now to what I didn’t like, first, the case in itself felt put together by force. I didn’t feel there was any connection between the murders to think that they were all related. Ok, I don’t know anything about police procedure but that was just my impression. In my opinion the case in general felt a bit farfetched.
Another thing I had a problem with was Logan and Kelsey’s relationship, for sure there was an attraction between them, but I really didn’t feel a deep connection. It felt more as if they were having a fling than really getting into a serious and long lasting relationship.

Despite the things I didn’t liked I can honestly say I enjoyed reading The Unseen. As I said before I loved the historical aspects of the story and I loved the ghost’s factor and the mystery behind the murders. I really want to know more about the other members of this new Krewe of Hunters and I’m planning to read future books in this series.
I recommend you this book if you like mystery books with a paranormal touch and lots of history behind them.

My verdict: 3 ½ Paws


Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. This book sounds really interesting. I've been reading a lot of Paranormal type books lately and the blurb on this one really peeked my interest. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you like it if you read it.

      Delete
  2. The name is telling me something..now it really bothers me but I can't recall what

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to tell me if you remember, now you are leaving me with curiosity.

      Delete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...