Contact Me

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Covers of the World: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Today in Covers of the World we have the book that started it all, Twilight (I don't like to say that out loud). 
Twilight is the first book in the Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer. 

  
1. From left to right: English US first, second and third editions.

  
2. From left to right: English UK first edition, English UK second edition and Arabic edition.

   
3. From left to right: Dutch edition, Hebrew edition and French edition.

  
4. From left to right: Thai edition, Russian edition and German edition.

  
5. From left to right: Indonesian edition, Koren edition and Norwegian edition.

  
6. From left to right: Chinese edition, Czech edition and Danish edition. 

Twilight has been published in at least 37 different languages with over 130 different editions. Many of those editions use the cover with the apple or an adaptation of it. 
According to Stephenie Meyer the apple on the cover represents the forbidden fruit from the Book of Genesis. It symbolizes Bella and Edward's love, which is forbidden, similar to the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, as is implied by the quote from Genesis 2:17 that is quoted at the beginning of the book. It also represents Bella's knowledge of what good and evil are, and the choice that she has in partaking of the "forbidden fruit", Edward, or choosing not to see him. Alternative covers features Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson, the actors who play Bella and Edward, in the film adaptation.

From These covers the ones I like the most are the Russian cover and the first US English edition. 
The covers I like the least are English UK first edition and the covers that have Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson on them. The UK first edition cover is just terrible, there is not other word for it and the problem I have with the other ones is that in general I don't like film/TV Series based book covers and these ones are not the exemption. 
Now is your turn, from these ones which are your favorites and least favorites book covers?


7 comments:

  1. They are all so ugly!
    UK first edition? huh what is that
    The russian make me think of jesus for some reason
    The Norwegian is too fluffy the Danish too boring.,

    But the German is kind of cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you thought about Jesus with the Russian cover. lol

      Delete
  2. I didn't know this french edition, mince was like the english one but in French. But I confess I'm not a fan of the series. I think I love the difference of the chinese one lol. It's fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is also a Japanese cover similar to the chinese.

      Delete
  3. Like Meliane, I don"t know where you got the fench cover but the only cover was this one: http://www.amazon.fr/Saga-Twilight-Tome-1-Fascination/dp/2012010679/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334783563&sr=1-5
    :)
    The english Uk first edition was kind of freaky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, the UK edition is freaky. About the French cover, there are 3 different covers for the French editions. You can find the one I used here: http://www.amazon.com/Saga-Fascination-Twilight-Tome/dp/2012015980 and also here http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4191215-fascination
      Thank you for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  4. Okay, the UK first edition is just creepy! Like...really! Honestly, I don't like any cover here but if I HAD to pick one, I'd pick the US original one. I too don't like the movie adaptation of book covers. They bug me. lol

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...