Contact Me

Monday, April 23, 2012

Early Review: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa



Title: The Immortal Rules
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Blood of Eden, book 1
Genre: YA Paranormal Dystopian
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.  
Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.  
Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die or become one of the monsters.  
Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.  
Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.  
But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.”
The Immortal Rules is the first book in the new series Blood of Eden by Julie Kagawa.

From a young age Allison “Allie” Sekemoto has hated the vampires that govern her city, New Covington.  The vampires also protect them from the mindless zombie like creatures (Rabids) that live outside the walls of the city in exchange from blood. They also provide for food for those registered.
Living as an unregistered is an everyday struggle, but Allie prefers to be a scavenger than blood cattle for the bloodsuckers.  She has created a family of her own with three other young unregistered like her. They watch out for each other and do whatever is necessary to survive. But after a rabid attack Allie is on the brink of death, even worse, she will become a rabid herself. A vampire that witnessed the attack gives her an option, he could end her pain and promise she will not become a rabid or he could make her a vampire. Facing her only options, die as a human or become a vampire. Allie chooses life, becoming one of the being she has hated all her life, a vampire.
After awakening as a vampire, Kanin her maker/sire takes the time to teach her everything she needs to know to survive; but her training comes short when they are forced to part different ways. With no other option that leave New Covington behind Allie starts her new life and her daily struggle not to become one of the monsters she despised.

If you are a follower of this blog or known me a little bit you should know I’m a big fan of Mrs Kagawa Iron Fey series. When I heard she was working in a new series, one that would be for more mature audiences I might have squee’d like a thirteen year old in a Justin Bieber concert. If I’m being honest I was expecting The Immortal Rules to be an adult book, I don’t know where I got the idea from, but I didn’t thought Blood of Eden was going to be another YA series. But when our heroine said she was seventeen I knew I had it wrong. After getting out of my shock and reading The Immortal Rules with a new perspective I started to enjoy it.

The Immortal Rules is a new take on vampires, in here they govern the cities and are the ones in power, they don’t sparkle nor are sweet and caring, they are bloodsucking monsters who see humans as a food source and that’s it. Of course as everything there is the exception to the rule and here comes our newly converted heroine, Allie and if I’m being generous I will also include her sire, Kanin in this not-so-bad-vampire category.

Since the first page we see Allie’s struggle and what she have to deal with everyday to survive. We see her strength, compassion and courage. After her transformations she is still the same Allie, but now she is dealing with new inner conflicts. She is trying to hold to her humanity and not become a monster more.

Kanin is an idealistic vampire, who believes/believed in the good of people, even though he pretends not to care he cares and deeply. I thought he was going to be Allie’s romantic interest, but I was wrong again, he is just her sire. Despite not having a very big presence in the book the parts he was in made a big impact on me, I really hope to see a lot more of him in future books.

Ezekiel “Zeke” Crosse is the one that made Allie’s dead heart beat. I don’t know how else to describe Zeke but as good, he is kind, caring, self-sacrificing and all the good qualities a perfect hero should have and maybe here is where I have a bit of a problem, he was too good for me, too perfect. I prefer my heroes to have some flaws and Zeke didn’t have any.

The world building in The Immortal Rules is superb there is no other word for it. Mrs. Kagawa creates magic with her words giving life to the story. The world she created is original, vivid and despite being a dystopian world is a very realistic one. The plot is well paced and engaging. The first part of the book felt a bit slow, but is completely normal and acceptable for a first book in a series where everything is new, where the new setting, world, characters and situations need to be introduced.

Mrs. Kagawa has done it again, she did the unexpected, she took an overused subject like vampires and gave them a new and refreshing feel. If you are a fan of Mrs. Kagawa books you are going to love The Immortal Rules, same if you love your vampires to be vampires or if you love dystopian books. I’m really looking forward to read next book of this series.

My Verdict: 4 ½ Paws


  
Other reviews Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. Oh I love your review! You're right I agree with you. It's true Zeke is a little too perfect, I didn't think of that. I thought there will be a romance between Allie and Kanin at first too, but well no. I'm curious to see what will happen in the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is everywhere and that is just truly evil cos you know I want it then ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds quite good. I'm glad you liked it because I think I know you a little bit and I know how much you love this author. :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...