Contact Me

Monday, April 9, 2012

Early Review: The Prophet by Amanda Stevens


Title: The Prophet
Author: Amanda Stevens
Series: The Graveyard Queen, book 3
Genre: Mystery, Paranormal
Publisher: MIRA
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
*Warning: This review contains spoilers from previous books of this series*
“My name is Amelia Gray.   
I am the Graveyard Queen, a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. My father passed down four rules to keep me safe and I've broken every last one. A door has opened and evil wants me back. 

In order to protect myself, I've vowed to return to those rules. But the ghost of a murdered cop needs my help to find his killer. The clues lead me to the dark side of Charleston—where witchcraft, root doctors and black magic still flourish—and back to John Devlin, a haunted police detective I should only love from afar. Now I'm faced with a terrible choice: follow the rules or follow my heart.”
The Prophet is the third book in The Graveyard Queen series by Amanda Stevens.

After almost losing her life in Asher Falls (The Kingdom) Amelia is back in Charleston recovering and trying to assimilate everything she learned about her past and origins. She knows her actions have consequences but she never thought not following her father’s rules will have that much repercussions.
“Never acknowledge the Dead. Never stray from hallowed ground. Never associate with the haunted. Never tempt fate.”
Soon after her arrival to Charleston the ghost of Robert Freemont approaches her. He wants her to help him find his killer; he helped her once (The Restorer), now he wants her to pay back the favor and he won’t stop haunting her until she accepts. Amelia is forced to say yes, not only she feels obligated, but for some reason Freemont can approach her in holy ground, her house that was her unbreachable haven is not offering the same security that once had. To add to this, Devlin’s daughter, Shani is also haunting Amelia and requesting her help and if that wasn’t enough for poor Amelia Mariama’s ghost is doing her best to keep her away from Devlin, even taking her to a house where she sees Devlin in the arms of another woman.

The Prophet wasn’t as creepy and scary as The Kingdom but still it had a good dose of spookiness.

In this book Amelia is doing everything contrary to what she once believed. She is going against her father’s rules, but that’s the only way to achieve what she must. I loved Amelia in previous books but in this one I didn’t like the woman she becomes when Devlin is around, She feels weak and becomes a shadow of her old self. I understand their almost metaphysical connection but still I don’t like them together and that was my big issue with this book.
Devlin is still the same Devlin from The Restorer, dark, moody and secretive. We learned more about him and his life with Mariama, but still there are many questions left unanswered and not enough for me to like him.

I’ve loved Robert Freemont since The Restorer, he is a very mysterious character/ghost that was able to do the unexplainable. The mystery behind his death and the circumstances around it were well done and even though I had my suspicions about whom the killer was the why of it was a complete surprise.

Another character I loved in this series and especially this book is the child ghost of Shani, I really wanted Amelia to help her find her peace, although I didn’t agree with the method Amelia used to do it, I kind of understood there was no other option. The resolution to Shani’s case was more than acceptable; it was perfect and completely unexpected.

New characters were introduced in this book; from those the one that gave me the willies was Mariama’s cousin Darius Goodwine. He is a dark magic practitioner with an agenda; if that wasn’t enough I think he knows more about Amelia than what she knows about herself. He did things in this book that were impossible to understand, his actions were sometimes contradictory to what I was expecting but I guess this is where his dark plans come in. I’m sure he will play an important role in books to come and I really can’t wait to see what Mrs. Stevens has planned for him.

Even though The Prophet was not my favorite book in this series I can honestly say it is still a great book. All the elements that made Mrs. Stevens’ writing magical are still present in this book. Her words are fluid and evocative. The plot moves at a good place, the mystery is well done and with many twist and turns that it will leave you scratching your head and saying: “I didn’t see that one coming” time after time. Many questions are answered in this book, but many others are left open. Like what it was said by more than one character about Amelia, that she didn’t know what she truly was and what she was able to do. I really hope to find out more about this in future books.

I recommend you this book as I have recommended you previous books, especially if you like modern gothics, paranormal fiction or a good book with a nice dose of mystery.
You should read these books in order and preferably during daytime is you are easily scared.

My Verdict: 4 Paws


Other books in the series
The Abandoned
The Restorer
The Kingdom
The Prophet (4/24/2012)

Other reviews Goodreads

7 comments:

  1. *gah* I want to read this review so bad as I am DYING for this book, but I don't even want a hint of what is to come, so I won't.... I'm glad to see you gave it 4 paws though! smiles....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same thing with other reviews before reading it. lol

      Delete
  2. They are scary? Eeeek. I do scare easily, but that is with tv so i should be good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These books are AWESOME! I can't recommend them enough.

      Delete
  3. Another series that is everywhere - and this one everyone seems to love! I am still unsure whether or not I would like it though but I'm glad that you do. I only skimmed your review because I don't want to spoil it for myself in case one day I decide to read it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to read this series, that's all I'm gonna say.

      Delete
  4. I'm also very curious about Darius, he is so intriguing! I can't wait. I'm glad you enjoyed this one even if it was a little less than the others.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...