Contact Me

Monday, April 2, 2012

Review: Sins of the Son by Linda Poitevin


Title: Sins of the Son
Author: Linda Poitevin
Series: Grigori Legacy, book 2
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Penguin Group
Format: E-book
*This review may contain spoilers from previous book*
“A detective with a secret… 

When homicide detective Alexandra Jarvis sees a photo of Seth Benjamin on a police bulletin, she knows that Heaven’s plan to halt Armageddon has gone terribly wrong. As the only mortal who knows of Seth’s true nature, she’s also the only one who can save him. 

An exiled angel turned assassin… 
Aramael was a hunter of Fallen Angels until a traitor forced him into earthly exile. Now, with no powers and only a faint memory of Alex, his mortal soulmate, he will stop at nothing to redeem himself—even if it means destroying Seth in the name of the Creator. 

A world with little chance of redemption… 
As Alex’s need to protect Seth sets her on a collision course with the determined Aramael, the conflict between them may push the world over the edge—and into the very chaos they’re trying to prevent.”
Sins of the Son is the second book in the Grigori Legacy series by Linda Poitevin.

Sins of the Son takes place couple of days after the events in Sins of the Angels, first book in this series. Detective Alexandra Jarvis is trying to pick up the pieces after what happened with Aramael, Seth and Caim. Alex is on desk-duty and force to see a psychiatrist. But how can she talk to a professional and really tell him what happened? Talking about what really happened and mentioning Angels, Fallen angels and Armageddon for sure will bring her a one-way ticket to a psychiatric ward.
Alex’s Captain knows something supernatural happened during the case, he saw things he can’t explain and if he is being honest doesn’t want them explained; for that reason he doesn’t pushes Alex much and gives her some leeway. When a police bulletin comes to his hands showing a picture of Seth Benjamin as an amnesic Joe Doe found in Vancouver he knows Alex needs to go and investigate what’s going on with Seth.
In Vancouver Alex finds Seth and as the police bulletin said Seth has lost him memory but as soon as he sees Alex he remembers her name and knows she is important to him. Dr. Elizabeth Riley is the psychiatrist that has been treating Seth for days with no improvement whatsoever until Alex comes to see him. Dr. Riley wants to know who her patient is but to her great displeasure Alex is not forthcoming with information. Detective Hugh Henderson from the Vancouver police department is also involve in Seth’s case and in other cases involving strange events that have been happening around the city, events that will test his faith and will open his horizons.
If Seth’s amnesia, Dr. Riley and Detective Henderson’s inquisitive questions weren’t enough for Alex to deal with, the reappearance of Aramael into her life and the hidden agenda he carries for sure is enough to complicate her life to the nth. And when forces from Hell and Heaven also start to get involve… let’s just say things are not pretty or easier for Alex.

I think trying to review Sins of the Son without using wows and omgs it’s going to be very difficult, but I’m going to try my best.

Sins of the Son book blew me away completely. The world Mrs. Poitevin created is not only brilliantly creative but also very unique. The mythology she has created behind Heaven and Hell is arresting, clever and complex, one of which you will die to know more and everything new you discover is something completely unexpected that will leave you astonished.

The characters are all well developed and with great depth. Alex has come a long way since Sins of the Angels and trying to do the best with what life have given her. She is coming to terms to what she is and with her importance in the scheme of things, but at the same time she doesn’t want to be a pawn, she wants to make her own decisions and live her life for herself and no for others.

Seth, omg Seth (first omg) how I love him, I have loved him since Sins of the Angels but in this book I adored him. He is strong, smart and when he loves he gives everything for that love. It’s impossible not to love him. Team Seth!!

Aramael, ok, where to start with him, I liked him in Sins of the Angels but I never loved him and in this book when I compare him to Seth he loses by many points. Despite this my heart ached for him and he did something at the end of the book that made me love him a little bit. I’m pretty sure Mrs. Poitevin has many things planned for him in the future and I can’t really wait to see with what she is going to come out now, even tough I’m a bit afraid to see it.

Dr. Riley, omg (second omg) how much I despised her. She was annoying as hell, I know she was doing her job and wanted the best for her patient and all that but sometimes she was too much of a tough cookie. As with Aramael at the end she got better and restored some of my faith in her.

Detective Henderson was a very sympathetic character and one easy to connect with. I loved how he was able to accept extraordinary circumstances and work with what was happening. I also loved how in the short term he has known Alex he started to care for her and tried to help her as much as he could.

From the higher beings the complex relationship between The One and Lucifer was nothing but astounding. The reasons behind all the politics and conflicts were just incredibly well developed and as with all the other occurrences really original and smartly done.

The end of the book was not a cliffhanger, but one that will leave you with noooo, omg, omg, omg, wow, omg, omg, wow, no she didn’t, yes she did, omg, omg I didn’t see that one coming (lost count of omgs). It was so much of and OMG-End that I had to contact Mrs. Poitevin immediately after finishing the book and in short words I told her she was an evil author to which she proudly replied that yes, she was.
To say that I’m eagerly looking to the next installment of this series is an understatement. I will stalk Mrs. Poitevin aka evil author until I learn when it will be release and then I will start to count days and minutes until get my greedy hands on it.

I recommend this book to all Urban Fantasy lovers but I recommend you to read Sins of the Angels first. Mrs. Poitevin and her Grigori Legacy series belong to my favorite shelf and I’m sure after you read her it will belong to yours too.

My Verdict: 4 ½ Paws



Other books in the series
Sins of the Angels
Sins of the Son

Other reviews Goodreads

5 comments:

  1. wow amazing! I have the first one in my TBR pile but I haven't read it yet, I really need to though, mainly that now I want to read this one lol. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you need to read the that one first. Let me know what you think.

      Delete
  2. LOL! I know, she is sooooo evil! Evil!!!! But in an amazing way :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was one of those things I didn't see coming, it never crossed my mind.

      Delete
  3. This IS a fantastic review. No wonder you're getting praise for it. Really well written and bang on in my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...