Contact Me

Monday, May 14, 2012

Early Review: Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep


Title: Dark Frost
Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Mythos Academy, book 3
Genre: YA Fiction
Publisher: Kensington (May 29th, 2012)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“I’ve seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I’m supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I’m just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me—again.  
Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects—and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I’m also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me?  
It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can’t use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me—and I’m in for the fight of my life.” 
Dark Frost is the third book in the Mythos Academy series by Jennifer Estep.

Dark Frost starts couple of weeks after events in second book, Kiss of Frost. Gwen and friends are ready to go back to school after the Holiday break. The day before school starts they visit a museum exposition for a school assignment. Gwen, Daphne, Carlson and Logan are catching up when Reapers who are looking for the Helheim Dagger attack the museum. The confrontation leaves couple of dead students and many others injured. Some of the students in the death toll are students we knew from previous books.
Gwen has been looking everywhere for the Helheim Dagger; she has checked every single item left by her mom for clues to where she could have hid it to no avail. She knows as Nike’s Champion she needs to find the dagger before the Reapers do it and use it to release Loki from his prison.
As with previous books her life is in danger, this time around is thanks to couple of encounters with Loki’s Champion. And if that wasn’t enough to have Gwen occupied, this time around she is also having problems with Daphne and doesn’t know where she is standing with Logan.

The Gwen we met in Touch of Frost is not the same Gwen she is today, she has come a long way. She is not a loner anymore and she is finding her place in the Academy. She is still not warrior material but she compensates with her bravery. Everyday she’s learning new things about her power and is coming to terms to what she can do. Despite being Nike’s Champion she has doubts about her worth and feels sometimes inadequate in her position. She struggles not only with external factors but also with her inner demons. Even though I like her I wanted to shake her for a big part of the book. She did things alone she shouldn’t have done but somehow I understood her need to prove herself.

Logan is the same Logan as in previous books, it’s obvious he’s very into Gwen but for him to be able to be with her he needs to be honest about his past, something that is not easy for him to do. Still, he was there for Gwen almost every time she needed him. Fans of Logan with love him and will want to slap him to later love him again.

Daphne comes into her power in this book, it’s hard for her to get to terms with it because it’s something she wasn’t expecting and everything that is going on in the academy just make things more complicated for her. She was another one I wanted to shake more than once, but at the end she was ok and was the friend Gwen needed.

Other characters we love from previous books are also present in this one, like Carlson, Oliver, Kenzie, Morgan, Gwen’s grandmother Geraldine, professor Metis and Nickamedes. In this installment Gwen and Nickamedes have the talk we been waiting for. We learn the why of his behavior towards her, and even though it was something I was suspecting it was nice to confirm it.
A character from Kiss of Frost made a surprise appearance, I like her a lot and I’m glad somehow we will have a part of her in future books to come.
I was guessing who was the villain for the very beginning but Mrs. Estep threw some curve balls that made me doubt myself; I like when an author does that.

I really like Dark Frost. The problems I had with previous books in this series do almost not exist in this one, Mrs. Estep did a better job around this time, every time she wanted you to catch up with previous events in the story she gave the basic information without being too repetitive. *yay*

Dark Frost is an action packed page-turner with a rich world building and lots of interesting mythological facts.
I recommend this book and this series in general to all YA fiction lovers or anyone who likes mythological folktales.
The end of Dark Frost is not a cliffhanger but still is one that will leave you eagerly waiting for next book of this series Crimson Frost.

My Verdict: 4 Stars


Other books in the series
Touch of Frost
Kiss of Frost
Dark Frost (May 29th 2012)
Crimson Frost (2013)

Other reviews Goodreads


4 comments:

  1. Oh! I've never heard of this one, looks like it's worth checking out.
    I see you reading Lethal Rider. YaY! I'm looking forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like Jennifer Estep's books you are going to like this one too.

      Delete
  2. Oh book 3 is out already! And I have only read a novella from this series so far

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...