Contact Me

Friday, May 11, 2012

Review: Bared to You by Sylvia Day


Title: Bared to You
Author: Sylvia Day
Series: Crossfire, book 1
Genre: Contemporary Erotic Romance
Publisher: Self-Published
Source: Review copy from author
Format: E-book

“Our journey began in fire...

Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness—beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I'd never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily...

Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other's most private wounds... and desires.

The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...”
Bared to You is the first book in the Crossfire series by Sylvia Day.

While reading this book I could see why they are comparing it to Fifty Shades of Grey, there are some similarities but that’s it. Bared to You is a great book on its own, the writing, characterization and plot development are “fifty” times better than Fifty Shades of Grey.

Eva Trammel has just moved to New York City with her best friend Cary and is starting a new job in an advertising company. On her first days on the city she meets Gideon Cross, the famous young billionaire owner of many businesses including the building where her new job is located.
At a young age Eva was abused, after many years of therapy she has learned to recognize the men she should keep her distance from. Gideon raises all her red flags but their attraction is not something she can control. Keeping her distance from him is easier said than done.
Gideon Cross has worked all his life to have what he has and nothing can stop him for having what he wants, including Eva. The only problem is Eva is more than what he was expecting, he can’t get enough of her but he doesn’t know how to have a normal relationship.

Bared to You is a book of flawed and broken characters, not only our hero and heroine are survivors of abuse but some of the secondary characters are as well.
We learned about Eva and her best friend Cary’s pasts, they met in a support group for abuse people. They know each other better than anybody else knows them and for years they have tried to be there for each other, sometimes failing in the intend.

The abuse regarding Gideon is not clearly specified, he suffers from terrible nightmares and we may guess what is behind them, but we don’t know nothing in detail, only the assumption we can make of the situation.
Gideon and Eva’s attraction is off the charts; they can’t keep their distance from each other even when they are sometimes hurting themselves. And the scenes when they are together are hot, steamy, sexy, hot, did I say hot? Yes, very, very hot!

The end was a little bit abrupt, one that left me wanting next book of this series Deeper in You. I really want to learn what happened to Gideon to make him the man he is today, I also want to see what’s going to happen with them because I can’t see a future as a couple for them the way they are going, at least not in a sane, healthy and stable relationship.

I have to be honest with you, this review has been one of the hardest for me to write because this story hit too close to home. Bared to You was my life twelve years ago, it was almost as if I was reading my book. I haven't been abused but I had just left a relationship that affected me a lot when I got involved with a Gideon type of man. There was one scene in particular almost at the end of the book that happened to me almost exactly as it was written, it made me cried like a baby remembering those days and the feeling of helplessness of wanting to help the person you love but not knowing how. I'm not with that person anymore, after a year and some months I couldn't take more of his jealousy, possessiveness and overall the ghosts of his past.

If you are a fan of contemporary erotic romance this book is for you. Bared to You was my first book by Sylvia Day but I can guarantee you it won’t be my last.  

My Verdict: 4 Paws


Other books in the series
Bared to You
Deeper in You (October 2012)

Other reviews Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. I have to say that I am intrigued by this book. I am seeing it here and there and your review definitely peeks my interest. I'll think on it. ;) Very good review Marcela!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking at the cover so yes I get the Hot thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the book not only was the sex hotbbut the storyline was intense as well and I can't wait to read reflected in you! I have so many questions and I NEED them answered. My only problem with the book is the use of the word cunt. *shudders* I absolutely hate that word and I cringe every single time I read it lol I thought Gideon to be to worldly and classy to use such a trashy word to describe Eva's lady part but that is my ONLY complaint. I can't wait to sink my teeth into the second book!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...