Contact Me

Friday, May 4, 2012

Review: Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris



Title: Deadlocked
Author: Charlaine Harris
Series: Sookie Stackhouse, 
book 12
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Penguin Publishing
Format: E-book
It’s vampire politics as usual around the town of Bon Temps, but never before have they hit so close to Sookie’s heart… 
Growing up with telepathic abilities, Sookie Stackhouse realized early on there were things she’d rather not know. And now that she’s an adult, she also realizes that some things she knows about, she’d rather not see—like Eric Northman feeding off another woman. A younger one. 

There’s a thing or two she’d like to say about that, but she has to keep quiet—Felipe de Castro, the Vampire King of Louisiana (and Arkansas and Nevada), is in town. It’s the worst possible time for a human body to show up in Eric’s front yard—especially the body of the woman whose blood he just drank. 

Now, it’s up to Sookie and Bill, the official Area Five investigator, to solve the murder. Sookie thinks that, at least this time, the dead girl’s fate has nothing to do with her. But she is wrong. She has an enemy, one far more devious than she would ever suspect, who’s set out to make Sookie’s world come crashing down.” 
Deadlocked is the twelfth book in the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.

The blurb explains pretty well what this book is about, I don't want to give too much away, for that reason I won’t add more to it.

We are coming to the end of this series and that was the feeling I had with Deadlocked. Many, many, many characters from previous books are present in this one, did I say many characters? Some are physically present, others are present through emails or phone calls but in a way or another we get to see where they are and what has happened with their lives. Sometimes the parade of characters was a bit overwhelming, if this wasn’t the second to last book I wouldn’t be as forgiving but I understand that Mrs. Harris wanted to tied as many small knots in this installment as possible. We see pregnancies, births, weddings, birthdays and more. Everybody is getting his or her HEA in a way or another, the only one left behind is Sookie. 

Sookie is almost as the Sookie she was in first books, at any rate she has come a long way and has learned to do what ever she needs to survive. She is in love with Eric or at least it’s what she repeats time after time in every other page, but honestly it felt more as if she was trying to convince herself that she loves him, it didn’t feel as if she was really in love with him.

Eric is almost not present in this book; if you are Team Eric as I am you are going to be a little disappointed with his lack-of-page-time in this installment. Eric is dealing with the visit of Felipe de Castro and trying to break the contract his master signed with the Queen of Oklahoma at the same time he is expecting something from Sookie and here I have some problems with him and with Sookie, they are both expecting something from the other but they are not honest with each other. They can’t sit down and have the grown up talk they needed. They just keep things from each other, Eric to protect Sookie and Sookie because she is annoyed with Eric. More than once I wanted to slap her for not being forthcoming.

I have loathed Bill for quiet sometime but his actions in Deadlocked made me forgive his previous transgressions and even like him at little bit. Pam is the same snarky and loyal vampire we love. I can’t wait to see what Mrs. Harris has in store for her. Alcide is almost back to be the good “man” we first met, he has realized his mistakes and is trying to be a better man and a better alpha. Sam is still the same man with really bad taste in women and a good friend for Sookie. Something very big happened with him at the end, something that let me with a bad taste in my mouth, I can’t say more because I’m trying to keep this review as spoiler free as possible.

Deadlocked was a better book than last 2 or 3 books of this series but still it’s not as good as the first books were. The plot is a mix and match conflict between vampires, weres and fairies but at the end it works well. The mystery and who is behind it’s easy to guess but the why of the actions was somehow a puzzlement until the end.

As I said before many threads get tied up in this installment and at the same time we get the bases of what to expect in the next and final book of this series Dead Ever After release in May 16th 2013. And for what I see and what I suspect I don’t think I’m going to be a happy reader with the direction Mrs. Harris is going to end this series.
If you are a fan of this series this is a must read, if you haven’t read this series… In which planet do you live? I’m kidding (not). Despite the rocks on the road (previous two books) this series is a must read for all urban fantasy lovers. Sookie Stackhouse series has a special place in my heart and in my forever-bookshelf.

My Verdict: 4 Paws


Other books in the series
Dead Until Dark
Living Dead in Dallas
Club Dead
Dead to the World
Dead as a Doornail
Definitely Dead
All Together Dead
From Dead to Worse
Dead and Gone
Dead in the Family
Dead Reckoning
Deadlocked
Dead Ever After (May 16th 2013)

Other reviews Goodreads

15 comments:

  1. I'm definitely team Eric so his lack of actual screen time is going to be a bummer for me. :( Thanks so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Let me know what you think of it when you read it. ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I think 90% of the fans of this series are Team Eric, let's wait and see how happy we are going to be with the last book.

      Delete
  3. Great review! I think we all saw the beginning of the end of Eric and Sookie at the end of the last book. She needs to just rip the band-aid off!

    I was pretty wow'ed by the ending. Never saw that coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you said I had my suspicions with previous book and this one only confirmed it.
      I was expecting something like what happened at the ending, it was needed to set the mood for next book.

      Delete
  4. Oh great always nice to have a better book. You've read it before me, I hope it will be my turn soon, because now I'm very curious! thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome darling, let me know what you think when you read it.

      Delete
  5. I'm listening to this now, so I didn't read tonight, but I will be back as soon as I finish. I saw the rating, and that's where I'm at right now, liking it better than the last one ( I was mad in the last book..lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was mad at the last 2 previous books and now I'm worried for the next and last one. :(

      Delete
    2. I know exactly waht you mean about being worry...me too! is there hope???...I don't think :(. I still enjoyed the book, and it was a 4 stars listen for me too.
      Great review señorita!

      Delete
  6. I will wait and see how it ends, cos >I want her with Eric and I doubt that will happen so buuu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I also don't see a feasible future with Eric. *cries*

      Delete
  7. In your post you wrote that Dead Ever After releases May 16th 2012.. but you meant 2013. I am still sad that there is only one more book. I just expected this to be a really long series.. like the Stephanie Plum books. I will be disappointed when they are all done.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fixed it, thank you for telling me ;)
      I'll also be disappointed when they are done but I think the time came to finish this series in a high note, hopefully we will be satisfied with the ending.

      Delete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...