Contact Me

Friday, May 18, 2012

Review: Tricked by Kevin Hearne


Title: Tricked
Author: Kevin Hearne
Series: The Iron Druid Chronicles, book 4
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Del Rey
Format: E-book
“Druid Atticus O’Sullivan hasn’t stayed alive for more than two millennia without a fair bit of Celtic cunning. So when vengeful thunder gods come Norse by Southwest looking for payback, Atticus, with a little help from the Navajo trickster god Coyote, lets them think that they’ve chopped up his body in the Arizona desert.  

But the mischievous Coyote is not above a little sleight of paw, and Atticus soon finds that he’s been duped into battling bloodthirsty desert shapeshifters called skinwalkers. Just when the Druid thinks he’s got a handle on all the duplicity, betrayal comes from an unlikely source. If Atticus survives this time, he vows he won’t be fooled again. Famous last words.”
Tricked is the fourth book in The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne.

If you are a follower of this blog or know me a little you'll know that I love The Iron Druid Chronicles. Last year The Iron Druid Chronicles made my top five series.
The day Tricked was released I was reading it and if I’m being honest with great expectations, that’s what happens when an author spoiled us with excellent writing, you are always expecting the same quality and with Tricked once again Mr. Hearne delivers.

Atticus is one of my favorite main characters in a book/series, I think the mix between otherworldly and normal young man make him a very endearing character. He also possesses the perfect balance between strength and vulnerability a hero like him should have.

This series also has one of my favorite sidekicks in a book/series. Oberon is an Irish wolfhound and Atticus perfect companion of many years. Thanks to Atticus' magic he is able to communicate with Oberon, their conversations are adorable and funny as hell. I wish I could have an Oberon.
“… The essence of Druidry is training the mind to both handle contradictory input and construct contradictory output.” 
< That would make a politician, not a Druid >
What? Oh. Well- 
< Hound 4, Druid 1. >

< Hey, Atticus, you watching this? > he asked. 
Yes. You’d better let him win, Oberon. If you pull him down, he’ll lose face with his crew. 
< Oh. Good thing you said something, because I was about to yank him off his feet and then hump his leg, proclaiming him to be my bitch. >

I could talk and talk about how great this book is but I don’t want to bore you. Let’s just say that there is not a bad character in this book. The story is a non-stop action packed, full of intrigues, deceptions and betrayals; with its many twist and turns it will keep you guessing page after page about what is coming next. The story is also very rich in mythology. We learn about many pantheons and their different gods and goddesses. 
There is not romance in this book but there is an attraction that will have you wishing and begging Mr. Hearne for more, please Mr. Hearne more, please, pretty please.

Kevin Hearne’s writing is fluid, spotless and fun, one that will trap you within the first sentence and won’t let you go until you reach the last word and even there it will leave you wanting and praying for more, you may even find yourself lighting black candles to the Morrigan and asking her to send more inspiration to Mr. Hearne.

As I said before I could continue with my praises for this book and this series without stop, but I think the best I can do is to tell you to read it. If you haven’t read previous books (why? why? why?) you should read them (now) in order. Kevin Hearne and his Iron Druid Chronicles books have a special place in my heart and in my for-ever-love-series-shelf. I’m sure after you read these books they will have a special place in yours too.
I’m looking forward to December for the release of the next installment of this series Trapped.

My Verdict: 5 Paws


Other books in the series
Hexed
Hammered
Tricked
Trapped (Dec. 2012)
Hunted (2013)

Other reviews Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. OOO, I'm glad Tricked was that good! Just starting to read it now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think, I hope you like it as much as I did.

      Delete
  2. yes but..but..but..oh well, ok then

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...