Contact Me

Monday, June 25, 2012

Early Review: Chasing Magic by Stacia Kane



Title: Chasing Magic
Author: Stacia Kane
Series: Downside Ghosts, book 5
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Random House Publishing
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“A DEADLY HIGH 
Magic-wielding Churchwitch and secret addict Chess Putnam knows better than anyone just how high a price people are willing to pay for a chemical rush. But when someone with money to burn and a penchant for black magic starts tampering with Downside’s drug supply, Chess realizes that the unlucky customers are paying with their souls—and taking the innocent with them, as the magic-infused speed compels them to kill in the most gruesome ways possible. 
As if the streets weren’t scary enough, the looming war between the two men in her life explodes, taking even more casualties and putting Chess squarely in the middle. Downside could become a literal ghost town if Chess doesn’t find a way to stop both the war and the dark wave of death-magic, and the only way to do that is to use both her addiction and her power to enter the spell and chase the magic all the way back to its malevolent source. Too bad that doing so will probably kill Chess—if the war doesn’t first destroy the man who’s become her reason for living.”
Chasing Magic is the fifth installment in the Downside Ghosts series by Stacia Kane.

The blurb is very explanatory, I won’t add more to it because I don’t want to give too much away; you should discover this book by yourself.

I think the best way to start this review is with “What an emotional ride”. Since the first paragraph Mrs. Kane grabs you with her words and doesn’t let you go until you reach the last word.

Since the moment I read Unholy Ghosts the Downside Ghosts series became one of my favorite series, but lately, especially with the last book, Sacrificial Magic (despite being a great book), I felt it was the same thing over and over and I was afraid this book was going to be the same of the same. I love this series so much I was afraid I was going to get tired of it. I have to be honest with you, I was a little bit reluctant to reading this book, I postponed it for days at a time until I knew I couldn’t postponed it anymore, I “had to” read it. But now after reading Chasing Magic I can honestly say that even though you could say Chasing Magic has many elements of previous books it’s at the same time A LOT more. I’ m pretty sure I lost you by now with my ramblings, let me try to explain, for four books we have seen the destructive path Chess has been going through, in four books she didn’t change a bit, I can even say she got somehow worse and seeing her going through that path was not only heartbreaking but too much, I wanted her to see there is more than just her fears, her past and being high, I wanted her to see there is a future for her, one that could be good if only she gives herself the opportunity to live it. She is a great person and I wanted her to see that. Seeing her self-loathing was getting a bit old. Don’t take me wrong, for grand part of this book she is still the same Chess but now we are left with the feeling that there is hope for her. There are not big changes because that would be unrealistic, but as I said before there is hope and that is thanks to Terrible. OMG! Terrible, he couldn’t be any better because it’s impossible. It’s incredible how a character like him, a drug dealer’s enforcer can have the heart that he has and the best part is that his emotions felt real. He loves his Cheesiebomb with all his big heart and is not afraid of showing it (just thinking about him brings a smile to my face). He wears his heart on his sleeve and is willing to do ANYTHING for Chess, anything, when I say anything I mean ANYTHING. Terrible may not be the handsomest man out there but for sure he is the most swoon worthy.

One of the things I like the most about Chasing Magic is that there is a lot of Terrible in it. In this installment Chess and Terrible have to work very, very, very close and that’s a treat for us readers. Seeing their interactions and how little by little they are discovering how important they are in each other lives is an amazing ride. I’m not saying everything is rose and petals because it’s not, there are more sad and heartbreaking moments than happy ones but they are there because Terrible and (especially) Chess needed them to be there to able to move forward. Maybe Chess doesn’t move at the pace we would like her to move but even at a snail pace she is now going forward. YAY!

With Lex things are a bit more complicated, not only he is the new leader of Slowbag’s territory but also he knows Chess and knows how to push her buttons. Now as Bump’s enemy Lex has plans to take over Bump’s territory, those plans affect Chess and of course Terrible because he’s on Lex’s way. I wanted to hate Lex for certain decisions he made in this book but I couldn’t, I understand why he did it, it’s a war between gangs where everything goes. Also I can help but wonder if Lex is in love with Chess, sometimes there was no doubt about it while others… I wanted to slap him.

In Chasing Magic we see more of Bump and learn a little bit about his relationship with Terrible. He also shows a different side in this installment, one we can’t call soft but I guess in his case it could apply.

Elder Griffin has played an important role in Chess’ life, he is the only man she has ever trust (before Terrible) and he has loved her and respected her since the moment he met her. In Chasing Magic some truths come to the light and their relationship changes drastically. I don’t know if things can go back to the way there were but for Chess’ sake I can only hope.

The story in Chasing Magic is dark and gritty as we can expect with this series. The plot is well developed with not a dull moment. The world Mrs. Kane creates is creepy and scary as hell.
Chasing Magic is a roller coaster of emotions that will keep you on the edge of your chair with so many twists and turns and heart wrenching moments that you will need hours to decompress after reading it, despite that, Chasing Magic will leave you with a “feel good” feeling.

Chasing Magic is one of my favorite books in the series, one you have to read if you are a fan of this series and if you haven’t read this series what are you waiting for? Downside Ghosts is one of the best Urban Fantasy series out there and as I said many times before, Stacia Kane writes Urban Fantasy at its best.

My Verdict: 4 ½ Paws


Other books in the series
Unholy Ghosts
Unholy Magic
City of Ghosts
Sacrificial Magic
Chasing Magic (06/26/2012)


Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. Agree agree agree agree agree. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I gave up after 3 books :/ Oh pooh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to get to this one, it came out on audio today, but Thief of Shadows also came out today, so I'm listening to that one first.
    I'm sure this is a great review, as always:), I only looked at your rating, I'll be back to read when I finish.
    I'm excited 4.1/2 stars..YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, I loved all the Chess and Terrible time. This became one of my favorites of the series.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...