Contact Me

Monday, June 18, 2012

Review: Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen


Title: Dark Kiss
Author: Michelle Rowen
Series: Nightwatchers, book 1
Genre: YA Fiction
Publisher: Harlequin
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“I don't do dangerous.

Smart, ├╝ber-careful, ordinary Samantha—that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me, something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing—and I don't know if I can get it back.

Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me.”
Dark Kiss is the first installment in the Nightwatchers series by Michelle Rowen.

Samantha (Sam) is your normal teenager with some personal issues due to her parents’ divorce and feeling of abandonment as a result of the divorce.
Sam couldn’t believe her luck the night Stephen Keyes, her crush of all her life wanted to kiss her. Little did she know that that kiss would change her drastically, Stephen not only made her dream come true, he also stole her soul with his kiss, turning her into a Grey, a being who needs to steal souls by kissing others to survive.
After the serious amounts of new Greys in Trinity, New York, Heaven and Hell are forced to unite their fronts to control this new threat, they send a team of two angels and two demons to investigate who is behind the new creations of Greys and to manage the situation. Bishop is the angel in charge of the mission, next to Zach (angel), Kraven and Roth (demons) will have to control the Greys and find their “maker” before it’s too late.
What Bishop wasn’t expecting are the complications he is experiencing in Trinity, nor the attraction he is feeling for Sam, a Grey that should be his enemy, instead she is the only person that can help him with his mission.

While I enjoyed reading Dark Kiss I had some problems with it. The main problem was that I couldn’t connect or like the main characters and when you don’t like the main characters you know you have a problem.

Sam (was very special) had a very wishy-washy personality and her decisions let too much to be desired (even though she was special). The only thing I liked about her was (apart for being special) that she didn’t panic when she learned she had lost her soul but (as a special person) tried to look for answers and a solution. The rest of the time (when she wasn’t special) I wanted to shake her a little bit (to make her special). She was better (and special) by the end but it was not enough for me to like her (despite being special).
You may be thinking I lost my “special” mind but don’t worry, I’m still “sane”, I just wanted you to feel what I felt while reading this book, I don’t know how many times it was said that Sam was “special”, but I can guarantee you it was many more times than what I used in that paragraph… Did I tell you she was special?

Now let’s talk about Bishop. He is dreamy and a tortured hero, we all love those but… the problem I have with him is that I don’t know much about him, ok, I know he is an angel with a turbulent past and issues in the present, but from that past we don’t know much, just minor glimpses that didn’t help me to learn who he was or to make a real connection to him.

Another problem I had was their insta-love connection, apart from that there was not a real connection between them, I didn’t see or feel why they like each other. There was nothing that would have made me believe their relationship was real and lasting.

From the secondary characters I liked half of them the other half I could have done without them. Sam’s best-friend Carly was annoying and stupid; she kind of redeem herself at the end but it was a little too late. Roth was another one that didn’t anything to the story. Zach was a nice character; he brought the soft side of the angels and made me want to learn more about him.
Now my favorite character, the one that stole the show was the demon Kraven, he was the more complex and interesting of the characters and the one that made the story a better one. He not only brought the laughs to the pages but also the deep moments.

Don’t take me wrong, despite of what I didn’t like I enjoyed Dark Kiss. If you don’t take in consideration the repetitiveness of certain (small) things the writing was fluid and entangling.
The ending was not a cliffhanger but one that ensures there is more to come and what is coming won’t be easy or nice.
Dark Kiss reminded me a lot of the Soul Screamers series by Rachel Vincent and Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith, if you like those series you may like this one.
Due to my inability to connect with its main characters I don’t think I’ll continue with this series. I’m not sure Dark Kiss would be appealing to adult audiences but I’m sure it’ll be to YA.

My Verdict: 3 Paws


Other books in this series
Dark Kiss
Wicked Kiss (TBA)

Other reviews Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. Sam (was very special) had a very wishy-washy personality and her decisions let too much to be desired (even though she was special). The only think I liked about her was (apart for being special) that she didn’t panic when she learned she had lost her soul but (as a special person) tried to look for answers and a solution. The rest of the time (when she wasn’t special) I wanted to shake her a little bit (to make her special). She was better (and special) by the end but it was not enough for me to like her (despite being special).

    ROFL! I loved that fragment of your review! Insta-love and "special" heroes/heroines are two main reason I read YA less and less...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to start reading it less and less too, at least for a while.

      Delete
  2. When I saw the book I knew it might be not for me. I don't know really why. But well even if you liked it, the things you didn't like would have annoyed me... I finally choose to read some other books. thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Maybe you didn't like it because of its covers... it's almost as an Edward with wings.

      Delete
  3. Oh no...no connection and I am out of the door. I need to connect or at least like them a tiny bit cos else it just wont work for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I waited and waited to see if I could see some connection but by the end there was nothing. :(

      Delete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...