Contact Me

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Early Review: Moonglow by Kristen Callihan


Title: Moonglow
Author: Kristen Callihan
Series: Darkest London, book 2
Genre: Paranormal Historical Romance
Publisher: Forever
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
Once the seeds of desire are sown . . .

Finally free of her suffocating marriage, widow Daisy Ellis Craigmore is ready to embrace the pleasures of life that have long been denied her. Yet her new-found freedom is short lived. A string of unexplained murders has brought danger to Daisy's door, forcing her to turn to the most unlikely of saviors . . .

Their growing passion knows no bounds . . .

Ian Ranulf, the Marquis of Northrup, has spent lifetimes hiding his primal nature from London society. But now a vicious killer threatens to expose his secrets. Ian must step out of the shadows and protect the beautiful, fearless Daisy, who awakens in him desires he thought long dead. As their quest to unmask the villain draws them closer together, Daisy has no choice but to reveal her own startling secret, and Ian must face the undeniable truth: Losing his heart to Daisy may be the only way to save his soul.”
Moonglow is the second installment in the Darkest London series by Kristen Callihan.

After completing her year of mourning, widow Daisy Craimore is ready to live her life to the fullest and leave the memories of her awful marriage behind. During her first outing as a free woman she and her companion discovered the mauled body of her best friend and are attacked by a monster, her companion didn’t survived the encounter.
Lord Ian Ranulf is on his way home when the smell of blood and werewolf calls to him; immediately he goes to investigate. A Lycan himself he knows how to recognize the different smells. He finds two mauled bodies and a victim in shock. A need to protect awakens in him when he sees the woman who survived the attack. He takes her to his house; he needs to know who she is, what happened and how much she knows. But his real excuse is to have her close to him. What he doesn’t know is that this woman is not other than Miranda’s sister, Daisy (Firelight, first book in the series).
When Daisy awakes she realizes she is in a strange house and soon after all her memories from the attack come to life.
Ian explains to her that he is a doctor and he found her and brought her to his home to treat her.
After some investigating he realizes Daisy is still in danger from this werewolf. He wants to keep her close to protect her but convincing Daisy of this it’s not as easy as he may have wanted, especially when Daisy discovers he is the infamous Lord Ian Ranulf.


I liked Daisy since the moment I met her in Firelight, I love her strength and her love for life. I loved how close she was to her sisters, I loved that even in a bad marriage where she was unhappy she always found something to smile for.
In Moonglow she was all that and much more. Now she can breathe in peace, her abusive husband is dead and she is out of mourning, she is ready to live to the fullest again without caring about what society thinks.
I loved how despite all the suffering caused by her husband she is still a happy and kind person; that more than anything else shows us her strength.

In Firelight I wasn’t sure what to think about Lord Ian, I liked him and I didn’t liked him. But in Moonglow we learn more about his past; after that it’s easy to understand his actions and there is no other option left to us but to like him and wish him the happiness he so much deserves.

Ian and Daisy are perfect for each other; both have strong personalities that balance each other perfectly. Even though there was an attraction since their first encounter the relationship developed slowly. Daisy doesn’t trust his intentions because she knows he was infatuated with her sister Miranda. And Ian has promised himself never to get involved with a “mortal” again. But the more time they spend together and know each other the harder it is for them to find excuses not to be together.
I love the banter and the tension between them. Mrs. Callihan is an expert in building tension between characters, keeping us eagerly waiting for the next touch, the next stolen kiss, until that final encounter that steams the pages.

I loved how Mrs. Callihan interweaves the character from Firelight to this story. We see where Lord Archer and Miranda are in their lives; we also learn more about Daisy and Miranda’s older sister, Poppy. We also see more of Poppy’s husband Inspector Winston Lane.
In Moonglow we are also introduce to new and interesting characters, one of them is Ian’s valet and almost friend, Jack Talent. I really loved him, I love how protective he was of Ian and I loved that he always spoke his mind. I really hope to see more of him in future books.

The world Mrs. Callihan created in this series is extraordinary. I loved how she masterfully combines the historical and paranormal aspects of the story, bringing us something new and refreshing in each book.

I have to be honest, I was a little bit worried about reading Moonglow, I loved Firelight so much that I was afraid this second installment wouldn’t meet my expectations, but I’m happy to inform you that Moonglow is an excellent sequel, one I liked as much if not more than Firelight.

The end of Moonglow is not a cliffhanger but one that left me looking forward to the next installment of this series, Winterblaze. Winterblaze will feature Poppy and her husband Winston.

Moonglow could be read as a stand-alone but I won’t recommend you to do that, Firelight is also a great book that deserves to be read. I recommend you to read them in order to better understand the motives behind the actions of the characters.
I’m looking forward to February 26th, 2013 to the release of Winterblaze.

My Verdict: 4 ½ Paws

Other books in the series
Ember (Novella-prequel)
Moonglow (July 31st)
Winterblaze (February 26th, 2013)

Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. yay so glad you enjoyed this one as well, I can't wait for the third to know the ideas for the next book. great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Think I'm going to go look at book 1 now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remembered reading many positive reviews for the first book then went out and bought it...and forgot. Then I bought the eBook. So I have it twice and still haven't read it! Nice to see the second book is good too. :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...