Contact Me

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Interview With Amanda Bonilla


Last year when I read Shaedes of Gray (favorite books of 2011) I knew I have found a new favorite series and an amazing new author. After talking to Mrs. Bonilla I realized she was not only a very talented writer but a very kind and approachable person as well. After months of talking to her I only have good things to say about her, for that reason when I decided to do my First Ever Interview for my blog I decided she was the perfect author to “pop my interview cherry”. I contacted her couple of months ago, I wanted to be part of her blog tour for her second book Blood Before Sunrise and I was lucky because she said yes.*


Help me welcome Amanda Bonilla and celebrate with her the release of Blood Before Sunrise.

Books and Writing Related Questions

1.   What would you like your readers to know about The Shaede Assassin series?
The Shaede Assassin series is basically about a woman who has lived years being abused and used, and now she’s trying to figure out how to live her life. As the series progresses Darian is learning how to own up to her mistakes and move on. There’s action, adventure, mystery, romance, and a decent amount of alpha male action. If you like dark story lines, and emotionally damaged, strong-willed, stubborn, potty-mouthed heroines who know how to fight, this series might be up your alley.

2.  Is there a question you wanted people to ask you about your books but have never been asked and what would be your answer?
Wow! I think that’s the toughest question I’ve ever been asked. Let’s see…. No one has asked me yet if I have any other series in mind. And I do! I’ve got one book in an urban fantasy romance written and another outlined. Though I can’t see myself parting ways with Darian any time soon, I’d like to put more stories out in the world!

3.  Which is the question you have been asked the most by readers and your answer?
Most people want to know how I came up with the concept for the Shaedes. Honestly, it’s one of those instances where rather than finding the idea, the idea found me. It literally just popped into my head out of nowhere. Darian’s first few sentences of narrative ran through my mind and I envisioned her meeting with someone about a job and then just vanishing into shadow. I wrote the first 10,000 words of Shaedes of Gray in two days. The idea pretty much consumed me.

4.  How do you choose the name of your characters?
Well, I’d used the name Darian in a story I’d written years ago. I love that name and I was anxious to recycle it. It’s a strong name and I thought it fit her personality to a tee. For Tyler, I really wanted a name that was just a boy-next-door sort of name. I wanted Ty’s name to be a complete oxymoron to what he was. I get a lot of character names from people I know or have met, baby name books, and the credits for TV shows and movies. You’d be surprised how many cool names scroll by in the credits!

5.  How did you choose to write Urban Fantasy?
I love action. Love, LOVE it! And I’ve always been fascinated with myths, legends, and the supernatural. Urban Fantasy is great because you get to immerse yourself in this supernatural world full of bad-ass characters. There is nothing cooler than a woman with a sword, in my opinion! Plus, in UF a writer can have an equal balance of fantasy, action, and sex.

6.  If your book would be made into a movie or TV series which actress would you like to play Darian and which actors Tyler, Raif and (my boyfriend) Xander?
If you asked the hubs who should play Darian, he’d say Deborah Ann Woll (Jessica from True Blood). She’d be pretty good, but I also envision someone with Scarlett Johansson’s features when I picture Darian. For Tyler, I’d cast Taylor Kitsch (John Carter), and for Xander, Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy). He is SO yummy! He’d be the perfect Xander! As for Raif, I think someone like Jensen Ackles would be great. Wouldn’t you just love to see him swinging a sword? ;)

7.   How many books are planned for The Shaede Assassin series?
I’m contracted for three, but I could definitely write six or seven, plus I have a couple of spin-offs planned. In fact, I already have Raif’s book outlined, so I hope I get to write it someday!

8.   What can we expect in your next (third) book in this series?
CRAVE THE DARKNESS is a more emotionally complex book. Darian is dealing with a lot and she’s trying to decide what she needs in her life to make her happy. She’s also responsible for protecting Anya, and she’s going to have to swallow her considerable pride and learn how to open up to people. Readers who like Xander will get their fix as well. There’s a lot of him in this book. ;)

5 – QPQ (quick personal questions)

1.   What do you drink while you are writing (coffee, tea, soda, vodka, absinthe, ayahuasca…)?
Absinthe! LOL. I like to start working pretty early in the morning, so I start off with coffee. Coffee is definitely one vice I’m not willing to give up. After that, it’s usually Coke Zero or Crystal Light. I really like the ruby red grapefruit and strawberry-tangerine flavors.

2.  What is your favorite food?
I love all food! But I think anything with pasta in it would be my favorite. When I’m 80 or 90 years old, I’m just going to eat all day long. Pasta, ice cream, bread… By then, it won’t matter if I can fit into my pants or not!

3.  What book are you reading now or read last?
I’m waiting to start ONCE BURNED by Jeaniene Frost. I loooooove Vlad! The last book I finished was an erotic short story by Moira McTark called FORBIDDEN. It was very sweet and sexy and well-written. Really good!

4.  Do you buy a book by the cover?
Sometimes. The original cover for Andrea Cremer’s NIGHTSHADE was just too gorgeous for me to resist. I don’t read much YA, but I wanted that book on my shelf. I think I’d buy all of the Brodi Ashton EVERNEATH books, too. Her covers are beautiful.

5.  What is the place in the world you have dreamed about visiting all your life?
I really want to travel all over Europe. There’s just so much history and beauty. My hubs has this grand idea that we’re going to walk the Camino de Santiago (this 500 mile pilgrimage in the Pyrenees). He thinks if we train for three years, we’ll be able to pull it off. If we do it, we’d have to walk about 18 miles a day in order to complete the trek in a month. This might be the opportunity I get to eat all the food I want!

*Even though I have posted another interview before this one was the first interview I ever did.


6 comments:

  1. I soooo wanna read this book..well book 1 first of course :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview!!!! So glad your cherry is popped, Marcela. Awesome questions and answers by two of my favorites!!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this interview! It's always amazing to know new things and as I love the books. And well I want more than 3 books for the series, I'm sure of it! I really want to read CRAVE THE DARKNESS now!!! And yeah, come in Europe lol, mainly France, it would be a good idea! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again for having me on your blog, Marcela! <3 You're awesome!! And thanks, everyone for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure. Thanks to you for the opportunity. :)

      Delete
  5. The covers for this series is beautiful. Nicely detailed :D

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...