Contact Me

Monday, July 30, 2012

Review: The Darkest Day by Britt Bury


Title: The Darkest Day
Author: Britt Bury
Series: Immortal Heat, book 1
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“ALL-CONSUMING DESIRE . . . 
Izel Campbell was raised to believe she is an immortal Fionn with the magical skills of persuasion. But when she travels to Scotland to visit her ancestral home, Izel discovers that she is actually the world's last living human. Forced to run for her life, Izel crosses paths with Kelvin Kerr, the Campbells' greatest foe-and the most magnificent warrior she has ever seen.
BURNS BRIGHTEST . . .
A thousand-year-old battle chief of the Kerr clan, Kelvin lives only to avenge his father, who died at the hands of the bloody Campbells. Honor demands he kill the Campbell heir, but when he learns that the lovely Izel is both Campbell and human, Kelvin is torn between duty and desire . . . 
ON THE DARKEST DAY” 
The Darkest Day is the first book in the new series Immortal Heat by Britt Bury.

Following her grandfather’s summons Izel Campbell travels to his house in Scotland, but when she arrives she finds the house deserted with no sign of her grandfather.
Sworn enemies Campbells (Fionns) and Kerrs (Pookahs) have been battling for over thousand years; Kelvin Kerr, the Kerr’s battle chief has been waiting for years for the arrival of the Campbell’s heir also known as The McCall. Killing The McCall is his only objective in life. He is lie in waiting for him to arrive but to his great surprise the McCall is not a He is a She, Izel Campbell.
Soon after Izel’s arrival something starts to happen to her, a spell placed on her at birth by her grandfather starts to lift, bringing in her radical physical and emotional changes. Izel never felt any kind of emotion in her life and now all this new feelings are coming rushing to her. And not only that, but her physical appearance also changes from a very simple woman to a voluptuous and sensual one.
Kelvin doesn’t know what to think, to fulfill his plans for revenge for the murder of his father he needs to kill Izel, but not only she is a woman, according to his “nose” she is also the last full human on earth and also if his nose doesn’t lie, she is his mate; talk about complications.
Izel doesn’t know who Kelvin is; she has lived all her life in the States, far from the Campbells and with almost no information of her family. Kelvin offers to help her look for her grandfather and with no other option she accepts his help. Kelvin’s plan is to take her to Kerr castle before deciding what to do with her. But Izel being a full human complicate things, he scent is maddening and if any creature that feed of blood or flesh gets her smell her life will be in peril. Now not only he can’t kill Izel, he will have to protect her to bring her safe to Kerr castle.


I liked that Izel had a good sense of humor and have a great inner strength, but sometimes I wanted to slap her. I understand everything was new to her, I can’t imagine living for twenty-five years without feeling a thing and then suddenly getting all the rush of emotions. That must be more than overwhelming, but it was not a valid reason to made decisions that were childish and irresponsible, decisions that put her life and Kelvin’s in danger. At the end she was a lot better, she fought for what she wanted and she became a real leader to her people, I admired her for it. 

Kelvin is great hero; he is not only a mix of highlander warrior with immortal sexy on the side but he is also an honorable, caring and protective man. One thing that had me rolling my eyes a little bit was his razorback nature, every time it was mentioned I was picturing this wild pig and I didn’t find it sexy. I’m glad it was just his essence and he didn’t shift into it. I think the razorback was a weird choice of animal for Mrs. Bury.

Kelvin and Izel’s relationship was one of “Mine” at first sight; in this case it works because of Kelvin’s nature. I loved how they fought their attraction, building the tension page after page. Also because of Kelvin’s nature he can only mate with his fate female during the winter’s solstice, if he has sex with her before that night they won’t be mated. This helped build the tension even more because I didn’t want them to have sex before that night.

There is an array of secondary characters; we meet some characters from the Pookah side of the family and some from the Fionns. Some I would love to learn more about like Kelvin’s brother and cousins and Izel’s friend Ramsey. We also learned about other creatures like witches, demons, vampires and more.

The world Mrs. Bury has created is somehow different from the rule; I liked how in this world due to evolution humans are an extinct species, I think that was a nice and different touch. I also liked how rich in mythology this book is, but at the same time I would have liked to learn a lot more about the different kind of creatures, I think some things were too vague and would have need more information. I’m hoping to see that in future books.
There was a glossary at the end of the book that would have helped me a lot if I had seen it before reading the book.
The end was a good end, one that let things open for future books. I’m looking forward to second book of this series.

All in all, The Darkest Day is a good and fun debut novel, one that will leave you wanting for more. I recommend this book to paranormal romance lovers.

My Verdict: 4 Paws

Other reviews Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. I adored Kelvin. He is so cute. I was also glad the world was a little different- humans were extinct etc...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound good, even if my new guest reviewer did not think so ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this and it fell through the cracks. Thanks for the review, I think this won't end up in my DNF

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...