Contact Me

Friday, August 31, 2012

Review: Boyfriend From Hell by Jamie Quaid



Title: Boyfriend From Hell
Author: Jamie Quaid
Series: Saturn’s Daughter, book 1
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Pocket Books
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“They say justice is blind. But Justine isn’t. 
Justine (Tina) Clancy is just an ordinary law student with a faulty arrest record, a part-time job in Baltimore’s radioactive Zone, and a family secret so bizarre even she doesn’t believe it. That is, until in a fit of fury she damns her boyfriend to hell—and it’s exactly where he ends up. 
Much to her surprise, Tina is apparently one of Saturn’s daughters, with the power to wield vigilante justice. But poor Max didn’t deserve to go up in flames, even if he did almost run her over with her own car. Tina’s convinced someone cut the brakes—and now a relentless nemesis is stalking her through the Zone’s back alleys, where buildings glow, statues move, and chemical waste exposure comes with interesting consequences. Tina’s usually a loner, but now she needs a posse like no other: a shape-shifting kitten, an invisible thief, a biker gang, a snake-charming private detective, a well-meaning cop, and her sleazy, sexy boss. But in between freeing Max from hell, saving her own neck, and solving a mystery that threatens the Zone and her newfound friends, how is she ever going to study for finals?”
Boyfriend From Hell is the first book in the new series Saturn’s Daughters by Jamie Quaid (aka Patricia Rice).

The blurb is more than explanatory; adding more to it will be giving too much away.
I have to be honest I wanted to love this book but sadly I didn’t. It’s not that I didn’t like it because I did, but there was something in it that didn’t work for me, and after days of reading I’m still can’t pinpoint what was it. One thing I can say for sure was that it took me more than “my” normal time to finish this book, considering this I can say it dragged a little bit and it was too easy for me to put it down. Why? I don’t know because the premise was good, the characters were interesting and entertaining and the world was new and unique. I’m even thinking that maybe the saying “It’s not you it’s me” applies to my personal opinion of the book, maybe I was in one of those days in which I could have read my favorite book and still I would have had problems with it. 

I liked Justine (Tina), she was a nice heroine, one easy to connect with. I thought she was snarky, smart, I liked her determination to learn the truth. I also liked that she was capable of finding solutions to the different situations life placed her. The only problem I had with her was her obsession about studying and taking her finals. I know she wanted that more than anything in her life but sometimes it became too much, to the point of feeling repetitive and annoying.

The secondary characters are many and varied. On the beginning we don’t know who is who or what are the motives behind their actions but slowly we learn about them and what they are hiding.
Justine’s boss, Andre, he's very mysterious and we don’t know about his real intentions towards Justine, but the more we learned about him the more we’ll like him, we also start to understand the why of so much secrecy around him and the other residents of The Zone.
Talking about the other residents of The Zone they are a multitude of characters, all with different personalities, qualities and attributes thanks to the effects of The Zone in them. One character I loved was Justine’s cat, I loved how he can be the cutest kitty one moment and the next he was a protective little beast.
Justine’s boyfriend Max is present in a weird way, their relationship was not in the best place when he died and now that he’s in Hell thanks to Justine he can talk to her through mirrors. He is another one that had a hidden agenda, I can’t say if I liked him or not, but I’m sure we will see more about him in future books.

I liked the world Mrs. Quaid created. I think the chemical waste exposure and the subsequent changes in people and in inanimate objects was smartly done; comparing this aspect to other books Boyfriend From Hell felt new and refreshing. I liked that we learned a lot in this book but there is a lot still to be discovered.
As I said before the book dragged in some parts but still it was funny and entertaining. I’m sure I’ll read second book in the series, I want to know what is going to happen with Justine and Andre and why not… with Max.

My Verdict: 3 ½ Paws


Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. Not sure about the dragging, but maybe I could get over it. I never know before I have tried a book

    Still, she is a skinny one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - I think I'll read the next one..I liked the heroine..but it did drag in places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too much time spent on world building? In any case it's good to know it's a passable first book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the kitty, he was so cute!!! I agree I don't really know how I feel about Max but I think we'll see later. I'm sorry you had a problem with this book.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...