Contact Me

Monday, August 20, 2012

Review: Pleasures of a Tempted Lady by Jennifer Haymore


Title: Pleasures of a Tempted Lady
Author: Jennifer Haymore
Series: Donovan Sisters, book 3
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Forever
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“Forbidden passion is the ultimate temptation...
Captain William Langley knows the ocean well, but nothing could prepare him for what he discovers adrift on the cold Irish Sea. The tiny boat carries two passengers: a child—and Meg Donovan, Will's long-lost love. Meg's disappearance at sea eight years ago was a devastating blow. Now she's back, as beautiful as ever, and with secrets as deep as Will's own.
After years held captive by a cold-blooded pirate, Meg has finally escaped with little Jake, the boy she's come to love as if he were her own. But the pirate wants his revenge—and Meg must do whatever it takes to shield Jake from the madman. Determined not to lose Meg again, Will vows to protect them both, yet Meg can't risk putting the only man she's ever loved in danger. With the threat to her safety growing, and her passion for Will burning brighter every day, surrendering herself to Will might be a pleasure too tempting to resist.”
Pleasures of a Tempted Lady is the third book in the Donovan Sisters series by Jennifer Haymore.

Since I read (Confessions of an Improper Bride, first book) about Meg Donovan’s disappearance after a tragic accident at sea I had my suspicions she was alive. I was right; in Pleasures of a Tempted Lady we learn what happened to her after the accident.
After falling overboard Meg was rescued by a pirate ship. When the pirate who rescued her realized she was a well-educated lady he kept her as a prisoner. He wanted Meg to teach his wife how to be a lady. Meg and the pirate’s wife became somehow friends; that friendship was what helped Meg during her captive years but after her only friend falls ill and dies Meg knows she needs to escape with Jake, the pirate’s young son.  
Meg’s luck shines on her when after escaping with Jake she is rescued by Captain William Langley; William was her betrothed before her disappearance.
William can’t believe his eyes, the love of his life, the woman he had mourned for years is alive and in his ship.
Even though Meg is reluctant to the idea, William brings her to London to reunite her with her sisters. Meg knows the pirate is looking for her and she doesn’t want to place her family in danger. But now that William has found her again he will do anything in his power to protect her and keep her in his life, even going against Meg’s wishes.


There were things I liked about this book and others that were too over the top and very hard to believe and to like. Let’s start with what I liked. I liked William, I have liked him since I met him in Confessions of an Improper Bride and in this installment he was great too. He was the perfect dedicated hero willing to do anything for the heroine. Some might say he was too perfect, but for me he was ok. My only complain about him is something we learned about him in Confessions of an Improper Bride, something that also plays an important part in this installment, I won’t say what it is not to be spoilerish, the only thing I can say is that the first time I read of what he did I thought (still think) he didn’t really love Meg. He explains his actions in this book but still there is not an explanation for what he did at that time.
Another thing I really liked about this book was the parallel story about Meg’s little sister, Jessica and William’s First Mate, David Briggs. Sadly I liked their story better than Meg and Will’s, so much I wished they were the hero and heroine in this book.  

My problem with Meg and Will’s story was Meg! OMG I wanted to slap her for more than half of the book. When you want to slap that much the heroine you know you have a problem. Meg was obtuse, stupid, and didn’t have a brain. People around her tried to help her and she rejected all the help, just to make mistake after mistake. After not seeing her sisters for years what does she do after they are reunited, she keeps her distance from them! Of course it was to “protect them” from the evil pirate!
Instead of telling Will, her sisters and husbands who was the pirate she just keeps quiet, again to “protect them”. OMFG! Really? Her sisters all have very influential husbands and with Will’s help they could have find the pirate and do something about him before all the clusterfuck she made… if only she would have opened her tight mouth! I wanted Will to leave her and find another woman, one with some sense in her. But he doesn’t leave her, they resolve their issues and live happily ever after…

Another thing I liked in Pleasures of a Tempted Lady was seeing where the other Donovan sisters’ lives were. Some years have passed since the first book, now they all have families of their own and are happier than ever. That and Jessica and David’s relationship were what I liked the most about this book.  

To understand all the backstory in this series I recommend you to read these books in order.

My Verdict: 3 Paws


Other books in the series
Secrets of an Accidental Duchess
Pleasures of a Tempted Lady

Other reviews Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. I got this from NG & I didn't know it was part of a series.

    I read the first chapter but I didn't find it engaging, maybe it's my mood. I might have to push this down the list if the heroine is truly annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..ok now I want to slap her too!!! Sheesh. I do get she wants to see them safe but come on! One pirate against her new family

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...