Contact Me

Friday, October 5, 2012

Review: The Angel by Tiffany Reisz



Title: The Angel
Author: Tiffany Reisz
Series: The Original Sinners, book 2
Genre: Erotica, BDSM
Publisher: Harlequin MIRA
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
"No safe word can protect the heart.
 Infamous erotica author and accomplished dominatrix Nora Sutherlin is doing something utterly out of character: hiding. While her longtime lover, Søren—whose fetishes, if exposed, would be his ruin—is under scrutiny pending a major promotion, Nora's lying low and away from temptation in the lap of luxury.
Her host, the wealthy and uninhibited Griffin Fiske, is thrilled to have Nora stay at his country estate, especially once he meets her traveling companion. Young, inexperienced and angelically beautiful, Michael has become Nora's protégé, and this summer with Griffin is going to be his training, where the hazing never ends. 
But while her flesh is willing, Nora's mind is wandering. To thoughts of Søren, her master, under investigation by a journalist with an ax to grind. And to another man from Nora's past, whose hold on her is less bruising, but whose secrets are no less painful. It's a summer that will prove the old adage: love hurts."
The Angel is the second installment in The Original Sinners series by Tiffany Reisz.

Let me start this review by saying that The Angel is not a stand-alone and should be read after reading first book of the series, The Siren.

The Angel starts one year after the events in The Siren. Søren and Eleanor/Nora have been together all this time, enjoying to the fullest of their relationship. A Bishop position opens up and Søren is one of the candidates, he doesn’t want the promotion because he doesn’t want to lose his privacy and therefore his relationship with Eleanor/Nora. To add to that a journalist has him on her sights after receiving an anonymous fax saying that she should investigate Søren because he has “conflict of interest”. To protect Eleanor/Nora Søren sends her to Griffin’s estate in the country, while he with Kingsley’s help deals with the situation at home. He asks her to take Michael with her and to use the time inducting him in how to be a submissive. He also gives her carte blanche with Griffin, they can do whatever they want, the only thing out of limits is that Griffin can’t hurt her, that privilege is only Søren’s.
Another of Søren’s stipulations is that Griffin can’t touch Michael and what Søren says it’s Law.


The Angel has a lighter tone compared to The Siren but still it will push your limits to the fullest. There were some scenes that made me squirm on my seat, one of those was on the beginning of the book between Eleanor/Nora and Søren, let’s just say that was a high limit for me, but the way Mrs. Reisz wrote it made it work and also made me understand the love and devotion Eleanor/Nora and Søren have for each other.

Eleanor/Nora is the same sassy, smartass and strong woman she was in The Siren. She is in love with Søren and is devoted to him, but even though she doesn’t say it she misses Wesley dearly, she fell in love with him and made him go no to hurt him, but after a year not knowing anything about him she still hasn’t been able to forget him and every little memory of him hurts her deeply.

I’m going to say something that after reading The Siren I never thought I will say: “I like Søren”, yes, I know, I shouldn’t like him but after seeing more of him and learning about his past there is nothing left for me but understand him, like him and even hurt a little bit for him.

We also learned about Eleanor/Nora’s past, her relationship with her mother and the beginning of her relationship with Søren. I know their relationship is not a “normal” relationship but is one that works for them and makes them happy.
In what we learned about Eleanor/Nora and Søren’s past we also learned about Søren and Kingsley’s past and that one is another one full of secrets and heartaches.

I had some issues with Michael in The Siren, not because of him personally but because of his age, I understood why Søren did what he did but still it was difficult to digest that he was underage when he had sex with Eleanor/Nora. In The Angel a year has passed and he is of legal age; many could think he is still too young to be induced in the “lifestyle” but in this case I understood that it was necessary for his own protection. At his young age he is broken and in need of love and acceptance, something he finds with Eleanor/Nora, Griffin and even with Søren.

And talking about Griffin, OMG I looooved him, he hides under a façade of irresponsibility, irreverence and indifference, he uses it as a hard shield for protection while inside he is the most caring, loving and thoughtful person you can imagine. But for him to peel his layers and show the real Griffin he needs love, love he finds thanks to Søren’s machinations.
The funniest lines in the book were between Griffin and his butler.

There are two sides to the end, one was a beautiful HEA while the other one was one in which Søren’s proves his love for Eleanor/Nora; that one broke my heart a little bit for Søren and left me eagerly waiting for the next book of the series The Prince, but when I say eagerly I mean I need to book now, like right this moment, sadly I have to wait for November 20th for its release.

Mrs. Reisz has done it again, she pushed my limits and made me go places I didn’t know exist. She made me experience the lives of others and played with my head more than once; she is truly a gifted writer. I recommend The Angel to anyone who wants to read with “an open mind” an extraordinary book with interesting and endearing characters, entangling plot and spotless and fluid writing. But remember this book should be read after reading The Siren, another amazing book I recommend.

Mrs. Reisz books should come with a caution: “Highly addictive and very stimulant. Proceed with care.”

My Verdict: 5 Paws


Other books in the series
The Angel
The Prince (November 20th, 2012)

Other reviews Goodreads


10 comments:

  1. I listening to Gabriele's Inferno, and I'm really liking it, otherwise I would had put it down as soon as soon as I saw the the Angel on audible, but I'll be listening to it this next, I can't wait!!!
    I didn't read your review, I'll come back as soon as I'm done, but I'm excited about the 5 paws YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard about it, is it good? Do you recommend it?

      Delete
  2. I lovvvvvved Griffin! I just well, love this series and can't wait to read The Prince!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was dead set on not liking Søren too but damn! The Pope is the pope for a reason! The blood play made me nervous and I'm glad it was still done with taste. I need The Prince NOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate blood, I squirmed so hard during that scene that DH took notice and asked me what I was reading. lol
      Yes, to The Prince now!! :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It is but you need to read The Siren first.

      Delete
  5. That book was just so gorgeous! I'm so glad you are warming up to Soren, Marcela! I do love his character. Also agree about Griffin and his butler - hilarious lines. We'll have to see what happens in The Prince now. Like you I can't wait... Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I never thought I would like Soren... and here I am. :)
      I need The Prince now!!

      Delete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...