Contact Me

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Review: Reflected in You by Sylvia Day



Title: Reflected in You
Author: Sylvia Day
Series: Crossfire, book 2
Genre: Contemporary Erotic Romance
Publisher: Penguin Group
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“Gideon Cross. As beautiful and flawless on the outside as he was damaged and tormented on the inside. He was a bright, scorching flame that singed me with the darkest of pleasures. I couldn't stay away. I didn't want to. He was my addiction... my every desire... mine.
My past was as violent as his, and I was just as broken. We’d never work. It was too hard, too painful... except when it was perfect. Those moments when the driving hunger and desperate love were the most exquisite insanity. We were bound by our need. And our passion would take us beyond our limits to the sweetest, sharpest edge of obsession...”
Reflected in You is the second book in the Crossfire trilogy by Sylvia Day.

After loving Bared to You and recommending it left and right I can honestly say I had big expectations for Reflected in You, expectations that sadly weren’t met.

My biggest complaint was that there was not character growth; Gideon and Eva are still the same broken characters from Bared to You with the same flaws, insecurities and secrets.
In this book I wanted to see the “why” they were together; what was that attracted them to each other so much that they can’t live apart for each other, but after two books there is still nothing there. There is just the physical attraction that has them together and nothing else; sex is the only link that unites them. If Gideon suffers an accident and he can “perform” anymore their relationship is over because they don’t have any shared interests or anything-in common apart from their abusive pasts.

When I see I couple fall in love I want to know why they love each other, I want to see and believe they have a future, with Gideon and Eva that is not the case. They fight, they have sex and fight again just to have sex again. That’s their whole relationship. To make things even more complicated they are full of secrets, especially Gideon and his only answer is trust me, really? (Spoiler ahead – Skip to next paragraph is you don’t want to read it) There was one scene in which Eva sees Corinne (Gideon’s ex) leaving the building in completely sex-up disarray and getting into Gideon car where his driver was waiting for her. Eva goes immediately to Gideon office to ask for answers, she finds his sofa all messed up and Gideon had just stepped out of the shower and is wearing new clothes, Eva finds the shirt he was wearing with lipstick and he says is nothing, he doesn’t give her any explanation, just tells her to trust him and she just do that, Really? Really!!?? Sorry but no, you don’t just take things like that with no explanation whatsoever; trust is important but it should be earned, not imposed.

The parts I enjoyed the most in Reflected in You were the parts when Gideon and Eva were apart from each other. We learned about something interesting relating Eva’s mother and father, something that left Eva with an important advice I wish for her to take in consideration: “Sometimes love is not enough”.
After two books I can really see a happy future for Eva and Gideon, I only see more secrets, more fights and more make up sex.

Mrs. Day's writing was what kept me reading; the hot scenes were steamy hot and the painful scenes hurt so much that was frustrating at times. When an author can make you experience such emotions you know she is a talented author.
Despite my dissatisfaction with Reflected in You I’m planning to read the third and last book in this series, Entwined with You. After reading Reflected in You I  really don’t know how Mrs. Day is going to provide us with a feasible happy ending for Gideon and Eva in just one book; that’s something I can’t wait to see.

Reflected in You is not a stand-alone; it should be read after Bared to You. If you are invested in this series Reflected in You is a book you need to read, just don’t go into it with high expectations.


My Verdict: 3 Paws


Other books in the series
Reflected in You
Entwined with You (December 31st, 2012)

Other reviews Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I knew this author so when I saw the cover I didn't even look at the synopsis I confess. Well I didn't even know it was a second novel but I'll try to check the first one. thanks!

    AAAAAAAh just saw what was the first book, I know the cover lol. Well I read the review when you posted it as well. Now I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that Nathan thing was explored more, I think Day was such a tease for Nathan's quick departure. Nonetheless, I can't wait for book 3, there's so much about Gideon that Day has yet to reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The review is totally justified one and I am really curious now to get my copy of Sylvia Day - Reflected In You very soon as it attracts me a lot....Great sharing.

    Marlene Detierro (SEO Austin)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...