Contact Me

Friday, January 4, 2013

Review: Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep


Title: Crimson Frost
Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Mythos Academy, book 4
Genre: YA
Publisher: Kensington
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
*Warning: This review may contain spoilers from previous books of the series*
“ ’For a moment, a face flashed before my eyes—the most hideous face I’d ever seen. No matter how hard I tried to forget what had happened, I saw him everywhere I went. It was Loki—the evil god that I’d helped set free against my will.’ 
I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a swordfight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming. 
I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself…”
Crimson Frost is the fourth book in the Mythos Academy series by Jennifer Estep.

After events in Dark Frost (third book) Gwen is coming to terms with the realization that Loki is free and that inadvertently she helped him escape. She not only feels guilty for her naiveté but also she doesn’t feel worthy of being Nike’s Champion. The only good thing in her life at the time is that Logan is by her side and finally has accepted he has feeling for her. Trying to take one day at a time Gwen is on her first date with Logan when she is arrested by The Protectorate. The head of The Protectorate and the leader in the investigation is Linus Quinn, who also is Logan’s father.
The Protectorate publicly accuses Gwen of freeing Loki and of being a Reaper and sets a date for her trial. While waiting for the trial Gwen is supposed to continue with life as normal as possible at school but with a guard (Alexei) shadowing her every move. But after being accused of being a Reaper life at the school becomes a nightmare, luckily her friends stand by her and help her made the situation bearable.
After learning who was the person that accused her to The Protectorate Gwen realizes that the Reapers must have something bigger planned and for that reason they want her out of the picture. What the Reapers don’t count with is the resilience Gwen has and her love for her friends.

Since Touch of Frost (first book) Gwen has come a long way, she has grown a lot, not only as a person but also as Nike’s Champion. Everyday she is learning more about herself and her powers and what she is capable of doing for her friends and her own survival. She still has things to learn but is on the right path.
I really liked that she doesn’t dwell on what ifs or on the drama that surrounds kids her age. I also liked that she knows her limitations and is willing to ask for help when she needs it.
In Crimson Frost Logan is as they say between a rock and a hard place, on one side he has Gwen and everything he feels for her and on the other he has his father and The Protectorate. Logan knows Gwen is innocent of the charges and also knows that in part his father has an animosity against Gwen because of their relationship. Still Logan stays next to Gwen supporting her every step of the way.
After finally accepting their feelings I was very happy to see Gwen and Logan together, but I guess Mrs. Estep likes to make us suffer for our short moments of happiness because they never last or come with so many complications that make them short-lived.

One of the great things about this series are the supporting characters. From Gwen best friend Daphne, to her boyfriend Carlson, to Professor Metis and even Nickamedes; of course we can’t leave out Gwen’s grandmother who has always been there for her to give her support in everything she needs, and who also kicked some ass in this installment.
 I loved how they have grown together and have formed a special group, almost like a family. They are there for each other without caring for the consequences, even if their actions cost them being ostracized from the other students.

The action starts in the first scene and doesn’t stop until the very end. Mrs. Estep takes us high just to let us drop, leaving us with heartache and anxiety for what is to come. The conflict with the Reapers and Loki couldn’t be more exciting and with results so unexpected that is difficult to see what it is to come in the future, the only certainty is that it won’t be good or easy for Gwen and her gang.

Book after book Mrs. Estep develops the world she created in her Mythos Academy series making it not only entertaining but also very interesting. She doesn’t stop with giving us the descendants of Spartans, Valkyries, Vikings, Romans, Gypsies, but in this installment she gave us others as Alexei, The Bogatyr, a character I really hope to see in future books

Crimson Frost may be my favorite book in the series and one I recommend you to read, but if you haven’t read previous books you need to start with Touch of Frost, “these books should be read in order”.

I’m really looking forward to July 30th to the release of the next book of the series, Midnight Frost; I’m dying to see what Mrs. Estep has in store for us.

My Verdict: 4 Stars

Other books in the series
Touch of Frost
Kiss of Frost
Dark Frost
Crimson Frost
Midnight Frost (July 30th )

Other reviews Goodreads

5 comments:

  1. I agree Gwen had evolved a lot since the first book. I was pleasantly sureprised by this book, can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm looking forward to next book.

      Delete
  2. I do want to, but I fear it will never happen in the end

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my fave of the series too. I like where Gwen is not too. Very nice review Marcela! :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...