Contact Me

Monday, January 7, 2013

Review: Touch of the Demon by Diana Rowland



Title: Touch of the Demon
Author: Diana Rowland
Series: Kara Gillian, book 5
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: DAW
Format: E-book
“Kara Gillian is in Seriously Deep Trouble.

She's used to summoning supernatural creatures from the demon realm to our world, but now she's the one who's been summoned. Kara is the prisoner of the demonic Lord Mzatal, but quickly discovers that she's far more than a mere hostage. He has his own plans to use Kara and keep her from Rhyzkahl-the demonic lord she is sworn to serve. However, waiting for rescue has never been Kara's style, and she has no intention of being a pawn in someone else's game.

Yet intrigue and treachery run rampant amongst all lords, and Kara is hard pressed to keep her wits about her. Her abilities as a homicide detective are put at the test as she seeks the truth about FBI Agent Ryan Kristoff, Rhyzkahl, and herself. But, the answers she finds only raise more questions. She soon discovers that she has her own history in the demon realm-one that goes back farther than she could have ever imagined. But that history may yet spell her doom as she’s faced with a peril beyond mortal comprehension.

She’s going to need all the strength and tenacity she’s developed as a cop and a summoner, or the hell she endures may well last forever.”
Touch of the Demon is the fifth installment in the Kara Gillian series by Diana Rowland.

I don’t want to give too much away with this review, I think the above blurb tells perfectly what this book is about.

After the mother of cliffhanger in which Sins of the Demon (book fourth) ended saying that I was eagerly awaiting the release of this book it’s the understatement of the year; I’m glad to tell you that Touch of the Demon was everything I was expecting it to be and more, a lot more, so much more that I can say this was a OMG-OMG-OMG-WTF is going on book, in a very good and enjoyable way.

Diana Rowland gave us so many twists and turns in this installment that nothing was certain, what it was to come page after page was a surprise or should I said surprises that left me speechless and awed in wonder. I don’t want to say much because as I said before I don’t want to give too much away, let’s just say that characters I thought I could trust and liked showed a very different face in Touch of the Demon, their behaviors were completely unexpected with many OMG moments that kept me on the edge of my chair.

In Touch of the Demon we see in more detail the Demon World and some of its different realms; we also meet other demon Lords like Mzatal, who plays a very important part in the story. On the beginning is very difficult to know what are Mzatal’s real intentions and judging for his first actions it was difficult to trust him, but page after page he proves us his worth and by the end it was impossible not to like him.

Kara goes through a lot in this installment, she is in a world she doesn’t know, surrounded by strangers and learning things that should be impossible. If that wasn’t enough her emotions and courage are constantly tested. People she thought she could trust betrayed her in the worst fashion, but as always she didn’t give up, Kara is a fighter to her core; she faced her setbacks and overcame her adversities making the best of her new situation.

The world Mrs. Rowland created in Touch of the Demon is complex, vivid and realistic, so much that days after reading the book I only need to close my eyes to remember in detail the different realms of the Demon World, with all its different characteristics that made them unique.

We learned many things about Ryan and Rhyzkahi, some loose ends are tied regarding them but still there is a lot more to come and to learn.

The plot is inventive and well paced in the best style of Mrs. Rowland. The end is not a cliffhanger-cliffhanger but one that left me with the certainty that whatever is coming it won’t be easy for Kara. That end also left me dying to get my hands on the next book, Fury of the Demon. Sadly it still doesn’t have a release date, I hope and pray it’ll be soon. I need my dose of Kara and the fantastic world Diana Rowland created in this series.

I recommend this book and this series to all Urban Fantasy lovers, I also recommend you to read this books in order. Trust me, Diana Rowland is a must for all urban fantasy fans.

My Verdict: 5 Paws

Other books in the series
Secrets of the Demon
Sins of the Demon
Touch of the Demon 
Fury of the Demon (TBA)

Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. Oh now it will ve my next read, thank you Marcela, I really can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be on my TBR list. Sounds like my kind of story. Thank you shihtzushappens@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have to read book 1 it seems :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this series around, I love her zombie series. Maybe it's time to add this to my tbr and hope I can move it to my tbl..LOL
    More and more I finding it so hard to read, I've listened to 13 audibooks so far this year, I've read 0 books :(. Maybe when I get over my pinterst addiction I'll be able to read more.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...