Contact Me

Friday, March 22, 2013

Early Review: Deadly Sting by Jennifer Estep



Title: Deadly Sting
Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Elemental Assassin, book 8
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Pocket Books (March 26th)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
*Warning: This review contains spoilers from previous books*
“Red is definitely my color. Good thing, because in my line of work, I end up wearing it a lot. 
Most people shy away from blood, but for an assassin like me — Gin Blanco, aka the Spider — it’s just part of the job. Still, it would be nice to get a night off, especially when I’m attending the biggest gala event of the summer at Briartop, Ashland’s fanciest art museum. But it’s just not meant to be. For this exhibition of my late nemesis’ priceless possessions is not only the place to be seen, but the place to be robbed and taken hostage at gunpoint as well. No sooner did I get my champagne than a bunch of the unluckiest thieves ever burst into the museum and started looting the place. 
Unlucky why? Because I brought along a couple of knives in addition to my killer dress. Add these to my Ice and Stone magic, and nothing makes me happier than showing the bad guys why red really is my color.”
Deadly Sting is the eighth installment in the Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep.

Deadly Sting starts a month after the events in Widow’s Web. Gin is patiently waiting for moron (I never thought I would said that) Owen to come to his senses and trying to live her life with a broken heart. Gin shows a normal fa├žade but inside she is hurting and badly. Trying to cheer her up, Finn invites her to the opening gala for the exhibit of the Jewels and art collection of the deceased Mab Monroe.
Society events are not Gin’s thing, but she’s willing to go just to appease Finn, and why not, maybe have a little fun. What Gin wasn’t expecting was to encounter (moron) Owen with a date; to make the night more unbearable they are being held at gunpoint while the museum is being robbed by some giants with a hidden agenda. Now is up to Gin to discover the real reason of the robbery while saving the night and her friends.

I have mixed feelings about Deadly Sting; there were many things that I liked and some others not so much. Let’s start with what I liked. Deadly Sting is another action packed installment that kept me glued to the pages wanting to know more. As with previous books in the series Gin has to go the extra mile to survive and save those she loves. I really liked that even though Gin is hurting she fights on and continues with her life. I also liked that she is not infallible and knows has limits; she’s very recursive and doesn’t trust only her magic to get her out of the problems.

I also liked her flashbacks to the time when Fletcher trained her; it was nice to see the girl she was and the woman she has become.

Finn is the same awesome brother that loves women and knows more about fashion than Anna Wintour. He’s loyal, funny and head over heels in love with Gin’s sister Bria. Talking about Bria, she has come a long way into accepting Gin and what she does. I really liked this new more understanding version of Bria. I also loved how she handles Finn; they are perfect together.

Now, talking about “perfect together” I come to my problem with this book. Since the moment we met Owen in Web of Lies (second book) I felt in love with him and book after book I loved him more and more. I loved how he accepted Gin for what she is and what she does, I loved that he never judged her and didn’t begrudge her for her actions. He understood what she had to do and the way she lives, I thought he was perfect for Gin… until Widow’s Web came along; still, I thought he just needed some time to realize his big mistake and was hoping to see him crawling back to Gin in this installment; sadly what I saw was him with another woman on a date and still the same stupid mad with the same prejudices he had in Widow’s Web. Unfortunately Moron Owen (that’s his new name) pulled a Donovan on Gin, again, in Deadly Sting. After being Team Owen for so long I came to a point when I don’t want him in Gin’s life. She deserves a better man, somebody who will be with her always not only when is convenient, she deserves somebody that accepts her as Moron Owen did on the beginning. She needs a constant person in her life and that one is not Moron Owen. If only Phillip wasn’t in love with Eva…

I can’t wait and see what Mrs. Estep has in store for Gin; I just hope she gives a little break to Gin’s heart. I also want to know more about certain character that was mention in this installment, a character I’m sure will play a big part in books to come.
I’m dying to get my hands of next installment, Heart of Venom. August 27th can’t come soon enough.


My Verdict: 4 Paws

Other books in the series
Spider’s Bite
Web of Lies
Venom
Tangled Threads
By A Thread
Deadly Sting (March 26th)
Heart of Venom (August 27th)

Other reviews Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. Not for me, but I am glad you still love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored this book and felt it was perfect... until the end. I am not ready to give up on Owen or call him a moron, but by the end I grew to hate the words " I don't know." I'm giving him one more chance... :-)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...