Contact Me

Friday, March 1, 2013

Review: Reaper’s Property by Joanna Wylde



Title: Reaper’s Property
Author: Joanna Wylde
Series: Reapers MC, book 1
Genre: Erotic Romance
Publisher: Ellora's Cave 
Format: E-book
“Marie doesn’t need a complication like Horse. The massive, tattooed, badass biker who shows up at her brother’s house one afternoon doesn’t agree. He wants Marie on his bike and in his bed. Now. 
But Marie just left her abusive jerk of an ex-husband and she’s not looking for a new man. Especially one like Horse—she doesn’t know his real name or where he lives, she’s ninety percent certain he’s a criminal and that the “business” he talks with her brother isn’t website design. She needs him out of her life, which would be a snap if he’d just stop giving her mind-blowing orgasms. 
Horse is part of the Reapers Motorcycle Club, and when he wants something, he takes it. What he wants is Marie, but she’s not interested in becoming “property of”. 
Then her brother steals from the club. Marie can save him by giving Horse what he wants—at home, in public, on his bike… If she’s a very, very good girl, she’ll get lots more of those orgasms only he can offer, and he’ll let her brother live. 
Maybe.”
Reaper’s Property is the first book in the new series Reapers MC by Joanna Wylde.

The blurb explains clearly what this book is about, I will only add that this book introduced me to the Motorcycle Clubs’ lifestyle, something I didn’t know anything about. If I’m honest Reaper’s Property was a bit out of my comfort zone, not because of its explicit topics but by the MC life in general, especially in regards to the women’s place in their club. Talking about the women in their society, they have some special categorization for them, some of the categories, if I can call them that are: the “old ladies”, they are like their girlfriends/wives, another one is the “sweet butts”, they are the play toys the members of the club can use and discard at their leisure. The sweet butts are not force to serve them, they are there because they want to be, but even knowing they are there of their free will it was a bit hard to read the scenes in which the sweet butts were “in use”.

Marie had a tough life; she had a white trash upbringing and married young to her high school sweetheart who was an abusive bastard.  Now she’s separated and trying to make a life for herself. My problem with her was that she was a little bit naïve and confusing at times, she did things I didn’t understand and believed things that were very doubtful; she also made many assumptions about wrongful things when she just needed to ask to learn the truth behind it. I know I’m a bit vague about this but I’m trying not to give any spoilers away. Marie wasn’t all that bad; I really like that she loved her brother, I also liked that even though her family was very dysfunctional it was very important to her.  

Reaper’s Property is written in Marie and Horse POV, this helped me connect with Horse and like him, something that without his point of view I don’t think it could had been possible because the guy behaves like a jerk, ok, he is a jerk, but being inside his mind helped me see there is more to him than the tough alpha macho guy exterior he shows to the public, specially when is in regards to Marie, with her he is sweet as a kitten… with claws.

Reaper’s Property is not your usual romance story, it’s sexist, harsh, dirty, raw and real. It does not only show you the nice parts of the MC Lifestyle but also the hard truths like illegal dealings, murders and as I mention before the way they treat women.
Mrs. Wylde writing is flawless and fluid; she also made a great job balancing hard topics with humor making of Reaper’s Property a delightful read. Even though Reaper’s Property pushed many of my buttons it also gave me hours of enjoyment.

Reaper’s Property was my first book by Joanna Wylde but I can guarantee you it won’t be my last, I’m not only planning to check some of her previous books but I’m also eagerly looking forward to the release of next book in this series.

My Verdict: 4 Paws

Other reviews Goodreads


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, this is Joanna Wylde, the author. Thanks so much for your review. Having your writing described as "flawless and fluid" pretty much kicks ass ;)

    I hope you enjoy my other books if you choose to read them, but please be aware that they were written ten years ago and are completely different from Reaper's Property in both subject and writing style. Just a heads up.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the heads up and thanks a million for your comment, I really appreciate it.

      Delete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...