Contact Me

Friday, April 26, 2013

Guest Review: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Today I'm very happy to welcome Melliane from Between Dreams & Reality to my blog. 
Melliane is not only super sweet and one of my favorite bloggers, but she also has a great English/French blog, and today she is reviewing for us Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. 
To read the French version of this review visit Melliane's blog by clicking here


Title: Catching Fire
Author: Suzanne Collins
Series: Hunger Games, book 2
Genre: YA, Dystopian
Publisher: Scholastic Press
"Sparks are igniting, flames are spreading and the Capitol wants revenge.
Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.  
Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying."
I confess that I haven’t read the first volume of this series, but since I saw the movie I kept telling myself that I needed to try the second novel to discover the rest of the story of our dear Katniss. Of course, I heard so many wonderful things about these books and I was curious but I was a bit disappointed with the film adaptation. In fact, I really expected to be blown away by the movie, and although I liked it was not something wonderful for me. This is perhaps the reason why it took me so long to read this second volume. Well, when a friend lent me the book after telling me how good it was while he doesn’t like reading, I didn’t hesitate and got into it too. Yes! I finally did it!

I was looking forward to see what would happen after the end of the games and I must say I was not disappointed. I'm really glad to have had the chance to read this novel because I was really immersed in the story. Then it was still nice to be able to imagine the characters with the ones of the movie. Katniss is back at home and hopes to return to a normal life now that her hell is over. But this is without considering the consequences of their victory and the constant gaze of the people who follow their actions. Because of course, since her arrival, her encounters with Peeta become really rare and she enjoys spending more and more time with her friend: Gale. Our young heroine thinks she’ll be able to live the life she wants with her own choices, but the revolt is more and more present in other districts... A fact that could change everything. She needs to calm the districts down after the threat from the President to the people she loves, but her words keep coming and are only fueling the rage of the people. When she speaks, she is so innocent but there is more and all that resonates in the heart of the districts.

It was quite sad to follow Katniss in this novel, she evolves while realizing that her dreams of youth and future will never exist and the Capitol will force her in her actions and choices. Everyone expects to see her in love with Peeta, and she must play her role to the letter, otherwise there will be strong retaliation. We then discover the fragility of our heroine, she does not know what to do, she does not know what her heart wants, but she won’t be forced to do something she doesn’t want to. Of course Gale is also here and her heart balances terribly between the two men in her life. Both are different and it is true that it’s difficult to know who the best is for her, even if for me Peeta should have his chances. I think we need to have the opportunity to really explore Gale to be able to know effectively. Despite her refusal to engage herself with anyone, we discover gradually Katniss's feelings for her ex-partner and I must say it was really touching. Indeed, Peeta only loves her and he wants to do everything to save her and help her. Whatever the costs. It’s a very difficult choice which ultimately becomes increasingly important and I'm curious to see the day when she will really decide what she wants to do.

I loved to learn more about them. These two characters hide many things and it’s fun to follow and understand them throughout the story. I confess that I had a little trouble at first to really get into the story because I do not really see where the author was going but after a few chapters, I completely fell in love with the story. Some important events start here and we find many different characters, all more intriguing than the others. The plot is exciting and I look forward to seeing further adventures of our heroes, especially in light of the end of the novel. I didn’t expect to say that, but I'll go and see the second movie when it will be out in order to discover the new adaptation of the story. I'm sure I'll have a good time."

Melliane's Verdict: 5 Paws

Other books in the series
Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay

Other reviews Goodreads

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the post darling, I was really happy to be part of your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the books, but haven't read them. I recently saw that first movie too. Oh and now I really want to read these books. I wonder if reading that first book would have influenced you to even more quickly love this one? Still, you loved it and I know that I will enjoy them so much! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the books a while ago and enjoyed reading them, I'm sure you will enjoy reading them too.

      Delete
  3. This one was ok, not as awesome as book 1, too repetetive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe it was easier for me to not have read book 1. And well I expected to dislike it so it was a good surprise.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Blodeudd - 'Catching Fire' is the least interesting of the three. Personally, I like 'Mockingjay' the best, although that's not a very popular opinion. I think Suzanne Collins shows us something very brave and honest in the ending of her trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review Melliane. I did buy the books for my stepdaughter, and have no intention of all to read them myself. They just don't appeal to me, and I am too often disappointed by hyped up books like those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one was good, real good. But I too loved the first one much more. But this sets the stage for book three. Poor Katniss... so much stress on her with these games.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...