Contact Me

Monday, April 15, 2013

Review: Own the Wind by Kristen Ashley



Title: Own the Wind
Author: Kristen Ashley
Series: Chaos, book 1
Genre: Contemporary Romance, MC Club
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
Too hot to handle...

Tabitha Allen grew up in the thick of Chaos--the Chaos Motorcycle Club, that is. Her father is Chaos' leader, and the club has always had her back. But one rider was different from the start. When Tabby was running wild, Shy Cage was there. When tragedy tore her life apart, he helped her piece it back together. And now, Tabby's thinking about much more than friendship...

Tabby is everything Shy's ever wanted, but everything he thinks he can't have. She's beautiful, smart, and as his friend's daughter, untouchable. Shy never expected more than friendship, so when Tabby indicates she wants more--much more--he feels like the luckiest man alive. But even lucky men can crash and burn...”
Own the Wind is the first book in the Chaos series by Kristen Ashley.

For a long time I’ve been hearing great things about Kristen Ashley’s books. I have Motorcycle Man in my TBR but haven’t had the time to read it. When I saw Own the Wind was available on Netgalley I didn’t think twice, this was my chance to finally read one of Mrs. Ashley’s books, sadly it didn’t live up to my expectations; I’m not saying Own The Wind was a bad book, only that it wasn’t as good as I was expecting it to be.

The book starts with a forty plus pages prologue that jumps in time within the span of three years; during that time we only see Shy’s point of view. Something happened during those years between Shy and Tabby, something that made her change her life drastically but we only see it from Shy’s POV. I think it would have been better if we had known what was going through Tabby’s head during those days to understand her behavior/change better.

Tabby is making a life for herself, far from the MC Club where she grew up. Tragedy strikes her and she needs to pick up the pieces of her life. Shy’s comes back to the picture, he becomes her friend and confidant and they are all the time together. The only problem with this new development is that Tabby was the only one completely honest and open. It looks as if they are moving towards a relationship, but what Tabby doesn’t know is that Shy has a serious girlfriend (Rosalie) on the side. When Tabby learns about it and confronts Shy he bitches to her and tells her she needs to accept it and be ok with it. The last thing Tabby wants is to see the man she has feelings for with another woman. Tabby decides to start a new life in a different place and what does Neanderthal Shy’s do? He tells her she can’t go, dumps his girlfriend and jumps from Rosalie’s bed to Tabby’s, really? I had two big problems here, first was the lack of respect Shy had towards Rosalie, he treated her as a disposable woman when they were supposed to be in a “serious and stable” relationship, that didn’t speak highly of him. The second problem I had was that when Tabby jumped to bed with Shy she still didn’t know he had broken up with Rosalie, she asked him about it afterwards, a bit too late for my taste.

Another problem I had with Own the Wind was the lack of characterization. We don’t know anything about the characters, what music they like, their hobbies; we don’t see them on their own living their lives, sharing with friends and such. Shy’s life with his MC brothers is supposed to be important, I didn’t feel it nor did I see it. I’m grateful that Shy’s brother, Landon, was part of the story, I really liked him and if I’m honest there were parts in which I liked Landon more than Shy.
Tabby has only one friend, Natalie; sadly Natalie felt plain and more like a filler than an important part in the story. It was almost as if Mrs. Ashley needed to add some drama to the story so she gave us Natalie, a one-dimensional character that brought chaos to their lives.

Did I like and believe in Tabby and Shy’s love? I’m not sure; there were times that it was clear, others not so much. They were good together; their attraction felt real I can’t deny that. The smexy times were ok, but nothing different or of the charts.

Own the Wind’s plot felt weak and slow, the sub-plots are almost non-existent, and there was no enough mystery, drama or action to kept me glued to the pages and wanting for more. The seeds for next book were planted in this one, it’s supposed to be Hop and Lanie’s story, but if I’m honest I don’t think I’m going to read it. The only book I see myself reading in this series is Landon’s book, but I’m not sure he will have one because he’s not part of the MC Club.

My Verdict: 3 Paws

Other books in the series
Own the Wind
Fire Inside (June 4th)

Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. Gosh! this sounds a lot like Madeleine Sheehan's Undeniable. You should read that instead, it's a lot better than this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty new to MC Club books, this was my second one; first one I liked a lot (Reaper's Property by Joanna Wylde), that one I recommend you to read.
      Thank you for recommending Undeniable, I'll check it out.

      Delete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...