Contact Me

Friday, April 19, 2013

Review: Vampire Miami by Phil Tucker



Title: Vampire Miami   
Author: Phil Tucker
Series: The Human Revolt, book 1
Genre: YA, Urban Fantasy
Publisher: TransientMe LLC
Source: Review copy from author
Format: E-book
“Five years ago, the war ended and Miami was given to the vampires. Five years ago, the US turned its back on those trapped behind the Wall – and life in the vampire kingdom has degenerated into a grisly struggle for survival.  
When naive and impulsive Selah Brown leaves Brooklyn to search for her father in the dead heart of the vampire city, she discovers that nothing is as it was explained to the American public—and her search is subverted into a quest to expose the truth before the horrors of the city can claim her. 
Yet what hidden talent could one young woman possess that would allow her to stand a chance?” 
Vampire Miami is the first book in The Human Revolt series by Phil Tucker.

The first thing that caught my attention about Vampire Miami was the title; I lived in Miami for almost ten years so I’m pretty familiar with the city; knowing the setting picked up my curiosity, then I read the book blurb and I was sold, it left me wanting to read this book badly.

Vampire Miami starts with the transportation of Selah Brown from the US to the vampire city of Miami.
A bit over five years ago the vampires came out of the coffin and became a public problem; their going public started a horrific war that ended after the cities or Miami and Los Angeles were given to the vampires. Now these cities have a heavily guarded wall that protects the US from their bloodsucking neighbors. Nobody can go from the vampire city to the US and the only way to get in the vampire cities is through deportation.
Selah’s father disappeared couple of months ago, he was investigating a new and very powerful drug that is selling on the streets of US. During his investigation he discovered that the vampires were somehow involved with this drug. When he was getting close to expose the culprits he mysteriously disappeared. The only thing he left behind for Selah to find was his omni (a futuristic portable computer with 3D effects), which contains encrypted files about his investigation.
Selah is a minor, the government wants to place her with a family, but to everybody’s surprise she requested to be deported to Miami where her grandmother still lives. Selah wanted to go to Miami to investigate the disappearance of her father, leaving the only life she has known for seventeen years behind wasn’t easy, but she has a plan and is willing to go the extra step to solve the mystery behind his father’s disappearance. What Selah wasn’t expecting was to find a city that is ten times worse than what the TV programs in US shows. If she wants to survive she needs to reevaluate everything she knows and follow the very strict set of rules the residents on Miami have set in place to survive, rules that hinder her plans. If adapting to a new dangerous city wasn’t enough she also needs to learn to live with her grandmother, a woman that is an institution and a leader among the residents of the city.
Selah won’t stop at anything, even if she has to risk her life; she came to Miami with an objective in mind and she will do everything in her power to get to the end of it, even finding allies in the most unexpected places.

On the beginning I was a bit afraid for Selah, I knew things weren’t going to be easy for her and OMG I was right. Selah is young and with an idealist purpose in life, finding what happened to her father. She is at a difficult age, she feels she can accomplish whatever she wants, but life is not as easy as that, especially not in a vampire city like Miami.
Selah felt very real, her behavior and reactions to the different situations she experienced felt realistic and believable for a character of her age. I connected with her from the very beginning; page after page I cheered for her and sometimes I even hurt for her. Despite being young and inexperienced in life Selah is smart, strong and a fighter at heart, all this made of her a very easy to like character.

I really liked Cloud; he is smart, sexy and perfect for Selah, together they made a great team. My only complaint about Vampire Miami is regarding their relationship; they meet and next they are in love, I would have liked to see more of a relationship development than the almost insta-love they succumbed to.

The secondary characters made of this book an even better one. Selah’s grandmother, Mama B. is a very complex character, my first impressions of her were of a cold and hard woman, slowly I realized my mistake, Mama B. is a woman that cares deeply for others, without a care for her own welfare she has sacrificed a lot in her life to help those in need. At the end of the book I didn’t like her I loved her.

Theo in another very interesting character, saying much about him will be spoilerish, let’s just say that my heart ached for him and I hope he gets the HEA he deserves in future books.

Vampire Miami is a very especial book, one that surprised me from beginning to end, with so many twists and turns that keep me on the edge of my seat guessing about what was to come next.
The great characterization and vivid descriptions only made of Vampire Miami a more enjoyable read.
As I previously said, I’m familiar with the setting and with his fluid prose Mr. Tucker not only made me travel to known streets but also made me see them in a new a completely different way, a way that chilled me to the bone.

With its well-tied and clever plot and a very creative and unique world Vampire Miami it’s a book I recommend you to read. I guarantee you it will keep you glued to its pages from beginning to end, I’m sure of this because it happened to me. Since the first paragraph Mr. Tucker’s words tied me up to the pages and didn’t let me go until I reached the very end.

Vampire Miami is not an easy or walk in the sun read, it’s gritty, grim and dark, but it’s so good that I can’t help it, but want more! Luckily for me next book in the series, Vampire L.A., was released on February. I already bought it and I’m planning to read it soon.

I have good news for you; right now Vampire Miami is free on Amazon, to “buy” it click here.

My Verdict: 4 ½ Paws

Other books in the series
Vampire Miami
Vampire L.A.

Other reviews Goodreads


7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Not only free but also good, so it's a win, win situation. :)

      Delete
  2. I am not a big fan of this genre, but after reading your review I went ahead and got the book.
    I am really looking forward to read it, being a fellow former miami resident.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Miami and I had to come and check this out...LOL... I'm immediately adding this to my TBR.
    I can't wait! You have me excited :)
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said to Dare to Be, I hope you like it as much as I did. ;)

      Delete
  4. Hmm...absolutely not a book I would be able to get into but Jason... I think you're right. He may like this one :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...