Contact Me

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

DNF Review: Bare it All by Lori Foster



Title: Bare it All
Author: Lori Foster
Series: Love Undercover, book 2
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Publisher: Harlequin HQN
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“As the person responsible for taking down a brutal human trafficker, Alice Appleton fears retaliation at every turn. No one knows about her past, which is exactly how she prefers it...until the sexy cop next door comes knocking. 
Detective Reese Bareden thinks he knows what makes women tick, but his ever-elusive neighbor keeps him guessing like no other. Is his goal to unmask Alice's secrets? Or protect her from a dangerous new threat? One thing is certain: their chemistry is a time bomb waiting to explode. And with no one to trust but each other, Reese and Alice are soon drawn into a deadly maze of corruption, intrigue and desire-and into the line of fire....” 
Bare it All is the second book in the Love Undercover series by Lori Foster.

If you know me or you have follow my reviews you will know that I don’t like to DNF a book and that I always try to finish a book even though I have had problems with it. So for me to get to the point of saying “enough” is because I tried and tried and tried until it was just too much and just couldn’t finish the book, that’s exactly what happened with Bare it All.

I met the hero (Detective Reese Bareden) and heroine (Alice Appleton) of Bare it All in Run the Risk (first book in the series). I really liked Reese then and wanted to see more about him. From Alice I just got some glimpses and didn’t know what to think about her, but her backstory intrigued me and wanted to learn more about her, for that reason I didn’t think twice about picking up this book.

Bare it All starts right after the events in Run the Risk. I didn’t have a problem with that, actually, I was glad to see the aftermath of what happened in Run the Risk. My biggest problem with Bare it All was Alice. Alice is a needy, damaged and a very insecure heroine. Alice’s past was not an easy one, she was abducted by human traffickers and lived in captivity for a year until somebody helped her escape. Some years have passed but still she is afraid for her life, for that reason she tries to live a quiet and safe life.

I had many problems with Alice, but what made me bonkers were her many insecurities and her ambivalent behavior. She says one thing and then behaves completely different from what she says. The way she thought and the way she behaved didn’t have anything in common, it was almost as if she had multiple personalities, this made it impossible for me to connect with her.

As I said before I liked Reese, but despite liking him I just couldn’t get into the story or care about him, all thanks to Alice.
Bare it All is not a short book, it’s over 400 pages long; I can read a book of this length in a day, but after over a week I was barely over the 200-page mark. I took a break and days later went back to it to see if maybe “it was me and not the book” but sadly nothing had changed, after that, on page 243 I decided to DNF it.

I’m not saying Bare it All was a bad book, I’m only saying it wasn’t for me. Others have liked it, maybe you could be one of them.

My Verdict: DNF

Other books in the series
Bare it All
Getting Rowdy (September 24th)
Dash (TBA)

Other reviews Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. Oh no :/ I do want to try a Foster book but yes maybe not this one

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...