Contact Me

Monday, May 13, 2013

Review: Generation V by M.L. Brennan



Title: Generation V
Author: M.L. Brennan
Series: American Vampire, book 1
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: ROC
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“Reality Bites 
Fortitude Scott’s life is a mess. A degree in film theory has left him with zero marketable skills, his job revolves around pouring coffee, his roommate hasn’t paid rent in four months, and he’s also a vampire. Well, sort of. He’s still mostly human. 
But when a new vampire comes into his family’s territory and young girls start going missing, Fort can’t ignore his heritage anymore. His mother and his older, stronger siblings think he’s crazy for wanting to get involved. So it’s up to Fort to take action, with the assistance of Suzume Hollis, a dangerous and sexy shape-shifter. Fort is determined to find a way to outsmart the deadly vamp, even if he isn’t quite sure how. 
But without having matured into full vampirehood and with Suzume ready to split if things get too risky, Fort’s rescue mission might just kill him."
Generation V is the first book in the new American Vampire series by M.L. Brennan.

I have to be honest if I would have only read the blurb of Generation V most probably I would had passed it. Luckily for me Julie from Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks read it before release date and told me she loved it and insisted I have to read it. I added it to my TBR and was planning to read it sometime later on. Then, I read Julie’s review and it really piqued my curiosity, but what really made me read the book was Julie’s interview to M.L. Brennan. I loved Julie’s questions and M.L.’s answers, so much that I couldn’t wait to read Generation V. Now I can tell you that Julie was right Generation V is a great book, one I also recommend you to read. Ok, I’m kind of getting ahead of myself, let me start from the beginning.

Fortitude “Fort” Scott is not your typical university graduated, he’s also the son of a very powerful vampire, this means Fort will become a vampire in couple of years or even months when he finish his transformation. The only problem with this is that Fort loves to be human too much and doesn’t want to become a heartless being like his siblings, especially like his heartless sister Prudence.

Fort tries to keep his distance from his family as much as possible but sometimes he can’t just say no to them. When his mother calls him home to introduce him to a vampire from the old world that will be visiting their territory Fort accepts without ado, his curiosity to see a different vampire from those of his family surpass his apathy towards his family. What Fort wasn’t expecting was to meet a being worse than his sister Prudence. This new vampire, Luca, is not only ruthless but he also preys on children. Fort can’t stand and do nothing, his brother Chivalry would like to help him, not because he cares for the children but because he cares for Fort, but their mother prohibited Chivalry to intervene with Luca.

Fort’s mother, Madeleine, hires a kitsune shifter name Suzune to be Fort’s bodyguard. Suzune not only shift into a fox, but also has fox-like personality. Suzune is funny, selfish, smart and a trickster. It’s difficult for Fort (and for us) to know is she’s going to be there for him when he really needs her or if she’s just going to bail on him when things get complicated. This made the story not only unpredictable but also more entertaining.

Going back to Fort’s siblings, Prudence is super creepy and if that wasn’t enough she also has a hidden agenda. Something happened in the past that ended Fort and Prudence’s relationship, something that would have sent the toughest one to the loony bin, but in Fort case in only made him stick to his humanity even more.
His brother Chivalry is almost an enigma; on the beginning I kind of hated him but then I learned more about him and realized that behind his cold exterior he cares deeply for Fort and wants to protect him. There are also some interesting facts about him and his love life, something you should read to discover by yourself. We don’t know much about Fort’s mother, Madeleine, but the little we see of her we can see she is strong, smart and in her own vampire way she cares for her children.

Luca is a creepy as hell villain, so much that since the moment I met him I wished him a slow and very painful death. Luca also shows Fort that his family is not that bad, they could be a lot worse.

Even though it sounds almost impossible Generation V’s take on vampire lore is new and unique. Your vampires here are somehow different from the (vampire) rule. How is that possible? They are still creepy as hell but in American Vampire series vampires can have babies through a very complicated method, it has a low success rate, but still they can procreate. Despite having a long life span Mrs. Brennan’s vampires grow old and die. Those are just some of the differences from your usual vampires to these new ones Mrs. Brennan created in American Vampire series. All this plus the multidimensional characters and the engaging plot made of Generation V a very entertaining read, one I recommend you all to read.

I’m really looking forward to next book in the series and to anything else written by M.L. Brennan.

My Verdict: 4 ½ Stars

Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. I'm so so so curious about this book with your review and Julie's! I need to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Julie's review too and got curious :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...