Contact Me

Monday, July 15, 2013

Early Review: The Mistress by Tiffany Reisz


Title: The Mistress
Author: Tiffany Reisz
Series: The Original Sinners, book 4
Genre: Erotica, BDSM
Publisher: MIRA – July 30th
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“There's punishment-and then there's vengeance.

Nora Sutherlin is being held, bound and naked. Under different circumstances, she would enjoy the situation immensely, but her captor isn't interested in play. Or pity.

As the reality of her impending peril unfolds, Nora becomes Scheherazade, buying each hour of her life with stories-sensual tales of Søren, Kingsley and Wesley, each of whom has tempted and tested and tortured her in his own way. This, Nora realizes, is her life: nothing so simple, so vanilla, as a mere love triangle for her. It's a knot in a silken cord, a tangled mass of longings of the body and the heart and the mind. And it may unravel at any moment.

But in Nora's world, no one is ever truly powerless-a cadre of her friends, protectors and lovers stands ready to do anything to save her, even when the only certainty seems to be sacrifice and heartbreak.”
The Mistress is the fourth book in The Original Sinners series by Tiffany Reisz.

This has been one of the hardest reviews to write because after reading previous books in this series I had very high expectations about The Mistress and wanted to love this book as I had loved previous books, but even though there were many things I like about this book there were others that didn’t sit well with me. I also tried to write this review without giving spoilers away but I couldn’t, so please be warned that this review contains spoilers. If you don’t want to read spoilers stop right here.

The Mistress starts just after the events in The Prince (third book). Nora has been kidnaped by Kinsley’s sister, Marie-Laure, whom everybody thought was dead. Now Kingsley, Søren and Wesley are working together to try to get Nora back.
I really liked the interaction between these three; one of the things I like the most was that Wesley got to really see who they are and in a way he got the opportunity to understand and accept them better.

Nora is being held by psycho Marie-Laure, but she’s a smart woman and is using her gift with words to gain time. She knows Kingsley and Søren will come for her she just needs to be patient. The problem I had here was that the stories told by Nora were stories we already knew, it was almost as a recount from previous books. Unfortunately this made the book feel a little bit repetitive.

Now we are coming to my two biggest problems with this book. The first one was Wesley. Even though I knew Wesley was not the man for Nora I have loved him and expected more from him. In this book he’s a little bit like a lost puppy, he wants to help but he not only doesn’t know how but also feels completely out of place with Kingsley and Søren; luckily for him Søren’s niece, Laila, comes to the rescue and in her he finds a kindred soul. Here comes my problem, Wesley was supposed to be crazy in love with Nora, but it only took him couple of hours next to Laila to leave his feelings behind and understand that Nora is not the woman right for him. Really?

Now to my second and biggest problem with this book and that problem has a name: Grace. Grace is Zach’s wife (The Siren, first book), for some reason she’s in the States and when she learns of Nora’s kidnapping she comes to the rescue too. But Grace is not only worrying about Nora she’s also lusting for Søren. She finds him fascinating and is dying to get in his pants, of course she is not as direct as that, but she’s there for him to give him some solace during those difficult times.
I really wanted to understand what was Grace role in all this but (IMO) she didn’t fit in anything. After reading the book and considering this for weeks I still don’t understand the “why” of having her in the story. She didn’t make sense at all. In one of the scenes she says something like ‘it didn’t make sense what she felt for Søren’ and I couldn’t agree more with her, it really didn’t make any sense, it only pissed me off. If Mrs. Reisz’s idea was to shake her readers and make them upset I can say that she succeed, especially after the WTF end.

If I talk about Grace I need to talk about Søren. I loved him in previous books and my heart hurt for him in this book, but sadly he also broke my heart. Søren is supposed to be devoted to Nora and Kingsley but in this book he did something so out of character that it not only left me speechless but also left me with heartache.

Kingsley stole the show in this book; I don’t think it’s possible for me to love him more. He’s suffering because Nora is kidnapped and suffering because the kidnapper is his own sister, if that wasn’t enough he’s also suffering because he’s seeing Søren in pain. He knows things won’t have a nice outcome and most probably he will have to kill his own sister; not a nice place to be.

Tiffany Reisz writing is still as spotless and enthralling as previous books, but sadly the out of character behaviors of Wesley and Søren and the unnecessary Grace’s drama made of The Mistress more of a Miss-tress (for me). Still, I’m eagerly looking forward to the release of next book, The Priest: A Romance.

The Mistress is a must read for fans of this series but for those who haven’t read previous books in the series The Mistress is not the book to start with.

My Verdict: 3 Paws

Other books in the series
The Mistress (July 30th)

The Priest (2014)

Other reviews Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. :( How sad! Great review! I totally understand your feelings. Now I'm expecting the worst, maybe it helps, but I afraid it wont. I'm a big fan of the author staying faithful to her characters, and it really makes me mad when they don't.
    We'll see :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm sorry this book fell flat for you in so many ways and to top it off left you very confused on a series that you enjoy so much. I've found that in several of the series that I really enjoy there is always at least one book that I didn't enjoy as much as the others, I hope this is that book for you and the rest are out of the park wonderful! :-) I also hope that you get some answers to the confusion you were left with in this book!!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...