Contact Me

Monday, July 22, 2013

Early Review: The Night Is Alive by Heather Graham


Title: The Night Is Alive
Author: Heather Graham
Series: Krewe of Hunters, book 10
Genre: Paranormal Romantic Suspense, Mystery
Publisher: MIRA (July 30th)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“It's a city of beauty, history...hauntings. And one of the most haunted places in Savannah is a tavern called The Dragonslayer, built in the 1750s. The current owner, Gus Anderson, is a descendant of the original innkeeper and his pirate brother, Blue.

Gus summons his granddaughter, Abigail, home from Virginia, where she's studying at the FBI Academy. When she arrives, she's devastated to find him dead. Murdered. But Abby soon learns that Gus isn't the only one to meet a brutal and untimely end; there've been at least two other victims. Then Captain Blue Anderson starts making ghostly appearances, and the FBI's paranormal investigation unit, the Krewe of Hunters, sends in Agent Malachi Gordon.

Abby and Malachi have a similar ability to connect with the dead...and a similar stubbornness. Sparks immediately begin to fly-sparks of attraction and discord. But as the death toll rises, they have to trust each other or they, too, might find themselves among the dead haunting old Savannah!”
The Night Is Alive is the tenth book in the Krewe of Hunters series by Heather Graham.

The Night Is Alive it was one of those books I enjoyed but at the same time had problems with it. My first problem was Abby, I know she is supposed to be newly graduated from the FBI but sometimes she was a bit too innocent for a person that is supposed to be in her line of work. For example, despite everything pointing to the killer as somebody Abby knew she always got upset with Malachi when he told her she needed to suspect everyone she knew. Her reactions not only made her feel like a rookie but also very immature.

I liked Malachi, my only problem with him was that on the beginning of the book he said something like this was his first case with the Krewe, that it was almost as a test to see if he fits with them or not, and then in the middle of the book he’s talking about The Krewe’s procedures as something he knew for experience and have done before. I don’t like incongruences in the stories and this bothered me.

The romance is not love at first sight, it takes sometime for them to realize there was an attraction, I liked that because it made it more believable, if falling in love in couple of days can be believable.

The romance also takes a backseat after the mystery and I was ok with that. But here we come to my second and biggest problem with the book. After some clues were discovered I kind of guessed who was the whodunit, but I doubted my guess all along because it was almost impossible for that person to do what he/she did. When at the end my guessed was confirmed it left me even more confused, and the more I think about it the more I’m sure that I’m right and it was simply impossible for that person to be the killer and do what he/she allegedly did. Sorry if I’m too vague about it but if I’m more specific I’ll give a big spoiler away.

I really enjoyed this series; I love how Mrs. Graham always keeps me on my toes guessing who the whodunit is and The Night Is Alive was not the exception. Even though this was not one of the best books in the series it was still an entertaining read.

My Verdict: 3 ½ Paws

Other books in the series
Phantom Evil
Heart of Evil
Sacred Evil
The Unspoken
The Night is Alive (July 30th)
The Night is Forever (September 24th)

Other reviews Goodreads


2 comments:

  1. I usually doubt my guess too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Marcela. I'm glad that even though you love the series you can give this book your honest review. We will never absolutely LOVE every book in the series that we read, but as long as the book scratches the itch that is all we can ask for. :-)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...