Contact Me

Monday, July 29, 2013

Early Review: Pitch Perfect by Sierra Dean


Title: Pitch Perfect
Author: Sierra Dean
Series: Boys of Summer, book 1
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Samhain Publishing 
(August 6th)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“She’d be the perfect catch if he could take his eye off the ball. 

Emmy Kasper knows exactly how lucky she is. In a sport with few opportunities for women at the pro level, she’s just landed her dream job as head athletic trainer for the San Francisco Felons baseball team. Screwing up is not an option.

She’s lost in thought as she pedals to the spring training facility, her mind abuzz with excitement as she rounds a corner—and plows head-on into two runners. The end of her career dances before her eyes when she realizes she’s almost run over the star pitcher.

As Tucker Lloyd watches the flustered Emmy escape with his bandana tied around her skinned knee, the view is a pleasant change from worrying about his flagging fastball. At thirty-six, the tail end of his career is glimmering on the horizon. If he can’t pull something extraordinary out of his ball cap, the new crop of rookies could make this season his last.

The last thing either of them needs is a distraction.

The last thing either of them expects is love.

Warning: Contains a down-on-his-luck pitcher, a good-girl athletic therapist, chemistry that’s out of the park and sexy times that’ll make them round all the bases.”
Pitch Perfect is the first book in the new Boys of Summer series by Sierra Dean.

Emmy Kasper is the daughter of a famous baseball player; growing up in the sport made her love baseball with an endless passion. After many hard working years she has finally earned a great position in the sport as the new head athletic trainer for the San Francisco Felons baseball team. Her first day on the job almost becomes her last when she almost runs over the star pitcher, Tucker Lloyd, with her bicycle.
Tucker Lloyd is back in the game after a major arm surgery and a long year of physical therapy. At age 36 he’s worried he won’t be able to keep with the demands of the job and will be trade to another team or even worse, will be force to retire.
Even though his first impression of Emmy wasn’t the best he can help it and finds her fascinating. She not only knows what she is doing but also she is hot as hell. But the last thing he needs right now is to be lusting after the head athletic trainer when he should be focusing in being 100% back in the game.
Emmy couldn’t be happier with her new job, working for the Felons is everything she has dreamed and more, the only inconvenience is her attraction to the star pitcher, an attraction that could become a distraction she cannot afford. But when they are force to work closely together fighting the sparks becomes harder than pitching a perfect game.

First let me tell you that I’m not a fan of baseball and even though I know the basics of the game I have never being into it, that was until I read this book and Sierra Dean made me bite my nails while reading a scene set during a game. OMG! The stress, the tension, the emotion! OK, I think I’m getting ahead of myself, let me go back a bit a start with the characters.

Sierra Dean always writes outstanding and lively characters and it was not an exception in Pitch Perfect.

I really loved Emmy, I loved that she is a mature woman who knows what she wants and has worked hard to get where she is; I also loved her sense of humor and her tenacity.

Tucker is not only dreamy but he’s also a gentleman. He is dealing with some personal struggles and doing the best he can with his circumstances. I loved how hard he fought for his dream and didn’t give up despite having some hard times ahead.

One thing I loved about Pitch Perfect is the romance. Since the moment Emmy and Tucker met there was a clear attraction, but their priorities were in the game and what they needed to do. Emmy also had a long distance boyfriend and even though the relationship was almost dead they knew getting involved wasn’t a good option when their focus should be somewhere else, so they became friends.  But luckily for us there was not much for them to do when their hearts demanded more. Seeing them fighting their attraction was not only entertaining but sexy as hell, and when they finally succumbed to their heart’s desires it was so hot the pages sizzled and left me in dire need of a cold shower.

In this book we also met Tucker’s best friend, Alex. Alex is also a player for the Felons and a delightful character to read. I loved how he teased Tucker and brought laughs and some comic relief when it was needed. Despite being easy going and fun it’s clear Alex’s life is not as fun and perfect and he pretends it to be. I can’t wait to learn more about him and really hope next book will be his book.

Another character I really liked is Emmy’s friend and assistant, Jasper. Jasper and Emmy have worked together for years and when the Felons hired her she brought him to the team to be her assistant. As Emmy, Jasper loves the game and loves his job. Jasper is gay and is always lusting after players and sometimes they are even lusting after the same guy with Emmy. Emmy and Jasper together are fun and entertaining and I can only hope for Jasper to have his own book or a novella.

As I said on the beginning, Sierra Dean brings to life the game of baseball and gives it center stage in Pitch Perfect. Even from a not fan of the sport’s point of view I can say I loved this book and all its baseball splendor.
Sierra’s writing is so vivid and realistic that it made me feel as if I were in the middle of the ballpark. I cheered with the spectators and agonized next to Emmy when the Felons and especially Tucker were playing.
Sierra Dean shows us once again that she is a master storyteller. I love her and her books so much that I’m pretty sure even her grocery list will be a delight to read.

Pitch Perfect is fun, sexy, entertaining and an overall a delectable read. Pitch Perfect is the perfect summer read or for those days when you want to read a pick-me-up book, one that will leave you grinning like the Cheshire cat.

I can’t wait to read more about this new baseball world Sierra Dean has brought to life.

My Verdict: 5 Paws

Other reviews Goodreads



3 comments:

  1. It made me like baseball, and I do not like baseball ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Marcela! I'm not the biggest fan of baseball, so it's been hard for me to even pick up a book that revolves around the game...however, you made me second guess that with this review. It sounds like a fun read, but I'll still hesitate and wait until book two releases before deciding if I'm going to pick it up. Also, the title reminds me of the movie, lol...I thought it was going to be about singing at first. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review Marcela! I agree with you 100%! :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...