Contact Me

Friday, July 12, 2013

Review: Mist by Susan Krinard


Title: Mist
Author: Susan Krinard
Series: Mist, book 1
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Tor Books
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“Centuries ago, all was lost in the Last Battle when the Norse gods and goddesses went to war. The elves, the giants, and the gods and goddesses themselves were all destroyed, leaving the Valkyrie Mist one of the only survivors.

Or so she thought.

When a snowy winter descends upon modern-day San Francisco in June, Mist’s quiet existence starts to feel all too familiar. In quick succession, Mist is attacked by a frost giant in a public park and runs into an elf disguised as a homeless person on the streets…and then the man Mist believed was her mortal boyfriend reveals himself to be the trickster god, Loki, alive and well after all these years.

Loki has big plans for the modern world, and he’s been hanging around Mist for access to a staff that once belonged to the great god Odin. Mist is certain of one thing: Loki must be stopped if there is to be any hope for Earth. But the fight is even bigger than she knows…”
Mist is the first book in the new Mist series by Susan Krinard.

After seeing that beautiful cover and reading the blurb I can say I had high expectations for this book. It sounded just like my cup of tea, but sadly after couple of pages into the story I was not only a bit lost but also cringing about a very, very wrong fact. If you know me you know I like my books to have its facts straight and when a author says something like “The forest on the border of Norway and Switzerland” I can’t help but look at the story with other eyes.

Mist is a book very rich in Norse mythology; I don’t have a problem with that, my problem is that Mrs. Krinard assumes that we all know about Norse mythology and just throws at us names of gods and mythological terms without any kind of explanation or clarification. Like I said before, I was little lost and not completely lost and that was thanks to Kevin Hearne and his The Druid Chronicles, if I had not read Mr. Hearne’s books I would have been completely lost with Mist; despite my basic knowledge of Norse mythology there were many terms and words I didn’t understand, this made it hard for me to connect with the story and the characters.

Talking about characters I had a serious problem with Mist, she is supposed to be an over thousand year old Valkyrie, but her behavior was sometimes so immature and irresponsible that I couldn’t believe she had survived that long without getting kill or something.
I know some of Mist’s stupid actions were because she was dealing with being tricked by Loki who had pretended to be Eric, the normal human Mist had been dating for months. Still I expected more from her than the scorned woman act.

Dainn is an elf with a dark past; he’s dealing with the consequences of something he did thousand years back and even though his real motives are not too clear I can honestly say I liked him a lot more than Mist.

Loki is another character I had problems with; I know he’s the trickster god and that he his progeny is of a vast variety thanks to his lack of reservations (if I can call it that) in the sex department. In Mist Mrs. Krinard wants to show us what kind of “person” he is, but I think she went too far with his characterization. There was a scene that I could have done without, I won’t say much about it not to give spoilers away, let’s just say “politician” with that you will know what I’m talking about when you read the book.

There were parts I like about Mist, like some interesting action scenes. I also like the idea of the gods looking for a new battleground in earth. The world building was interesting and complex, but it wasn’t enough to fully grab my interest.

Mrs. Krinard’s idea about this book is a good one but sadly it lacked some development. I tried, I really tried but at the end I couldn’t connect with the story or the characters and ended up skimming a lot.
I recommend you this book if you love Norse mythology, if you don’t stay away from it.
I’m not sure about reading the next book in this series, I think I’ll wait to read some reviews and decide then.

My Verdict: 2 ½ Paws

Other reviews Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. you're right but I confess I really liked this one but so many things. sorry it wasn't for you...

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...