Contact Me

Friday, August 23, 2013

Review: Elysian Fields by Suzanne Johnson


Title: Elysian Fields
Author: Suzanne Johnson
Series: Sentinels of New Orleans, book 3
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Tor Books
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“The mer feud has been settled, but life in South Louisiana still has more twists and turns than the muddy Mississippi.

New Orleanians are under attack from a copycat killer mimicking the crimes of a 1918 serial murderer known as the Axeman of New Orleans. Thanks to a tip from the undead pirate Jean Lafitte, DJ Jaco knows the attacks aren’t random—an unknown necromancer has resurrected the original Axeman of New Orleans, and his ultimate target is a certain blonde wizard. Namely, DJ.

Combating an undead serial killer as troubles pile up around her isn’t easy. Jake Warin’s loup-garou nature is spiraling downward, enigmatic neighbor Quince Randolph is acting weirder than ever, the Elders are insisting on lessons in elven magic from the world’s most annoying wizard, and former partner Alex Warin just turned up on DJ’s to-do list. Not to mention big maneuvers are afoot in the halls of preternatural power.

Suddenly, moving to the Beyond as Jean Lafitte’s pirate wench could be DJ’s best option.”
Elysian Fields is the third installment in the Sentinels of New Orleans series by Suzanne Johnson.

Elysian Fields starts couple of weeks after the events in River Road (second book). Drusilla Jaco best known as DJ is still recovering from the injuries she received in her last assignment (River Road), but her job doesn’t wait for her. A serial killer has been murdering people around New Orleans; it looks like a copycat of a famous 1900s murderer known as the Axeman.
After some investigating DJ realizes it’s not a copycat but the Axeman himself. He has come back from the dead and luckily for her it’s DJ’s job to stop him.
Things get more complicated for DJ when she becomes one of the Axeman’s targets. If dealing with a murderer undead wasn’t enough DJ also has to deal with Elders and Elven politics. Adding her creepy neighbor, Rand, the pirate Jean Lafitte, her ex-partner Alex Warin, and his cousin Jake Warin to the equation it’s a guarantee formula for disaster or at least for very entertaining moments.

I’m a little bit conflicted about this book; while there were parts I really liked there were others I could have done without them.

I liked the storyline with the Axeman, especially after we have learned the “reason” why he was able to come and attack so many people so frequently. I wanted to know why he was targeting DJ and who was behind his actions. I really liked the why of it; it was a surprise and a nice twist in the story.  Mrs. Johnson surprised me there and I liked to be surprised by an author.

What I didn’t like was that the DJ in Elysian Fields was more like the DJ in Royal Street (first book) than the DJ in River Road; what I want to say with this is that while there was a lot of character growth in River Road the feeling I had with Elysian Fields was that DJ went back to her old ways and lost what she had gained in growth. DJ made bad decisions after bad decisions and rushed blindly to situations without thinking about the consequences. I thought by now she should have known better, but sadly that was not the case.

In Elysian Fields I also had a problem in the romance department. Book after book DJ’s love interests have increase. DJ suffers from I-Like-All-Of-Them-And-They-All-Want-To-Be-With-Me syndrome. Almost every time a male character is introduce to the story that character ends up interested in DJ and in a way she reciprocates that interest. In this installment DJ not only has Alex, Jean Lafitte and Jake interested in her, but has also a new contender for her heart, her neighbor and Eugene’s boyfriend, Rand.
It’s clear that DJ likes Alex more than the others, but still she’s not 100% there and I don’t think she can commit to a serious relationship until she matures enough and stops flirting and considering every male that crosses her way. I’m afraid if DJ continues the through this path she can easily become another Anita Blake.

The main conflict in the story gets nicely tied up at the end, but it’s obvious that the repercussions of the events in Elysian Fields are yet to come.

Despite the problems I had with Elysian Fields I can honestly say that liked it and enjoyed reading it. Mrs. Johnson writing is fluid and engaging and the world building is complex, original and cleverly intermingled with the story.

I’m looking forward to next installments in the series. I can’t wait to see what Mrs. Johnson has in store for DJ and her men.

I recommend you to read this book if you like your urban fantasy with complex and interesting world building and kick ass heroines. I also recommend reading previous books first to get the whole Sentinels of New Orleans’ experience.

My Verdict: 3 ½ Stars

Other books in the series
Elysian Fields

Other reviews Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I really enjoyed Elysian Fields and would rate it 4.5. And yes I was irritated by D.J. but more with Rand. Suzanne did a good job giving us a character to hate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate Rand and his double agenda and I'm pretty sure I will hate him more in books to come.

      Delete
  2. thank you a lot for this honest review ^^ i still prefer jean lafitte ( and i want to punch Rand!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Jean Lafitte is my favorite character in the series. :)

      Delete
  3. I have this one, I really need to read it soon, so can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...