Contact Me

Monday, October 28, 2013

Early Review: The Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa



Title: The Iron Traitor
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, book 2
Genre: YA Fantasy
Publisher: Harlequin Teen (October 28th)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“In the real world, when you vanish into thin air for a week, people tend to notice. 

After his unexpected journey into the lands of the fey, Ethan Chase just wants to get back to normal. Well, as "normal" as you can be when you see faeries every day of your life. Suddenly the former loner with the bad reputation has someone to try for-his girlfriend, Kenzie. Never mind that he's forbidden to see her again. 

But when your name is Ethan Chase and your sister is one of the most powerful faeries in the Nevernever, "normal" simply isn't to be. For Ethan's nephew, Keirran, is missing, and may be on the verge of doing something unthinkable in the name of saving his own love. Something that will fracture the human and faery worlds forever, and give rise to the dangerous fey known as the Forgotten. As Ethan's and Keirran's fates entwine and Keirran slips further into darkness, Ethan's next choice may decide the fate of them all.”
The Iron Traitor is the second book in The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten by Julie Kagawa.

The Iron Traitor starts couple of days after the events in The Lost Prince (first book). Ethan is back to school and dealing with the aftermath of his and Kenzie’s disappearance. Kenzie is also recovering after a relapse of her illness. Ethan knows he didn’t force Kenzie to come with him, still he is feeling guilty because of her condition.
Ethan has had enough of the Fey and their machinations and plans to be as away of them as possible. All this changes when Meghan comes to ask for his help. Her son, Keirran, has disappeared and nobody knows where he is.  Ethan is pretty sure Keirran is looking for a cure to save his girlfriend, Annwyl, from her fate, and knowing Keirran Ethan also knows he will get in serious trouble doing it.
With no other option Ethan leaves in search of Keirran, leaving Kenzie behind.

Ethan is not a bad hero, but even though I haven’t been able to pinpoint it I feel like he lacks something if I compare him to Meghan, Ash and Puck.
Ethan hasn’t had an easy life and the fey made it even more complicated. He just wants to be left alone and try to have a normal life. In this installment he realizes he will never have a normal life and he should do what he can with what he has.
Ethan feels somehow responsible for his nephew and tries to protect him at all cost, something Keirran doesn’t make easy.

I really liked Kenzie, she is a very strong girl, she is dying and she knows it but that doesn’t deterred her to live the short life she has left. Kenzie also gives strength to Ethan. I really liked them together, I loved how Ethan found in Kenzie acceptance and understanding; something he was missing all his life. Their romance is bittersweet, they known the days together are counted and there is nothing they can do to change that. Still, they fight together for what they know is right and enjoy the time they have without blames or regrets.

Keirran oh Keirran! I wanted to hit him more than once. I know he’s young, immature and in love, but his actions in this book were so selfish and careless that it was painful to see. He didn’t care about his parents or anybody else. He did things in the name of saving Annwyl, but he never considered her feelings or her opinion. He did something at the end of the book that I couldn’t believe him capable of doing; I just hope he proves me wrong in future books.

I really liked that we see more of Meghan, Ash, Puck and Grimalkin in this book. We also visit new places in the Nevernever and met new characters. In the best Julie Kagawa’s style the world building is excellent, the story is compelling and the characters are entertaining.

It took me a while to get into The Iron Traitor, the first third of the book is a bit slow going, but later on it picks up the pace and it was impossible for me to put it down.
The end is a cliffhanger of sorts, one that left me dying to get my hands on the next installment in this series. 

I recommend this book to fans of the Iron Fey Series and to fans of YA fantasy. I also recommend reading this book after reading The Lost Prince.

My Verdict: 4 Paws

Other books in the series
The Iron Traitor (October 28th)

Other reviews Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. Eh, I could not get through the first series even if I really liked book 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only the second book in the series, not too late to get into to it. I have to be honest, I've totally curious because I like the covers. Maybe I'll give it go.
    Thanks Marcela, good job as always :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...