Contact Me

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Review: The Untamed Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley


Title: The Untamed Mackenzie
Author: Jennifer Ashley
Series: Highland Pleasures, book 5.5
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: InterMix
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“A WOMAN OF BREEDING MEETS A MAN OF NO STANDING…

To redeem her family’s disgraced name, Lady Louisa Scranton has decided to acquire a proper husband. He needs to be a man of fortune and highly respectable in order to restore both her family's lost wealth and reputation. She enters the Marriage Mart with all flags flying, determined to find the right bachelor.

But Louisa’s hopes are dashed when the Bishop of Hargate drops dead at her feet—and she is shockingly accused of murder! Soon, Louisa’s so-called friends begin shunning her, because the company of a suspected killer is never desirable in polite society.

The problem comes to the ears of Detective Inspector Lloyd Fellows, by-blow of the decadent Scottish Mackenzie family and an inspector for Scotland Yard. He has shared two passionate kisses with Lady Louisa–and vows to clear her name. For not only does he know she’s innocent, he recognizes he’s falling for the lovely lady.

Fellows is Louisa's only hope of restoring her family's honor—and it is he alone who intrigues Louisa in a way that may be even more scandalous than murder…”
The Untamed Mackenzie is the latest novella in the Highland Pleasures series by Jennifer Ashley.

Since the moment I read The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (first book in the series) I’ve been wondering about Detective Inspector Lloyd Fellows and his life before becoming part of the Mackenzie clan. In The Untamed Mackenzie we not only get glimpses of what his childhood was about, but we also see what inspired him to become the man he is.

I love seeing Fellows’ past, seeing his relationship with his mother and the dedication you can expect from an intense man like him.
Seeing him go against everything he is and lying to protect Lady Louisa only show us how emotionally involved he already was before starting this novella. This was thanks to some kisses he shared with Lady Louisa in previous books.

I liked Fellows very much but I can say the same about Lady Louisa. At times she felt too na├»ve and young for a man like Fellows (he’s supposed to be the oldest of the Mackenzies). Lady Louisa wanted Fellows, she knew her relationship will him will be frown upon by society and still went ahead without once considering the consequences for her or for her future children. I’m not saying she shouldn’t have chosen Fellows, what I’m saying if that I would have liked to see her consider what she was getting into before accepting everything without any thought about what a life with Fellows will imply for her. She just jumps in without any thought or consideration. This made her feel immature and somehow childish, I really was expecting more from her.

The pace of the book was a bit choppy; the first part of the book is slow paced while the last felt somehow rushed.

In regards to the romance, as I previously said, they were already half in love before the novella started. The chemistry was off the charts, but Lady Louisa’s shortcomings left me with the feeling that she was not a perfect match for Fellows. I would have liked a stronger, smarter and a bit older heroine for him.

The mystery was interesting enough to keep me wondering, but it was impossible to guess the whodunit because Mrs. Ashley didn’t give us much to go on. This is one of the cases in which the author tells us instead of showing us. I know Mrs. Ashley had to do it to keep this book short, but I would have preferred to get a longer book in which this things would have panned out a bit better, not only in the mystery department, but regarding Lady Louisa as well.

One thing I really loved about this book was seeing the other Mackenzies, especially Daniel. His participation in this novella only increased my interest in his book, The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie.

If you are a fan of this series The Untamed Mackenzie is a must read for you. If you are new to this series I recommend you to start with The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie and go from there. Don’t let this review discourage you. Although I had some problems with The Untamed Mackenzie I can honestly say that I enjoyed reading it and visiting one of my favorite “historical families”. Highland Pleasures series by Jennifer Ashley is and will always be one of my favorite historical series and one I can recommend enough.

My Verdict: 3 ½ Paws

Other books in the series
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie
Lady Isabella’s Scandalous Marriage
The Many Sins of Lord Cameron
The Duke’s Perfect Wife
Mackenzie Family Christmas: The Perfect Gift (Novella)
The Seduction of Elliot McBride
The Untamed Mackenzie (Novella)
The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie
Rules For A Proper Governess (October 7th, 2014)

Other reviews Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. I love, love this series, but I haven't check any of the novellas out, The Mackenzie Family Christmas is coming out on audio soon :) so I will take a listen.
    I just added the rest to my TBR, thanks for reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I still got my Ian book to read

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...